Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

Eurovision 2010 (winner: germany), yay!

I would have preferred Turkey or Iceland, but Germany wasn't bad either. Actually, there were surprisingly few bad songs in the finals this time. Congrats.

I would rather that they nuked the stadium and removed all the retards taking part. That way, humanity wins. :P

I can't remember when Eurovision wasn't a joke - and I can remember it back to the late '60s. The funniest thing in recent years is how all the ex Soviet bloc countries treat it with great reverence and international political importance.

Enjay said:

I would rather that they nuked the stadium and removed all the retards taking part. That way, humanity wins. :P

I can't remember when Eurovision wasn't a joke - and I can remember it back to the late '60s. The funniest thing in recent years is how all the ex Soviet bloc countries treat it with great reverence and international political importance.

If you ask me, most people take Eurovision way too seriously. For me it's a chance once in a year to listen to music that I would never otherwise hear anywhere (partially because I don't normally listen to that stuff, and partially because, for example, Balkan music never gets here). The competition itself is, and should be, secondary. All that should matter is that for once you can indulge yourself on different kinds of music once (or thrice, if you watch the semis :P) in a year.

Come on, it's only for one night. It's not so much, you can just as well watch it instead of playing Doom every night - there's still 364 other nights in the year left for Doom and for being all serious and grumpy.

Without being serious and grumpy, what's left? ;)

The problem with Eurovision, for me, is that although it may give an opportunity to hear a different kind of music, it's almost exclusively shit music that it allows you to hear. I'm quite open to hearing different types of music and music from countries that it isn't easy to be exposed to. That's fine. However, I'd just like it to be music that I could enjoy as opposed to bland "big performance" over produced, trite, not-going-to-offend-anyone-because-we-are-going-for-a-prize garbage.

I also don't buy in to the "Eurovision party" thing either. If I want to have a party, I don't need the excuse of some third rate "entertainers" dressed in '80s-like clothing belting out some bad Euro-pop to do it. In fact, such a thing is pretty much the antithesis of what I would want to trigger a party.

Also, the one opportunity a year to be exposed to such music doesn't really wash with me either because, if you want to, you can seek it out when you like and not just have to put up with the pre-packaged horror that is Eurovision.

inb4 Ask me about Eurovision. :P

Actually, as a matter of interest, I would be interested to know what the various attitudes of the different countries are to Eurovision. Despite the fact that is is a popular event in the UK, I think that it is fair to say that it is regarded as a massive cheese-fest and everyone knows that they are buying in to an evening of the most extreme kind of kitsch. For years now, our TV coverage of the event has been characterised by the UK presenter being bitingly sarcastic and dismissive of the various entrants and the event itself. This, of course, was pioneered and maintained for many years by Terry Wogan but Graham Norton has continued in a similar, if more subdued, tone since he took over.

In other words, in the UK, I think that it would be fair to say that the general opinion of Eurovision is that it is a weird, cheesy, strange event populated by "funny" Europeans (particularly Eastern Europeans these days) who take it far too seriously. Many people love it because of that but, however it is regarded, I think it would be very, very rare for anyone to consider it a serious event or think that it provides an informative glimpse of what music from the various countries is really like.

Some of these songs, trite as they are, would really fit well into some old-fashioned 1994 Doom wads.

Enjay said:

Despite the fact that is is a popular event in the UK, I think that it is fair to say that it is regarded as a massive cheese-fest and everyone knows that they are buying in to an evening of the most extreme kind of kitsch.

That, and it's incomprehensibly camp. The replacement of Wogan with Norton being the ultimate transcendence into pure, unpolluted campness.

/Eurovision analysis.

Enjay said:

Also, the one opportunity a year to be exposed to such music doesn't really wash with me either because, if you want to, you can seek it out when you like and not just have to put up with the pre-packaged horror that is Eurovision.

That's true, but I'm too lazy to actively look out for different kinds of music. :P I'd rather have someone shove it down my throat than go searching myself. :)

Enjay said:

Actually, as a matter of interest, I would be interested to know what the various attitudes of the different countries are to Eurovision.

In Finland, until Lordi's participation (and the following victory) it had been mostly "don't care, don't want to care, will NOT care, we're going to get 0 points anyway."* After that it's been one part "couldn't care less" and one part "oh god our song and competitor are so horrible, I'm going to die of shame!" And then there's the group which keeps a low profile and enjoys Eurovision secretly at home.

