Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
22Alpha22

Disable Saves [Zdoom]

In Zdoom, is there a way to disable saves, so the games only saves at specific auto-save points?

aw man people are going to save their game in your wad that must suck.

I recently saw save PDA at realm667 and thought it would be cool if people had to collect them in order to save.

How about making ZDoom restart the level from pistol start and not last entry situation?

printz said:

How about making ZDoom restart the level from pistol start and not last entry situation?

Disable autosaves so that it doesn't save when you enter a level. (Or delete that autosave.) Then don't make a save in the level. Tada, you got your pistol restart.

Alternatively, console or idclev back to the current level. Tada, you got your pistol restart.

Never_Again said:

These workarounds sound as simple as "tada", but taste more like "uuuuugggghhh". Wouldn't something like "cl_pistolstart" be simpler?

It's been requested several times but denied because those solutions exist, to the best of my recollection.

Never_Again said:

These workarounds sound as simple as "tada", but taste more like "uuuuugggghhh". Wouldn't something like "cl_pistolstart" be simpler?

Okay, okay. Because I'm a nice person, I'm going to give you a cl_pistolstart.

Type this in the ZDoom console:

alias cl_pistolstart disableautosave
Now you can type cl_pistolstart 1 to force pistol starting, except on levels which require autosaves in some places. And with cl_pistolstart 2, you can force pistol starting even on these levels!

You've got to remember one thing, though: ZDoom supports hubs. Several ZDoom mods (including high-profile ones such as ED4-RFO, RTC-3057, Temple of the Ancients, TUTNT...) have used hubs. Automatically pistol-starting a level will completely fuck hubs up; they are the reason for the automatic save when entering a level.

Ah. Just edit the mapinfo and add resetinventory to each map. Though at the moment it doesn't reset health.

But what if player is playing a very long map and saves game to leave?
An alias that deletes a save game after if has loaded maybe?

This seems like a lot of effort to reenable vanilla behavior.

Catoptromancy said:

But what if player is playing a very long map and saves game to leave?

He can delete his save himself. Open the load or save menu, select the save, and hit the delete key.

Catoptromancy said:

This seems like a lot of effort to reenable vanilla behavior.

Especially on the developers' side.

What I wanted was the game to save specific auto save points, but not the player to be able to save whenever they want. I don't want pistol starts.

22Alpha22 said:

What I wanted was the game to save specific auto save points, but not the player to be able to save whenever they want.

Forget it. ZDoom's design philosophy keeps the player in control of the game at all time; taking away the possibility to use the menu or console is not going to be ever supported.