Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, been a little bit inactive on here but I took tutorials on the Doom Builder and all that fun stuff, and the time has come for me to be finishing my first map, however I have a quick question.

During the point in which I got this error, I was making multiple lines (copy and pasting) as W1 teleport (monsters only) as the action. When I went to test the map, it gave me the following error, but the game still loaded and there were no errors in game...

"Unable to build the nodes: The nodebuilder has failed to build the expected data structures. The map will be saved without the nodes."

Now I didn't go back and test the whole entire map again, but I'm really hoping everything stayed the same. Anybody who knows about this error, even if it's not that big of an error (because when testing, it doesn't seem to be..), please let me know whats up.

Thanks in advanced.

just try and ' make sector' in all your sectors.

Make sectors mode.

We're probably going to have to examine the wad in order to tell you what went wrong. Some simple maps can work without a node tree at all, or depending on the nodesbuilder used, if you were to run the map in a port that automatically builds the nodes, it's still possible to play the map without any ill effects.

But just because the map works doesn't mean you should ignore any errors! So, some things we need to know are: what source port are you using and what nodesbuilder is Doombuilder compiling the map with?

I also suggest throwing the wad up somewhere so we take a look. When you run an error-checker on the map, does anything crop up, like 0-length linedefs, invalid sector references, or linedefs without a front sidedef?

Are you using DB2? Because I know that DB1 would often give me that error, and usually I would just close and re-open the wad and it would say "unused vertex/line/sector removed" and then it would work.

I believe I'm using the first Doom Builder. My only guess is that the lines that I made for (W1 teleport monsters only) stretches outside the sectors they are in, due to a sloppy copy and pasting job by yours truely ^_^.

And take note, it's 2 different rooms that these lines strech outside the sectors. I made hundreds of these lines in EACH room so that I can teleport multiple monsters that might walk passed the first one. Like I said, no real issues with the game, although testing the map from beginning to the point where I'm at now, I did notice a new flaw.

In certain sectors maybe about halfway through my map, they start to get really really choppy and slow which makes the gameplay atrocious. There is not too much design in these sectors.. just a few (W1 open stay) doors/lines, and a decent amount of enemies, but further in the level there are even MORE enemies, yet no choppyness whatsoever.

As for errors that I get when I do the map analysis mode, it tells me 3 different sectors are NOT closed, however I'm about 99.9% sure they are. First off, these 3 sectors are in the 2 rooms that are NOT accessible in any way unless you clip through walls. These 2 rooms are meant to hold all the enemies that walk through the teleporter into the main room that the player SHOULD be in. The other 200 errors are because of "Linedefs are overlapping and references different sectors". (which I believe is because these linedefs, as I said earlier, stretch OUTSIDE of the sector they are in because of a sloppy copy and pasting job). After saving my work, closing DB and opening it again does not seem to solve either issue I have at the moment.

Let me point out that I am also a noob when it comes to computers, however I'm a fast learner, which is why I decided to start my mapping a couple of days ago. So let me start by saying, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by source port, or what nodesbuilder is DoomBuilder compiling the map with. Apologies in advanced for being a noob fresh off the press! ^_^

SevenYearItch said:

And take note, it's 2 different rooms that these lines strech outside the sectors. I made hundreds of these lines in EACH room so that I can teleport multiple monsters that might walk passed the first one. Like I said, no real issues with the game, although testing the map from beginning to the point where I'm at now, I did notice a new flaw.

Hmmm, not QUITE sure what you mean with this, but cant you just use a WR tag instead of W1?

Actually yea you're right, I can make that line repeatable for teleport monsters only, and still have the portal one way for monsters? I was thinking about that, but whenever I put one line in there, it seemed that since there was only one teleport destination, only a certain amount of the monsters would come through, and once they PASSED the line they are supposed to teleport from, they would not turn around and go back for the sole fact that they are trying to walk TOWARDS me, regardless of being in a separate room on the other side of the map.

I can retry this but deleting those lines will take an eternity. And with all due respect I don't think it's going to solve the laggy room problem, although it might. Is there any way to select all the lines at once instead of clicking each one and then deleting?

Sorry for being such a noob, but I'm very anxious to release my first map ever. I also do not see an attachment area so that I can put my wad in a post on these forums. I will gladly send the WAD to whomever thinks they can fix the issue. Thanks for the help thusfar gentlemen ^_^.

Aha, I see what you mean now. I`m doing the exact same thing in the map I`m working on right now; having lots of monsters spawn from the same spot.

Still not quite sure how you have done it, but feel free to send me the wad (mediafire or something) and I`ll have a look!

Wow I understand now, that is one god damn clever design to make it work. I had a square room with multiple linedefs. That won't even take too long to set up, I can definitely do that. Thanks dude!

I'm going to do this now and see if perhaps deleting so many linedefs will fix the issue I have with the EXTREMELY choppy sectors.

@darkreaver - I will sent you the map once I actually finish it, I'm like 95% done I just need to add like a room or 2 and then the exit. Before that, like I said, I'm going to see if the idea of deleting these hundred of linedefs fixes the laggy issue.. if it does I'll just post it on the WADS/MODS section once I'm finished ^_^.

Thanks again guys!

Sorry for the double post, but let it be known that deleting all the line defs solved both of my problems, there is now no error when I start up the level for testing, as well as no choppyness in the sectors that there were before I deleted the linedefs.

Thanks very much for the help magicsofa, darkreaver.