Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SevenYearItch

Continuous..

Hi all. I was wondering if somebody can please tell me how to make continuous levels. I'm about 3/4 of the way done through my second map ever, and I just realized even though I set it to MAP02, I don't know how to make a player start with what they finished while going through my previous map.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If both maps are in the same wad (or loaded at the same time, but each map is named differently), your inventory should carry over (unless you're using some source port that changes this behavior). Note that keys and any active powerups will not carry over to the next map.

If you're talking about seamless transitions, generally the best you can do is make the start of the next map look like the end of the previous map. As far as vanilla Doom is concerned, there is no way to determine what happened in a previous level, so you can't make a switch in one map open a door in another map, or anything like that. You might be able to do some trickery with secrets levels, but that's probably pretty limited in what you can do.

If they are in the same WAD it will work...use the "save map into" function to combine the wads

Thank you very much guys, saving map into is what solved this issue for me, inventory now carries over, however the map names stay the same. Is there any way to go about changing that? Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying my best not to annoy anybody here -_-

Add new patch graphics to your PWAD (with the maps), that replace the intermission text graphics. Do a search, it's a pretty common topic. As for the automap text, that can only be done with Boom-Extended DeHackEd (bex). You can do a search for that too.