Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fruitybubbles17

PSone Doom... anyone remember it?

A few years back, I bought a copy of Doom for the PSone at a garage sale, and it had a few cool touches. First of all, all of the music was replaced with creepy, horror movie-esque music , and the Ultimate Doom levels had mobs from Doom II added to them... sadly, I have searched my house for this, and am unable to find it... if anyone has a copy and/or has played this, please I would like to know.

Yeah many people here have played PSX Doom. I personally have a copy but do not own a PSX. Thankfully PS2/3 plays it well. PSX Doom is typically regarded as one of the best Doom ports.

There's a PSX TC for ZDoom. Having never played the original, I don't know how faithful it is, but it might be something to look at (it has the animated burning sky and the creepy ambiant music, for starters).

Use3D said:

Yeah many people here have played PSX Doom. I personally have a copy but do not own a PSX. Thankfully PS2/3 plays it well. PSX Doom is typically regarded as one of the best Doom ports.

Multiplayer never worked on mine, though... 'twas pretty lame.

Phml said:

There's a PSX TC for ZDoom. Having never played the original, I don't know how faithful it is, but it might be something to look at (it has the animated burning sky and the creepy ambiant music, for starters).

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that.

Yep still have mine. With the annoying large CD case with crappy artwork they made for the cover. And I also have the psx port of FINAL DOOM. Both in superb condition.

I never played it on the playstation, but I loved it a while ago when I found the TCs for ZDoom.

I admit that I still prefer the PSX maps-only TC by Chris Neilson. It works with ZDoom gameplay mods and doesn't include sounds. I put it in wadhost for Skulltag server hosting, since the links for it are dead: http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/Psxmaps.zip

I'm currently in the process of moving house, and while I was packing my Wii games, I randomly found the disc for my copy of PSX Doom sandwiched between Twilight Princess and Wii Sports. I have no idea how it got there, but thankfully, it wasn't damaged that badly. Still gonna have the disc cleaned anyways, just to be safe though.

Heh. PSX Doom was my entryway to Doom as a whole, dating back to 1995, not longer after it came out.

My copy's in pretty good condition and still works. :)

I'm doing a playthrough for it right now. :)

I've got both PSX Doom (Longbox) and PSX Final Doom, both in excellent condition. I treasure them. :)

I played Doom for the PSX, it was pretty awesome and far far scarier than the PC version thanks to the awesome music and SFX. And lighting. But how come the Doom 1 levels were cut down and the Doom 2 levels weren't? Always confused me.

Also, if put in a CD player, track 6 is a very pleasurable experience (and possibly the reason why I listen to gabber and things nowadays).

Nixot said:

But how come the Doom 1 levels were cut down and the Doom 2 levels weren't? Always confused me.

The Doom 1 levels were pretty much copied and pasted from the Jaguar port of the game, which featured shorter levels, certain levels cut out, no crushing ceilings, and Doom 2 textures. It was probably easier for the PSX Doom team to convert the Jaguar levels to the PSX and took up less space. It did retain the original Tower Of Babel before the Thy Flesh Consumed levels, which is pretty awesome.

Some of the bigger (and taller) levels from Doom II were omitted completely because the system just couldn't handle them - an issue more evident in the PSX version of Final Doom.

What set it apart from the PC version most was the awesome ambient soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges and that now infamous burning sky in the Hell levels, not to mention the coloured sector lighting which, sadly, a lot of the PC veterans still just can't warm to.

I still have both games for the PSX - the jewel cases have taken a bit of a battering but the discs are still fully functional and the manuals are still there too.

And now for the shameless plug - you might want to check this thread out if you haven't already. The project is nearly finished, although development has temporarily halted due to some pretty substantial Real Life shit, but I hope to get it finished in the next couple of months.

Hey! Fun fact: The PSX version of X com recycles a piece of music the from PSX Doom; specially the music used on the map "hell beneath" or the 'knocky wooden boards song' as I mentally called it. The PSX X Com music pack is available here (along with an upgrade for the steam version of x com that makes it run better on modern PCs). look for the file "Xcom Soundtrack Battlescape.mp3" and skip to about 26:00 to hear it.

Another pointless doom fact to add to the pile.

Captain Red said:

Hey! Fun fact: The PSX version of X com recycles a piece of music the from PSX Doom; specially the music used on the map "hell beneath" or the 'knocky wooden boards song' as I mentally called it. The PSX X Com music pack is available here (along with an upgrade for the steam version of x com that makes it run better on modern PCs). look for the file "Xcom Soundtrack Battlescape.mp3" and skip to about 26:00 to hear it.

Another pointless doom fact to add to the pile.

That's really interesting, as I love both of those games.

I grew up with PSX Doom, and I'll probably always treasure my little PSX Doom CD. :3

I have 3 copies of the PSX version of Doom. The first one came with my PS1 when it first came out. The other two I've found in bargain bins for £5 or less. I was introduced to Doom through this version, and I still think it's the best one. Everything about it just felt spot on, and the atmosphere thanks to the coloured sectors and music was just <3