Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yugiboy85

[Zdoom]E1M8 revisited by the_trigger

Hello to all, this is a wad that I have been working for about one year(I just finished it today) and well I wanted to have your advices on it and all.
This wad is, as the title sugests, a remake from the mission 8 of episode 1 from DOOM 1.
I used zdoom features alot for this wad and I think the result is quite nice ;)
New stuff included:
-Monsters from realm667
-Textures from zpack and a few from nick baker.
-Zdoom features as I said before(mostly slopes, sliding doors, elevators, scripts, ...)
This wad is also my first official release, the other wads that I have done were never released because they weren't realy good but this one is a nice one, I've spent time and efforts in to it and I hope you will enjoy it ;)
Enough said, here is the link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I6ITVVR3
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/R83PFV5jpt/e1m8rmke.pk3
Well, hum, that is about all, now it is up to you to enjoy playing the level and I will be open to any criticism as long as it is well structured and that is is not only a "wow this wad sux", "worst wad ever", etc...at least, if you say something like that, please give the reasons for it ;)

While most of E1M8's battles were present in one way or another, I didn't really feel like I was playing a remake of E1M8 at all. It's closer in feel to the likes of Vader's Thunder Peak.

Taken by it'self, it's a pretty good map, though a few nitpicks:

The oposition was very low outside of the teleporter trap at the red key switch and bad guy positioning was sometimes repetitive (i.e the ammount of doors with a single bad guy hiding right behind).

The Barron battle it'self was also a little ott (padded with unesscerry waves).

It was nice looking, but the areas sometimes felt a little disjointed.

There was a fair bit of backtracking after every key.

Ok, thank you for the reply ^^
When I look at it closer, Maybe you are a bit right but realy what I meant by e1m8 remake was that you could see a few rooms from the original level(the dome, the star room, etc...).

I agree with Vermil about the map not feeling like a E1M8 remake, but rather a map on it's own, clearly similar (influenced by, perhaps?) to Thunderpeak. Which is a good thing.
I enjoyed it, but i felt that battles were a bit scarce. I'm not sugesting that you should make a map with 500+ monsters, but maybe a few more baddies here and there could be an improvement. As for the final battle, i'd lower a little the HP of the barons, I found myself shooting rocket after rocket and thinking "when the hell does those guys die?", and since their attacks are easily dodged, i was pretty much playing in auto-mode after a while.

Anyway, very good map.

Thanks.
When you say lower the HP on the barons, you mean the "hellstorms archon" right?

The_Trigger said:

Thanks.
When you say lower the HP on the barons, you mean the "hellstorms archon" right?

Yea, although seeing at the decorate lump, i see that they have the same amount of HP than Cyberbruisers. Odd, i felt them much tougher.

The difference is though, that the Archon's have the same immunity to splash damage that the Cyber Demon and Spider Demon do. The Cyberbruiser doesn't have this immunity.

Given that the player largely only has access to bullets and rocket's in that fight, I might remove that flag from the Archon's.

This was good fun, I thought. I experienced a bug on the first lift that clipped me into the walls. If I went up, I popped up on the top floor, and when I went down, I'd clip into the wall, but be back on the lift once it reached the bottom.

The final battle was pretty cool, how more and more things kept coming. The ammo balance was done very well, but I was a bit squeezed in the last battle. I think i wound up with 0 rockets, 2 shells and 4 bullets. Exposing the archons to splash could work, though. There were also moments where I felt squeezed on health (I didn't find either of the secrets, though).

Good work overall.

I had fun playing this. I especially liked the room full of barrels, and the Soulsphere secret at the bottom of the steps after entering the Blue door. Reminded me of the old level while keeping a new feel. Also in that room, I like the way you slip down those stairs if you run in. In the very end the open field is very large which makes dodging the few enemies present too easy. The switches that create ammo are okay, but the one spawning rockets makes the one that spawns bullets rather obsolete. All in all a great map!

you can break the first lift pretty easy by hitting the switch but not going down with it. then if you jump down later you're stuck.

i thought the very first room looked far too much like a rip of thunderpeak, myself. and all the hitscanners left me with 5% health to start, which didn't put me in a good mood right off the bat. i'd have that first room empty, personally.

having just the shotty for the better part of the map was a bit of a pain too, especially once all the barons start showing up. i just ran away from most of them. i'd give the player a few more toys to play with sooner.

still, it's worth a play. chip away a bit more and you'll have yourself a real solid map on your hands.

NT

I wasn't really a fan. The first room is an obvious rip of Thunderpeak. From then it's the couple of E1M8 battles connected by a bunch of relatively featureless hallways with lone enemies, plus major encounters where you circlestrafe in large empty areas. The only part where I was even remotely in danger was the outdoor Imps, even then it was just herding while avoiding trees. Fighting Barons with the single shotgun for most of the map was also quite tedious.