Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Ivan "Ironaman" Stewart's Super Off Road Tack Pak

I need help getting the track pak to play. Seems they are only available as ROMs. I tried to download an emulator. But everything I download hasn't an executable. How can I do anything without one? ? ?

Any help appreciated.

I'm not looking for the original game. I already have it as non rom (it's a dos game with the 8 original tracks. I'm looking to play the track pak that has 8 new tracks.)

I have a lot of nostalgia for this game because I have played it sooo many times, and have always wanted to play the track pak but never knew how.

I'm pretty sure current MAME builds emulate it.

Speaking of which, heh, I had tons of fun with the DOS version, even managing to set up a 3-player game with 1 keyboard and 1 gamepad :-p

Mame does emulate it. But it is not clear how mame works. I just downloaded it and it is totally confusious.

I downloaded the rom files for the track pak. But there is a great chasm in my mind as to how those rom files get loaded into the game.

"Trak pak" ? You're probably speaking about a ROM hack, or a set of alternate/bootleg ROMs (for which, in typical MAME style, you still need to have the "original" or some other version of the ROMs to piggyback on).

There's also a chance that they're not usable with MAME (the very least you'll get an audit fail/checksum error). Anyway, you can't speak openly here about this stuff before someone trumps the warez card, so either PM me with links or go to a more appropriate forum.

If you're on Windows, get MAME32. It gives you a GUI frontend to MAME.

You might need the original game ROM (offroad.zip) as well as the expansion (offroadt.zip). Put these in the "roms" directory off your MAME install.

The track pack is an official expansion, not a ROM hack.

Here's a guide I found by typing "mame32 guide" into Google:
http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Guides.Detail&id=14

Sweet! I got the game loaded. Thanks Jamie! You sure are super!

I can't figure out how to accelerate tho. I found nitro, turn left and turn right, but no accelerate! There is a menu that you can bring up by pressing tab but I can't figure out the key bindings (if the menu even has them--but there was a menu that looked like key bindings--but can't figure out how to use it).

I can't believe after all these years I'm only now playing the track-pak... C=R=A=Z=Y

Hit Tab to get into the key bindings menu, open Player 1 keys, scroll down to the button you want to change and hit enter, the key indicator should flash or something to indicate it's waiting for a keypress, the next key you hit will become the key for that button.

Keep in mind MAME is emulating actual arcade hardware. There isn't really "accelerate", just buttons and joysticks and variable things like wheels and pedals.

I Googled the game title and "mame keys" and found these.

You can see the actual arcade cabinet had an actual pedal to accelerate:
http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade/Cabinet/big/Ironman_Ivan_Stewart%27s_Super_Off-Road_-_1989_-_Leland_Corp..jpg

The controls in mame are a Dial and a Pedal. I am guessing this is steering and acceleration, respectively:
http://maws.mameworld.info/minimaws/set/offroad
http://maws.mameworld.info/minimaws/set/offroadt

This page says Player 1 Pedal is mapped to Left Control by default
http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/FAQ:Games

If you want an actual analog pedal, you'll need to use a controller with an analog stick or pedal, such as a driving wheel or PS2-style dual analog. MAMEUI should be able to handle anything you can plug into Windows and have recognised. You can configure controller axes to game axes via the MAMEUI GUI.

I don't have a gamepad or joystick or any other controller. I only use the keyboard. CTRL is nitro. The left and right arrow keys steer the truck. I don't know what key accelerates (pedal) but the ones I tried don't allow me to map a key to them (nothing happens when I attempt to map a key to any of the analog bindings). 'p1 pedal 1 analog' doesn't allow me to bind a key to it. There is nothing set as the default.

I somehow managed to bind a key to accelerate and played through the track pak. The physics in the rom version are more pronounced--instead of just the opponents being affected by hills and water, you are too, which is pretty cool. The nitro seems more powerful than the pc version which makes for pretty goofy and difficult to control gameplay. The tracks were pretty cool, but some of them were dumb like shortcut. Boulder hill is really hard and different than all the others (kind of how cliffhanger was different than all the others, but even more so--cliffhanger wasn't really hard tho). I never beat boulder hill. The tack sequence seems random.
Thanks for the help!