Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InvertCube

What Ports are used in the Doom Community and What They are used for!

What Ports are used in the Doom Community and What They are used for! There have 2 threads in the past asking what Ports People Use?
"Super Jamie" suggested that someone take all the results from all the port threads and compile a spreadsheet.
I have compiled this information from the following threads;
What Source Port do you commonly use? Posted by "Necros20"
Link: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/51110-what-source-port-do-you-commonly-use/

What Ports do you use? posted by: "Kagemaru_H", Link to thread: doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/50056-what-ports-do-you-use/

Best source port? posted by "maxrebo6"
Link: doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/48406-best-source-port/
(If your name is mentioned and you would prefer it be removed, respond and your name will become anonymous)

This is all the information collected. There are 14 various uses that were mentioned for select ports. A few reasons are; Single payer Multi-Player, Making Maps for, Testing, and used for Everything, etc.

Each number stands for a mention of that specific use.
People may use multiple ports, that is why a tally is a mention rather then person.

I see how this is an interesting topic but to be honest, even with this information, I suggest that you use the port you prefer and not try to cater to the most used port!

It seems Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, ZDoom, GZDoom, Eternity,
and SkullTag, Odamex for Multilayer, are the most commonly used ports mentioned in the source Threads.

The list of Engines not mentioned by any one: Doom 2.exe., and jHeritic.

The list of Source Ports mentioned in the forum threads are as follows: Doom95, Vanilla Doom, Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, PrBoom+, GLBoom+, Zdoom, GZDoom, ZDaemon, SkullTag, Odamex, EDGE, Eternity, ReMooD, Doomsday, Risen 3D, and Doom Legacy.

Dos Doxbox, Doom.exe, and SLIGE is not a port but people said they used it!

Single Player:
Doomsday ----- 1,
ReMooD ------- 1
EDGE --------- 2
PrBoom-------- 2
Skull Tag ---- 3
Eternity ----- 5
PrBoom+ ------ 7
GZDoom ------- 8
Chocolate Doom 9
Zdoom ------- 14

Multi-Player/internet play:
Chocolate Doom 1,
ZDaemon ------ 3,
Odamex ------- 5,
SkullTag ---- 6,
Making Maps/Editing:
Chocolate Doom 1,
Eternity ----- 1,
PrBoom ------- 1,
Zdoom -------- 1,
GZDoom ------- 1,
ReMooD ------- 1.

Making/Editing soundblaster packs:
Dos box 1.

Modding:
PrBoom -- 1,
SkullTag 1,
Eternity 1,
Zdoom --- 2,
GZDoom -- 2,
EDGE ---- 2,

Invasion mode:
Skull Tag 1.

Testing:
Eternity ----- 1,
ReMooD ------ 1,
Chocolate Doom 2,
PrBoom ------- 2,
Zdoom ------- 3,

Everything:
Dosbox ------- 1,
Chocolate Doom 1,
LBoom+ ------- 1,
PrBoom+ ------ 1,
ZDaemon ------ 1,
Vanilla Doom - 1,
SkullTag ----- 1,
ZDoom -------- 3,
EDGE --------- 3,
Eternity ----- 5,
GZDoom ------- 8,

Doom Legacy -- 1,
2 people use all the ports they can download).

Occasionally:
Chocolate Doom 1,
GZDoom ------- 1,
Risen 3D ----- 1.

Crazy features (too many to mention):

SkullTag 1,
Eternity 2,
GZDoom 3.

Recording Demos:
PrDoom 1,
Eternity 1,
Slige 1.

Watching Demos:
Dosbox 1,
PrBoom 1,
PrBoom+ 1.

It seems Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, ZDoom, GZDoom, Eternity, and Skull Tag, Odamex for Multilayer, are the most commonly used ports mentioned in the source Threads.

Total Amount of over all Mentions for all listed Ports:
Doom 2.exe---- 0 (not a port)
Doom95 --------0
Doomsday-------1
Doom Legacy----1
GLBoom+ -------1
Risen 3D-------1
SLIGE -------1 (not a port)
Vanilla Doom --1
ReMooD---------3
Dosbox --------4
ZDaemon -------4
Odamex --------5
EDGE ----------7
PrBoom-------- 8
PrBoom+ -------9
SkullTag ------13
Chocolate Doom 15
Eternity ------16
Zdoom ---------23
GZDoom --------23
2 people use all the ports I can download.

