Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

What makes you nervous?

See thread title. What makes you fine folks get sweaty and nervous? For me, it's a lot of things, but then I'm a nervous type guy by nature.
I'm not scared to DEATH of stinging insects, but I'll definitely get the hell out of the way of the damn things if I see any.
Driving - it doesn't petrify me, but it does make me really nervous, especially if you have a fucking Toyota full of drunk redneck inbred 18 year olds right in front of you. True story, don't ask :P I also hate driving on four lanes where there's traffic everywhere. I prefer space when I drive.
I'm not anti-social, but I do get pretty nervous when I'm in a crowd. It could be a small crowd of just six people. If they don't know who I am, I get nervous. A lot of people like to talk really loud and get attention when they're in a crowd, I'm the opposite. Leave me alone so I can get away quietly.
On a related note, I hate speaking in front of people. For this reason I hated the fourth grade, where the teacher made us do a book report like every fuckin' week.
Meeting new people, that makes me nervous. Even though I know the person I'll be meeting is perfectly normal and not prone to sudden violent outbursts (hopefully), I still get nervous.

Being called a troll for no apparent reason makes me nervous that I've slipped into an alternate dimension where everyone else makes weird leaps of logic.

I overcame clinical anxiety a year or so ago. Believe me, if you've never heard of this condition, think yourself lucky. During that time being alive made me nervous. It was like being in a permanent state of fear with no way to calm it down or make it switch off.

I get nervous when people stand behind my computer chair and stare at my monitor. Not like I'm doing anything I would want to hide on my computer, it just, for some odd reason, makes me anxious.

Mr. Freeze said:

BEES MY GOD

Hornets and wasps are worse. Most bee species are non-aggressive and can't even sting. Wasps will sting you just because you're there.

MajorRawne said:

I overcame clinical anxiety a year or so ago. Believe me, if you've never heard of this condition, think yourself lucky. During that time being alive made me nervous. It was like being in a permanent state of fear with no way to calm it down or make it switch off.

This. I was in the hospital twice for it. It feels like the world is going to end 24/7.

baronofheck82 said:

I'm not anti-social, but I do get pretty nervous when I'm in a crowd. It could be a small crowd of just six people. If they don't know who I am, I get nervous. A lot of people like to talk really loud and get attention when they're in a crowd, I'm the opposite. Leave me alone so I can get away quietly.

I'm the same way, though luckily I've started to overcome this recently. A lot of it is just awkwardness, real or imagined, on my part. Like being worried that I don't know when it's OK to speak about the same topic or move on, when to reply to something or stay quiet, or if I'm speaking too much or little about something. The longer I've known someone, or the smaller the group, the easier it is.

For some reason, fishing makes me nervous, which is strange since I absolutely love it. Actually, once I'm on the lake I'm fine. It's when I wake up early that I get nervous, thinking about things that could happen. It isn't as bad when I go with someone though, and it would probably be a wise move if I did that rather than head out alone since it's not like I'm going to lakes in a city or something.

travelling to new places alone. (like taking buses, planes etc). never liked it. not nearly as bad as it was several years ago though. its barely even there anymore. I figured I needed more of a "fuck it" attitude, and it helped.

Scet said:

Hornet and wasps are worse. Most bee species are non-aggressive and can't even sting. Wasps will sting you just because you're there.

For my 15th birthday, one of my friends thought it would be funny to lock me in a room filled with a hornet's nest. I almost had to go to the hospital due to hyperventilation.

My Apiphobia is severe, which sucks at this time of year :(.

Bugs, or at least some of them. Ants and other random bugs are fine, but put me in a room with a few harmless cockroaches and somehow I get anxious. Doesn't matter if I can't see them, just knowing they're there.... *shudders*

Thinking about certain types of surgeries gets me anxious as well. It's strange, since I don't know why it does, and it's always something different. i.e. One of my friends recently had surgery in her mouth to remove a patch of clotted blood from under her tongue. The thing was harmless and just had to be surgically cut out, yet thinking about it makes me feel really nervous for some reason :/

Spiders trigger my kill-switch. Even if they're tiny and probably perfectly harmless, I can't stand to be near one. Seriously, they look creepy, move incredibly fast, some are poisonous... I just don't want to deal with that shit. Freaks me out.