Actually, I'm surprised that Eurovision is popular in UK considering UK's participants from the recent years. :P One good thing about Eastern European countries in Eurovision is that at least they often put effort into their shows.

*Some bad people say that Finns aren't fanatical about any particular event, sport, etc, but that we're fanatical about winning, and popular interest on anything is directly related to Finns' success on the matter.

The program that wouldn't die. The only decent song in recent years to be featured was Divine with Sebastian Tellier and those philistine retards that voted put it on 19th place.

It's hardly a resource for someone searching for good music.

In my opinion it's impossible to compete in music. So eurovision is a big NO NO for me. I don't like the music they play there anyway.

Too bad that Knorkator didn't get past the qualification in 2000

Too bad? this garbage sounds like Hitler's death rattle muffled with a cock.

Enjay said:

Actually, as a matter of interest, I would be interested to know what the various attitudes of the different countries are to Eurovision.

All the people I personally know buy into the Eurovision Conspiracy Theory which is that since the winning country is the one that has to pay for the expenses of hosting and organizing the next year's contest, most make sure to select their shittiest singers and musicians on purpose. Losing means winning, since it'll be another sucker that'll be saddled with it. :]

I had never heard of eurovision until getting on either these forums or another one. I think many US people are like that, considering there is american idol, and so they don't look for anything else.

Personally I'd rather watch marching band competitions or jazz or rock and/or metal concerts than random pop-star wannabes promote meh music in any competition. Although I saw a pretty funny entry one time ...

DoomUK said:

The replacement of Wogan with Norton being the ultimate transcendence into pure, unpolluted campness.

/Eurovision analysis.

No, that would be Graham Norton co-hosting with Dale Winton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40RrqIKsMI#t=1m25s

Gez said:

All the people I personally know buy into the Eurovision Conspiracy Theory which is that since the winning country is the one that has to pay for the expenses of hosting and organizing the next year's contest, most make sure to select their shittiest singers and musicians on purpose. Losing means winning, since it'll be another sucker that'll be saddled with it. :]

Sweden certainly doesn't do this though. We've always had the people vote for the submissions and in the last 10 years the whole thing has been expanded to include all sorts of part competitions and finals etc.

Didn't even realize it was that time of the year before I saw this thread.

Don't watch, don't care. Last year had one good entry from Estonia and that was it.

EDIT: Knorkator would've been fucking awesome.

If it was actually a world music song contest as opposed to a talent-free pop song contest it might be worth more than just a few hours of taking the piss each year. (and even I don't bother with that anymore)

Jodwin said:

Actually, I'm surprised that Eurovision is popular in UK considering UK's participants from the recent years. :P One good thing about Eastern European countries in Eurovision is that at least they often put effort into their shows.

That's because we started putting talent-free boy/girl groups/singers in almost every year since we last won it :p

And ofc the fact that our leader's dedication to supporting the oil campaign in the Middle East cost us all chances of ever getting near the top again from 2003 onwards.

Danarchy said:

The best thing about Dschingus Khan is that they look like a group of villains from 70s sci-fi/fantasy movies.

Yeah, they're awesome.

Gez said:

Exhibit A: Ireland. Having won it something like five years on the trot, the quality started to drop to the point of failing to qualify one year. For the last ten years, every time Ireland lost, Radio Telefis Eireann said "thank fuck" :P

Wish the 2nd place winner would have been voted 1st in sweden
alas the votes went to Anna and whatever the name of her song was. which diden't even make it to Eurovision

I liked Salems contribution (which was the one to come in 2nd place in sweden)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdAjcMi7GWg

I thought that some of the entries that got low points were actually some of the better songs. I didn't like the German effort much, I think she got points because she was a babe. At one point during the voting I noticed 4 of the countries in the top 5 at that point were Germany and its neighbours. And of course you get the Russian bloc and 3rd world coalitions exchanging top marks.

A big issue is tactical voting. Yeah the UK's song was bland but it was far from the worst effort. To say it came last tells you something about tactical voting. I know the UK is not massively popular in the EU (except for its easily available benefits and free health service of course) but come on, voting us last in the Eurovision is going too far ;)