People Who Don't Use this Source Port Any More:
Dosbox 1
Doom95 3
DoomsDay 3

People who don't like an older Doomsday Launcher: 3 people

Yeah, seeing "dos box" as a port is weird. DOSBox is not a port, it's a DOS emulator. Presumably the guys who said "DOSBox" implied that they used vanilla rather than a port, though maybe they used old DOS ports like Boom or MBF.

Also EE == Eternity. It's the abbreviation for "Eternity Engine".

Also also, PrBoom+ and GLBoom+ are kinda the same port; just different renderers for it.

Sorry for my sheer ignorance, I pretty much only use gzdoom. I just wrote what everyone said on the forums I used. I'll be sure to make a few corrections to the list.

Wow, that's quite alot of work!

As expected, the ZDooms are the most popular ports, though by much more of a margin than I would have thought. I wonder how many Chocolate users play it exclusively, considering most major projects these days are (at the very least) limit-removing? Nice to see Eternity get a solid mention too.

I primarily use Chocolate, and I've still got a huge stack of vanilla wads to go through. (Also, I have my own limit extending build ala Doom2+, so that's not even an issue, but I haven't used it extensively yet.) Not exclusive, but pretty close.

Never_Again said:
I don't see what it accomplishes besides stating that GZDoom is the most popular port.

And here on Doomworld, according to users of the site that have enough interest to post. I also get the impression that PrBoom+ and Eternity have increased their user bases since the older threads were made, and the collection omits the evidence that many do use the original executable here. Besides, how are people who use various engines counted? What really constitutes use? Heh, the multiplayer section seems to imply Odamex is used almost as much as Skulltag and more than ZDaemon, and that shows that these numbers mean next to nothing even as far as the visibly active community is concerned. We have very little idea how many people are playing DOOM around the world and using what. The most widely used may well be Doom95, it's just that it's likely that the people that use it, probably nowhere as regularly as we use whatever we use, don't come here at all. The popularity of DOSBox also shows that it's likely that enough of the over two million people that bought the games (not to mention the many that didn't buy them but got them anyway) may well be playing them now and then, in their DOS form.

myk said:

The most widely used may well be Doom95, it's just that it's likely that the people that use it, probably nowhere as regularly as we use whatever we use, don't come here at all.

I think DoomsDay is clear winner in such aspect. I even think that doomsday's user base is at least 3x bigger than all others together. At least few years ago, before DoomDay got stuck with endless (useless?) 1.9 betas.

And let's not forget that the average Doomsday user rarely comes here, too.

Most of the ZDoom forum regulars also never or very rarely post here.

This only samples a group of people who are very actively using Doom (and it's only a subset of the more active people!) and therefore is not representative.

entryway said:

I think DoomsDay is clear winner in such aspect. I even think that doomsday's user base is at least 3x bigger than all others together. At least few years ago, before DoomDay got stuck with endless (useless?) 1.9 betas.

I think the ratio has lowered since then. 5 years ago Doomsday basically was the only game in town for playing with hardware acceleration. But today I think that PrBoom+ and GZDoom have taken over a significant amount of these people.

Graf Zahl said:

But today I think that PrBoom+ and GZDoom have taken over a significant amount of these people.

200k downloads for DoomsDay 1.8.6 and 3k for prboom-plus 2.5.0.6 and 24k for all versions together. ~1.5% is not significant amount, heh. For (G)ZDoom - probably, but not for prboom+.

I use Zdoom mainly because of it's smooth framerate over all, and that it's simple just to load up and play, as well as having the ability to choose which IWAD to use, unlike Chocolate Doom which I use when I want to play old-school.

entryway said:

DoomDay got stuck with endless (useless?) 1.9 betas.

How exactly are we "stuck"? The version number hasn't changed much but its about the only thing that hasn't. As I've said time and time again; Doomsday is in the middle of a complete rewrite, i.e., everything. I fail to see how this is "useless" considering the huge amount of progress made since the last stable release.

DaniJ said:

How exactly are we "stuck"?

