Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EmZee712

Doom 1 Megawad Project - Calling Mappers

I can't log into my email programme for some reason, bloody crap Microsoft Outlook. Just wanted to let you know I'm still in on the project :) I haven't got the programs you asked about so I'll look into downloading them tomorrow!

who's doing which levels?
I dont want any episode 1 levels as they will undoubtedly be the most popular and I'm bored with techbases, I will be happy to do some of the episode 2 levels though.

EmZee712 said:

Since there is 4 episodes and 9 levels I was thinking each mapper could do a total of 4 maps each map would be for every episode, following the classic tradition of "descending to hell".

As far as I understood, each one does one for each episode. I think what we should agree on is what level of each episode you want (I'll take any that are not boss levels :P )

I think that we should be able to choose which maps that we do, otherwise someone will be stuck with 4 boss levels

not precisely: you may choose levle 3 on ep 1, level 5 on ep 2, boss fight on ep 3 and secret level on ep 4. As an example. Let's see what EmZee712 says...

I pretty much don't care which level of which episode - though folks should know who makes M1 and M8 of each episode, since they are somehow special cases.
The M9 ones should rather be done by someone who does unconventional/abstract work.

I did have a issue with the same thing of map order and what each mapper does. I am stuck on who will do the boss maps, and I've concluded that only E1M8 and E3M9 will be the boss maps, and if push comes to shove then I'll do those maps myself and drop my Map1 lineup

But if someone is stuck with M8 lineup, they will just have to do one boss battle and that will be the Barons of Hell match. Next will be whoever is placed in M9 lineup, they won't have to really worry about anything because they will have a Spider Mastermind arena to do.

If possible I'd like to bag E3M1, cos I've got an idea for a theme where you cross from the mortal realm into the borders of hell.

Here are my initial ideas for my maps, maybe they will help the project author decide where to fit them:

E1M? - Untitled UAC Base map
Heavy with nostalgia while retaining a modern playing style - i.e. not just another crate room/Ultimate Doom Episode 1 map. Inspired by the project I've just finished mapping for where we re-vamped 1994 levels to modern standards. Maybe this could represent the player being sent to the UAC's actual original headquarters on a mission to destroy everything.

E2M? - Untitled map
Not put too much thought into this one yet - will probably be a fairly difficult outdoor map with lots of enemies to fight and canyons/valleys to explore.

E3M1 - Acheron Now
Sort of a tribute to Dr Sleep's early work. Again, heavy on the nostalgia, featuring the player fighting through an outpost to cross the River Acheron. There will be allusions to the "Crossing Acheron" map without being a copy or a re-working of it. This map will start the player in an outdoors area overlooking a huge river. On your side the walls are of normal rock; on the other side the terrain changes to become hellish, with the outpost on the river representing the crossing point between earth and the afterlife.

E4M? - By Inferno's Light
This was going to be a standalone Doom 2 ZDoom map which I started for a speedmapping project before realising it is impossible for a new mapper to make a level in 100 minutes. The map is not very large at present but follows the descent into the dark heart of a volcanic mountain in hell. It could easily be re-tooled to work with vanilla Doom.

MajorRawne - I've already taken the spot for Map1, but we do still need to fill in E1M2

D_GARG - nope not all slots have been taken, I'll try to edit the maps that we have filled and which ones we need

EmZee712 said:

D_GARG - nope not all slots have been taken, I'll try to edit the maps that we have filled and which ones we need

i wait for signal if i am welcome

Good news! I got someone dru- I mean convinced enough to do Maps 9 and 8 for me. Luckily it was two separate people who are easiest to come into contact with, so now all thats left is the regular maps if anyone wants to have a go at em!

esselfortium said:

Malinku, in that second shot...where is the liquid on the sladwall platform actually coming from to flow downwards out of it? :P

I thought everybody knew this?...

Ahh, the life of a barrel-imp...

OK Guys.

I have made what I thought in original Idea should be E2M1 but I noticed that this had potential to become any later techmap for episode 1 or 2.

So, the map is almost done, and for the difficulty, I would like to know were you want to put my map.

OP decides, he know what to do.

Would it be cheating if I submitted my incomplete episode 2 (E2M1-E2M5 + E2M9) as part of the megawad? If so, check the maps in my signature link for download.

All 6 maps have a similar theming to the IWAD maps, especially E2M1, E2M2 and E2M4.

Can I just do two maps then - "Acheron Now" and "By Inferno's Light", from episodes 3 and 4 respectgively. Taking four on is a bit much for me at this time. That leaves my slots free in eps 1 and 2. EDIT: I suppose both these maps could come from the same episode cos they both have a theme of progressing into hell.

Sorry MajorRawne, I just don't want anyone to underwork or overwork on this project and it's alot easier to keep everyone organized if I just have the 9 mappers not 9 and 1/2

EmZee712 said:

Sorry MajorRawne, I just don't want anyone to underwork or overwork on this project and it's alot easier to keep everyone organized if I just have the 9 mappers not 9 and 1/2

which are theese 9 ?

and when do we know?

I have to say I am quiting this project, as I got turned in for my own episode. Sorry about that...

As also said in the first post:
"What maps a mapper does depends on what Map # they received. E.G. If a mapper is suppose to do Map5 he is to do the same Map5 for Episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4, I choose this method because it helps me keep all the maps organized to their respectful owner and I know exactly what to expect when I get a map back."

So to answer your question, for all episodes

hmmm 4 maps individually variating? now this is rally exiting :D

you will not get dissapointed