Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

A demon-filled celtic mansion

Failed FDA probably not worth watching. Trouble starts around the baron and goes to shit rapidly. Plus the middle features a lot of me trying to get monsters to fight, so that stretch is a bit boring. The death is kinda funny, though.

The good - As always, your monster placement was great... well, in the open areas. Health balance was well done, as was the ammo. The indoors were generally attractive without using 1,000,000 linedefs in the visplane, which is a + Also, the last battle was greatly staged. I'm a trap oriented person, but that room managed to surprise me regardless. Nice stuff.

The bad - First, forcing me to pick up that berserk :( I never like that sort of item placement. Also, I think those snow textures are pretty ugly, and one of them reminds me of the gray vines texture. Also, the basement is very congested, and the amount of revenants one has to fight in a hallway that thin was kind of frustrating as opposed to fun.

Overall it was a pretty fun map. I just think that the first half of the basement should either have 2 fewer revenants or a little more space. I died there quite a few times. I think most of the shortcomings are due to the aforementioned snow textures.

Heh, thanks for the fda. It's kinda hard for me to start infighting in the ground level too. I wasn't really paying attention to where I put the berserk, but after some playtesting I agree that I need to put it somewhere else, probably in one of the openings. I've kind of gotten used to the revenants, but yeah there are quite a few of them. Might replace the last 2 with hell knights. The snow textures were rather badly done, I just used em cause doom has no natural snow textures - probably just use the rock instead. Maybe give it a summer time feel, although I really liked the wintery feel. Which means I should probably change the midi, heh. Well glad you generally liked it, especially the last bit, thought it might be too much but I guess not.

Didn't take long to fix:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/ABcelticv2.zip

Nice demo, I thought you went a bit crazy to clear the ground level, but then I noticed you finished off the last hell knight in less than half the time I usually take. Up to the last room looked good, then you started sniping things, which took a lot of time. Usually I snipe the chaingunners then rush with the SSG, but that has maybe a 50/50 survival rating -.- And the cyb is pretty difficult to approach with only the skinny bridges. Would take some luck to get the strafing off the second rocket right - the only time I got close to killing him I sniped all the revenants or did an SSG merry-go-round on em, heh. Unfortunately I got down to 5 hp and then the splash from a rocket hitting a pillar in front of me was juuuust close enough to finish me off. So yeah I haven't actually beaten the map yet.

Thinking of putting a soulsphere in the last bit, with the bfg, just so the player has a bit more of a buffer from cyb rockets. Thoughts?

Here's an UV Max in 5:28.

I don't think you should add a soulsphere. In my opinion, the megasphere is already overkill.

Usually the cyb isn't so nice to shoot just 2 salvos ... think I'll add block monster lines so you can't push the cyb off like that, heh. The megasphere really isn't meant to be picked up until everything is dead anyway, just there to point out where the exit is.

The low monster count led me into a false sense of security, which made me die a series of total bullshit deaths, heheh, all of them were my fault though. It was pretty fun though, I'll play again today. One thing I noticed is that the super shot gun is very hard if the mancubis gets there before you do. But I wouldn't change that though, because it adds to the tension.

Thank you for the map, I enjoyed it! The only reason I was able to win was because I could push cybie off the little platform int he middle with the BFG.

I actually didn't like the screenies all that much, but I figured this is an AB map, so it should still be lots of fun. And indeed it was. And also, the wad looks a lot cooler to play it once you are actually in it. The screenies don't do it justice.

Nice work :) Thanks.

Kyka said:

I actually didn't like the screenies all that much, but I figured this is an AB map, so it should still be lots of fun. And indeed it was. And also, the wad looks a lot cooler to play it once you are actually in it. The screenies don't do it justice.

Nice work :) Thanks.

Heh, only the last room and the archvile room were anything different from the pics in the thread. Apparently they made the difference ;P glad you liked it.

Oh and glad you other guys liked it too ;P I'll probably just leave this alone and upload it for now, under a slightly different name, heh. Might have something done for newgothic in the next few weeks, we'll see. And it goes back to the gothic/hell theme, yay.