Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

8bit killer

The thing that struck me and that I really when I played this was the color. Vibrant high-chroma colors need to make a comeback because they really make an otherwise simple game pop.

Agreed! The lack of colours in Fallout 3 depressed me so much I added a weather mod just so I could have some blue-sky days. Oblivion has some nice colours, moreso if you have some of the nicer texture mods. Its expansion has loads of colourful places. Games that use colours to specific ends are also cool. Portal comes to mind.

What bugs me about this game is you can't run. I'm used to old-school FPS games letting you run at ludicrous speed.

I've never heard this game before so thanks sgtcrispy cause I'm going to play it right now :D

This is pretty awesome! I wonder how it would have done if it was released in 1992 or 1993. I found this more fun than Wolfenstein 3D, despite this engine appearing to be a similar tech level.

TheUltimateDoomer said:

Imagine if it came out in '88.

Nah, I think that would not have been possible, considering Wolfenstein 3D only came out in 1992. :P

Spleen said:

This is pretty awesome! I wonder how it would have done if it was released in 1992 or 1993. I found this more fun than Wolfenstein 3D, despite this engine appearing to be a similar tech level.

I'd say it's much more fun than Wolf 3D, as should be expected - we've had about twenty years since Wolf 3D to figure out how to make simple games fun. Here we've got projectile-based combat, which is usually more interesting than ducking behind cover to avoid hitscan attacks; we've got maps that aren't too big to keep mental track of; we've got an interesting progression in the arsenal and bestiary; we've got sneak attacks and monsters that are scripted to spawn in previously cleared areas to keep backtracking from being dull; we've got etc. It's a very good game which couldn't possibly exist back around '92 because the creator takes advantage of modern knowledge about gaming to make a better "old-fashioned" game. The game's soundtrack is the same way. Back on the NES, music sounded the way that it did because it had to. However, this game's music sounds simple and chippy because it should, and the composer uses the conventions of some more recent streams of techno music to enhance the effect.

Csonicgo said:

Pushwall secrets galore! I died at the last boss and used every continue ;_;

I only found one secret. I never died, though. I guess I'm just awesome.

8bit Killer eh?

Well, it definitely killed my machine. Upon displaying the splash screen, it caused my entire system to stall, forcing me to manually turn my machine off. Kudos to the game, since i've never had this happen to this computer for nearly 3 years.

Time for a driver hunt methinks. :p

A game like this might have been made in 1992. It would have run slowly on most machines. This engine has doors that are 3D blocks, flats and different heights. I found very limited usage of the varying heights (because it's supposed to look primitive), but they were in there (the long dining table...). Creaphis is spot on. Very few games from then would have used the conventions he mentioned.

I think he's using Direct3D to render the world. I noticed some "fighting" of a wall texture from a pushwall on another hallway a few rooms over.

I really enjoyed this! I love these sort of oldschool, pixelated, NES-esq looking games. The pixelated look really appeals to me. And not to mention it was a lot of fun.

Oh and the music rocked my socks :O

This was quite a fun game. Shame you couldn't save, he could have added a password system to add to the feel however.

Csonicgo said:

I think he's using Direct3D to render the world. I noticed some "fighting" of a wall texture from a pushwall on another hallway a few rooms over.

I'm 99% sure he made the game using Game Maker, if you check out his other projects you can see that its what he used to develop them all, as well as the beginning splash screen resembles those required by Game Maker.

Personally I don't like Game Maker, but in the right hands people make pretty cool games such as these.

Only problem with Game Maker, though, is if for some reason your computer does not support DirectX 9 drawing surfaces, games will refuse to run at all.

Which is terrible, because my 600 MHz P3 laptop really ought to be able to run this and Spelunky, but due to lacking DX9 support, Game Maker games don't even try to run.