Where I am wrong and what is not important:

1. You do not have releases 5+ years (betas are not stable and are not recommended, 1.8.6 has some annoying issues which are not fixed since 2005)

2. In terms of Doom you get regression (you can't play correctly Doom levels you could)

3. Still no Boom support (you can't play correctly Boom levels)

4. Most active talented mappers (all I know) switched to gzdoom/boom (you have no DoomsDay levels)

well... the multiplayer mentions don't really say anything. doomworld isn't exactly the right place to mirror the online dooming reality. skulltagers are considered immature furfag idiots, admitting to playing zdaemon is almost like admitting to fucking your sister while praying to hitler... and the whole 4 person odamex player base posts here, so they get so many hits. :)

DaniJ said:

How exactly are we "stuck"?

You aren't tacking numbers on the end. For example, 2.5.0.6 is obviously superior to 2.5.0b6. Duh!

Super Jamie said:

Wow, that's quite alot of work!

As expected, the ZDooms are the most popular ports, though by much more of a margin than I would have thought. I wonder how many Chocolate users play it exclusively, considering most major projects these days are (at the very least) limit-removing? Nice to see Eternity get a solid mention too.

Thanks, it took me an hour to shift through the threads, then I had to take the collected information and type it out on an new post.
I did this because a guy said, "some one should compile the info."
I thought I could do it since I figured no one else would be crazy enough to do it, plus some people think it is pointless!

entryway said:

1. You do not have releases 5+ years (betas are not stable and are not recommended, 1.8.6 has some annoying issues which are not fixed since 2005)

2. In terms of Doom you get regression (you can't play correctly Doom levels you could)

3. Still no Boom support (you can't play correctly Boom levels)

4. Most active talented mappers (all I know) switched to gzdoom/boom (you have no DoomsDay levels)

Do officially released betas not count as "proper" releases? Where is the sense in forcefully obsoleting earlier releases when the version you are releasing does not fully support everything its "predecessor" does?

The 1.9.0-BetaX naming convention is for historical reasons only. When we get there, the "full release" will be 2.0

Why bother fixing issues in the 1.8.6 codebase when the design we have in mind for 2.0 is radically different? To my knowledge there are no serious issues with the 1.8.6 release (ignoring a couple of legacy caveats) which prevent it from being used for everyday play.

Short-term regression is inevitable when completely redesigning. Well, perhaps not with a full test environment stocked with well thought-out test suites. An automated test environment has already been integrated for the Beta7 series however.

On the other hand, I must point out that although there is a few (very) minor regressions with mod compatibility, there are in fact a lot more mods running in Doomsday now than ever; internal node builder, fault-tolerant map interpretation, public map load/edit API...

Full "Boom support" is in the 2.0 roadmap and we are slowly but steadily getting there. I can appreciate that from a user's pov this is a really big deal, even more so given how long its been promised. However from our pov its just as important that we implement it in a way that is not going to affect our other plans. So it's got the back seat.

DaniJ said:

Do officially released betas not count as "proper" releases? Where is the sense in forcefully obsoleting earlier releases when the version you are releasing does not fully support everything its "predecessor" does?

Some users don't care is it "officially" or not, bacause it's still "in beta stage" and they want a "release" version. :p

But, I think not every user care it is a beta or not.
(I don't care, but I won't using 1.9.0 betas and the bugged 1.8.6 release. I rather waiting the 2.0 for more supported features.)

Wait... where is Legacy 2.0?... *flee*

I use Doomsday for casual playing and modding. Currently playing Plutonia 2 with it. The 6.9 got some few (maybe 4, including when I played Plutonia 1) unexplained crashes and some graphical anomalies with some vanilla tricks (which don't matter for gameplay), other than that, it's working just fine. Sometimes I use GZDoom for (G)ZDoom maps that I want to play.

Jimi said:

I use Doomsday for casual playing and modding. Currently playing Plutonia 2 with it. The 6.9 got some few (maybe 4, including when I played Plutonia 1) unexplained crashes

They most likely depend from SDL_mixer. SDL_mixer does not work correctly in multicore environment. You can use psexec.exe utility to force DoomsDay to use only single core:

psexec.exe -a 1 doomsday.exe

Well, I use the directsound for sounds, sdl was too weird for sounds to me.

I'd have to say that Doomsday is my personal favorite when it comes to looks. I haven't seen any other engine that looks nearly as good. But, unfortunately, most new level sets that I see tend to need zdoom or gzdoom to work.

I also like scoredoom, but not sure if that counts.

Jimi said:

Well, I use the directsound for sounds, sdl was too weird for sounds to me.

Which is probably done through SDL