Worms scare the shit out of me. It doesn't matter that they're harmless; there are many parasitic or dangerous species of wormlike creatures anyway. But the idea of a thread actually being alive, moving around, poking things, and possibly entering where it shouldn't go scares me.

Spiders? Nah. The idea that spiders are regularly walking my bed isn't scaring me. They're cute and civilized enough not to interfere with my life. But worms are the last thing I wanna see.

Watching really elderly people try to accomplish tasks that could be easily handled by a young person, such as lifting heavy objects, trying to run, etc.

Scet said:
Hornets and wasps are worse. Most bee species are non-aggressive and can't even sting. Wasps will sting you just because you're there.

Yeah, I'm a bit wary of bees but wasps really do manage to make me nervous. (There aren't many hornets here, fortunately.) It doesn't help that for some time I lived in a house that would regularly get many of them around it, or sometimes in it. Heh, maybe my fear was excessive, because they didn't sting me too many times in those years... but perhaps my concern did serve the purpose of making that not happen much. Their sting hurts more than a bee's too, but probably not as much as any fears may imply. It's just that they are small, hard and potentially quick, so it's not easy to control what they are up to.

dew said:

babies

Yeah, this and pregnancy. I don't know what it is about this. Kids, on the other hand, I really dig.

I should have said this earlier but I too cannot stand stinging insects. Let us say that I have had a few bad encounters with the stinging sort of insects.
Also, yellowjacket stings hurt like hell. Of course, I hear that blackjackets hurt that much worse.

Speaking of insects I think I'm pretty sure I have bedbugs so that's been making me nervous.

Nothing in the physical world really gets me nervous. (Though I do hate plastic bags in the sink and chewing gum under tables and chairs)
What gets to me is what people think but don't say.

Outside views on Doom. See: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/doomii/review.html

I guess nervous isn't the word. More like frustrated.

When I come home from a bad day at work, I don't get over it. I stew over it and become really anxious about going back next time. Even if I have a couple days off, they'll be generally ruined because I'm dwelling on my workplace drama. What makes me nervous? Women in the workplace. Drama. Blah.

Finding bulldog ants in the house - I usually spend the next couple of days barrier-spraying and trying to locate the nest.

Krispavera said:
Women in the workplace. Drama. Blah.

Or on the Internet, since that review of DOOM you posted is by a woman ;)

GreyGhost said:
Finding bulldog ants in the house

Those sound like they are "terrestrial wasps." Interestingly, they can be gamergates... which has nothing to do with DOOM nor Microsoft.

myk said:

Those sound like they are "terrestrial wasps." Interestingly, they can be gamergates...

They're an old species that probably have more in common with whatever shared ancestor ants and wasps have than with modern ants. They're aggressive, fast, have surprising good eyesight and are often encountered foraging at night - not something you'd want to find in bed. Didn't know about gamergates though I did know they produce their own disinfectant.

You RAID MAX computer bugs? That sounds like a recipe for suffering. :p

Bugs don't bother me at all. I like them. I will even eat them in some cases. I like to play with them and confuse their little robot minds. I had a stinging-insect phobia when I was a kid. That stemmed from me sitting on a hornets' nest when I was five and getting seven stings from the things crawling all over me. Getting stung a few more times when I was older cured it. The pain is less when you're older.

Crowds bother me. I don't like large social gatherings at all. If your birthday part is in a big club you can forget me showing up. I'd rather be sick.

Formal environments bother me too. Society can take its cultural rules and stuff them. The idea that people can be rejected from contributing to something because they don't follow a bunch of arcane rules is barbaric and frustrating.

Krispavera said:

Outside views on Doom. See: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/doomii/review.html

I guess nervous isn't the word. More like frustrated.

Honestly though, I don't really care to play doom 2 again and again. Sure, I'll revisit it once in a while. But I prefer user made wads, which is one of the strengths of this community. I wouldn't get that even if I had an Xbox because it doesn't have these user made levels available. Also it is sucky that they didn't include some good deathmatch levels.

But, the reviewer still said some silly things. Like complaining about the controls and being able to run fast. Uh? It feels "stiff" because you can run 90mph and shoot like a maniac and still hit stuff, instead of having to crouch to improve your accuracy and look down the barrel of your gun? Please.