Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Doom 3: Phobos devblog #11

Ridiculously awesome screens. These are way beyond anything I've ever seen in Doom 3.

Oh god I hope this will still run on my shitty computer. Brilliant screens as usual.

esselfortium said:

This looks unbelievable. I'm not really sure what else to say.

Well, that's Doom 3 for ya :P

I hope those maze-like structures in a couple of screenshots there aren't fake mazes, and that they really use gameplay to their advantage.

I was starting to fear this was dead. So glad it's not as some of those shots have some of the best architecture I've seen in a doom 3 style wad!

Great to see an update on this. I wasn't sure if it was still in production or not since there haven't been any updates in a while. The shots look amazing by the way :)

I still need to get Doom 3 just so I can play this when it comes out :P

That shotgun is really growing on me, but the Doomguy's arm doesn't look right.

(I would comment on the screenshots themselves but there are only so many variations of "That's awesome/incredible/amazing" and I think most have been said already.)

So, if I may ask, how many levels have been completed? There will be about as many levels as in non-Ultimate Doom 1, amirite? If this is only the fifth level, the development will take AWHILE.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

david_a said:

Is this going to require RoE? I can't really tell from the website.

Yeah, it will. For some reason we've always assumed that everyone who owns a copy of Doom 3 also owns a copy of the expansion pack :p

printz said:

So, if I may ask, how many levels have been completed? There will be about as many levels as in non-Ultimate Doom 1, amirite? If this is only the fifth level, the development will take AWHILE.

We've had to narrow our scope somewhat during the development of this thing. Sadly, it's just not realistic to expect a small number of hobbyists to produce a 24-level high quality professional-looking Doom 3 mod.

The planned (and partially worked on) Episodes 2 and 3 have been put on standby while we concentrate our efforts on Episode 1. As everything currently stands, expect to see an 8-level mod.

Deeforce said:

The last thing I heared about http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/future/]Phobos[/url] was in the year 2006,LOL! This will never get done! Other great looking mods that were aborted: Dawn Of Reality and Downfall.

Actually since we've narrowed down the scope of the mod to just the first episode (for now anyway), we're not that far away from completion. We've learned a lot from our mistakes in the past and it's really going forward now in a tempo and with a quality I'm not sure many mods can compete with.

Shaviro said:

Actually since we've narrowed down the scope of the mod to just the first episode (for now anyway), we're not that far away from completion. We've learned a lot from our mistakes in the past and it's really going forward now in a tempo and with a quality I'm not sure many mods can compete with.

I don't think there is a mod team that does not over extends them selfs. You come up with a lot of good idea and want to throw every one of them into your mod. Before you know it you have way to much going on at ones and the team is spread to thin. Thats what kills most mods. Most mod teams can't refocus and they end up falling apart.

I'm happy to hear you guys have worked past this. People are going to say a 8 level mod is a bit to small. But, quality over quantity. I'd much rather play a mod with 8 solid levels then a mod with 24 levels thats full of filler. You can always go back and finish the other maps after the first 8 are out and any bugs are worked out. I'm pretty sure that if the mod is well received, you guys will be eager to get back to work and before you know it you be releasing another 8 levels or more.

Top notch work so far. I can't wait to play this mod.

I agree with Satyr000. These are looking to be an absolutely stunning 8 levels, and there's going to be a whole lot to take in once we get to play them.

I'd definitely still be interested in a followup of some sort if the team can retain interest and focus after this is completed, considering the unbelievably high standards of quality they've set, but one amazing episode released is still one amazing episode that we otherwise would have never gotten to see.

I feel like doom 3's campaign in it's entirety was filler. I had no idea it's modding capabilities were so flexible though. These maps look fabulous.

I felt RoE was a solid mod and it didn't even have a dozen levels to it. So I'm sure this episode (in the classic sense, even) will be about perfect.

If they can turn out more afterward, that'll be great too, but why worry about it? ;)

40oz said:

I feel like doom 3's campaign in it's entirety was filler. I had no idea it's modding capabilities were so flexible though. These maps look fabulous.

That's the problem with Doom 3; it comes with an unattractive default map set, keeping some classic Doomers away and possibly discouraging them, but it really can be modded just like everything else. Some of the shots in particular look very Doom 3 to me, in the textures and furniture way.

The funny thing is: in comparison to other newer games, Doom 3 is still a very good game... If it would stand alone, then I think it would "only" be good and not very good, because of the monotonous level design, BUT at least there is much blood, good enemies and good weapons in it :-P! I still play it, but I like Half Life 2 more.

Deeforce said:

The funny thing is: in comparison to other newer games, Doom 3 is still a very good game...

I agree. It only has the "autosave" handicap from the ones mentioned in 40oz's thread.

I have a soft spot for Doom 3. I enjoyed the SP campaign and especially the expansion. Any chance this could be Doom 3 LMS compatible as well for co-op? :-)

If not, cool, I will still play it.

BilboHicks said:

co-op?

We'd love Phobos to be co-opified. But I don't think it will ever happen.

DoomUK said:

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Yeah, it will. For some reason we've always assumed that everyone who owns a copy of Doom 3 also owns a copy of the expansion pack :p

\

RoE was never available in my area. I suppose now I will have to order it from somewhere.