Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doomers and Tetris

I've been kinda wondering this for a while now. When I map I usually try to stick to a strict habit of making sure textures are aligned. I'm usually pretty good at doing so.

However another thing I know I'm really good at is playing tetris. I like to think that tetris and aligning textures are very much alike. I can see the correlation between assembling blocks to fit in the most compact spaces to create lines and applying textures to lines with certain lengths and heights. Would you agree? I'd like to hear from those that are really nitpicky about aligning textures in your maps. Are you also good at tetris?

EDIT: Also Tetris in case you hadn't played in a while.

I'm not -that- nitpicky, although over time I have gained more and more desire to make things line up perfectly. Generally I don't bother much when I have lots of rock textures on strangely shaped surfaces whose odd lengths mean they will never actually be aligned :D

I am pretty good at tetris. I'm not amazing, but I did play freetetris for a long time (for some reason the one I downloaded is called tetris extreme, but it's the same thing). I believe I've gotten to level 30 starting from 10

I'm not sure about the correlation. I feel that texture alignment doesn't usually require "skill," it's really just mundane arithmetic and tedious attention to detail. People don't have misaligned or cut off textures because they aren't a skilled mapper per-se, it's just that they aren't taking the time to make this ledge 24 units instead of 32 and moving that lower texture's y axis to compensate for height differences. I suppose, 3d-mode editing is the spoiler here. It does take real skill to do all that without being able to look at it in-editor and move stuff around visually.

Anyway, the thing is that tetris takes serious analytical processing which I would not expect to find in texture aligning. It's more about thinking ahead, since you can't go back and change what you did. In a sense there is a connection between thinking ahead in tetris - as in, what structures am I creating and how can other things fit into them, or how can I use this piece to create a perfect spot for the next one - and thinking ahead in texturing - as in, how can I construct things of the right shape so that textures will align nicely and not get cut off.

I guess they are related skills, such that people who are horrible at one thing are more likely to be horrible at the other. But I don't think it's a very strong relationship.

Tetris is a time based game with alot of stress. Mapping is just chill (except speedmapping). I wouldn't compare mapping with tetris even though I'm pretty bad at both :P