Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

BP admits they can't stop Gulf oil spill until August (earliest).

ArmouredBlood said:

So really, like some comments on that article said, a small nuke in the right place could cause enough pressure to seal the oil well and not have a large environmental impact, considering the depths of the ocean, at least in theory. Would definitely need to study the Russian's 4 successful and 1 failed attempt to seal up oil wells.

Probably a sub-surface detonation, far enough underground so little if any radiation finds it's way into the waters of the Gulf but not deep enough to risk contaminating the oilfield or - worse still - creating a massive sinkhole.

Enjay said:

So you did. I missed that. And the fact that I also missed it in real life illustrates the other thing I was saying: Doesn't affect us directly? Not worth mentioning. :/

Another, Chevron-Texaco this time.

bytor said:
Do you have any grasp of how big BP is and how many people are under their employ? It's mind-boggling! And with today's struggling economies you want to see a corporation this size fail!? Incredible!

The economic crisis, which is arguably a side-effect of having multinational scale business, is no excuse here. On the contrary. You implied that people being laid off or getting less rich (which is basically the "tl:dr" of your rant) is irrelevant by noting that other refineries would take their place, hiring any competent ex-BP employees, or buying parts of it. The reason to boycott or punish them is simply to discourage blunders or irresponsibility like this spill. No reaction, no effect, and any pressure can still be applied to other companies when necessary. The same should be done to any company that does something retarded. The masses and the market aren't going to do much without being observant, and that is where criticism, activism and legal action come in.

OK, enough is enough. Today's initial price drop was just silly, so I bought a bunch of BP shares at a 13-year low.

E.J. said:

This is the worst man-made ecological disaster ever.

Not remotely true even if you restrict it just to oil spills. Check the volume of oil released into the environment by that nice Saddam guy's forces at the end of the first Gulf War.

And in terms of environmental impact, I dare say burning all that oil as planned and releasing the products of combustion into the atmosphere would have a greater detrimental impact looking beyond the immediate short term.

myk said:

The masses and the market aren't going to do much without being observant, and that is where criticism, activism and legal action come in.

The masses have a very very short memory.

Grazza said:
The masses have a very very short memory.

That may be, as most people are mainly self-interested in their day to day affairs and have little scope of larger events, but that lack of memory is one of the things which makes different forms of activism useful or even necessary as a form of reminder that may lead to codified action. If humankind is an old man that forgets his bearings, he will need some way to remind himself, or someone to remind him, what happened recently or whether he took care of this or that.

Csonicgo said:

The U.S Chamber of Commerce is now saying that it expects/wants Taxpayers to pay for Oil Cleanup. Are you surprised?

GOP says they won't support the raise on the liability gap on oil companies from $69-75 million to $10 billion. Coincidence?

I was pretty pissed to hear about this, not that if affects me (since I am Canadian), but it pisses me off how easily they are getting off the hook, and how taxpayers need to suffer for the oil companies mistakes.

(AFP) – 4 days ago

WASHINGTON — Hollywood star Kevin Costner urged Congress Wednesday to weigh a technology he invested more than 20 million dollars in that could be used to separate oil from water in the disastrous Gulf of Mexico spill.

"I know there must be question why I am here, I want to assure every one in the room that it's not because I heard a voice in the cornfield," Costner joked, referring to his role in the film "The Field of Dreams," in which he played a farmer who heard voices telling him to build a ballpark in his corn field.

Costner, star of the post-apocalyptic classic "Waterworld," said he was deeply affected by the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill and that convinced him to use personal resources to develop technologies to help people and the environment.

"Today that technology (CINC) is the most effective and efficient tool for cleaning up oil spills that you have probably never heard of," he explained.

"I envisioned the machine as a safety device, compact and portable enough that it could be deployed on a small craft and rugged enough to operate reliably in rough seas."

Costner said oil giant BP, struggling with the worst ever US oil spill, was interested in the technology.

"Our machine is the right machine for the moment," said Costner. After successful tests, "BP is now moving to place initial orders (of) these machines and they acknowledged they do the job."

LOL. All that was missing was Barack Obama popping in every few minutes to tell them off for being naughty boys and girls (preferably with an audience) but not actually doing anything constructive (unless that's who the guy at the window was supposed to represent).

Yeah I laughed but it's a nervous laugh.
Man has created a hole in the bottom of the ocean that he can't plug and 2012 is just around the corner!? Hmmm...
Gotta drag my wife over here to watch this. ;)

Enjay said:

LOL. All that was missing was Barack Obama popping in every few minutes to tell them off for being naughty boys and girls (preferably with an audience) but not actually doing anything constructive (unless that's who the guy at the window was supposed to represent).

Obama should have been the guy who had the Louisiana map. Rather than looking like he cared his map was about to get soaked; the guy should have ignored it for a few a minutes, and then when his map was completely soaked he should have starting yelling at the guy who spilled the coffee saying, "I'll make you pay for this! I'm so mad! Tell me who's ass to kick!".

Didn't the Doomsday clock turn back a minute for our "advanced knowledge and technology in energy conservation" or something like that? So what, we're going to 3 minutes before midnight or something soon, huh...

EDIT: "Worldwide cooperation to reduce nuclear arsenals and limit effect of climate change."

LOL time to update that eh.