Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

A World in Strife 2: Absolute Order

Work is under way on my next strife project. Not too sure on what my exact plans for it are at the moment, just working on architecture and music (got about 14 minutes worth so far) for now. More details later.

AWS 1 /idgames link here.

Base Ganymede E2 is still alive, I just work on what I feel like working on. :)

Screenshots

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Yay Strife!

Certainly looks cool, I must say. ;)

I do feel the need to bring up one complaint I had in Raiding the Dam: Strife's default weapon accuracy doesn't lend itself well to heavy combat, like the kind present in the map. It led to a bit more frustration than was necessary, IMO, since some weapons (mini-missile launcher and assault gun on automatic) were so hard to hit things with that it became far too easy to run out of ammo (which was quite tight early on).

Would you consider granting the player a few accuracy upgrades (maybe around +50% or so)? Assuming the wad has the same all-out Doom-like combat style, it would greatly reduce some headaches and make the map more playable all around.

Either way, looking forward to it. You've certainly got the Strife mapping style down. ;)

Thanks all. :)

printz said:

Will again be humongous?

heh, most likely. Did that bother you on the first one?

Xaser said:

Certainly looks cool, I must say. ;)

I do feel the need to bring up one complaint I had in Raiding the Dam: Strife's default weapon accuracy doesn't lend itself well to heavy combat, like the kind present in the map. It led to a bit more frustration than was necessary, IMO, since some weapons (mini-missile launcher and assault gun on automatic) were so hard to hit things with that it became far too easy to run out of ammo (which was quite tight early on).

Would you consider granting the player a few accuracy upgrades (maybe around +50% or so)? Assuming the wad has the same all-out Doom-like combat style, it would greatly reduce some headaches and make the map more playable all around.

Either way, looking forward to it. You've certainly got the Strife mapping style down. ;)

Yes I agree. From what I can tell, all but one of the accuracy upgrades are given through dialogue. The one that isn't is a switch that raises a ceiling (iirc), improves accuracy, and gives a message saying something about completing the guard obstacle course. I don't know the dialogue system in strife, and had no ideas for incorporating the switch in the last map, so I was a little stuck there. This is something I'll be spending some time trying to work out.

I'm looking at this one having a much stronger adventure and exploration feel. Not so combat heavy though still much more balanced than the original strife, probably a hub system too. Might go some way to help with the frustrating accuracy.

Khorus said:

Yes I agree. From what I can tell, all but one of the accuracy upgrades are given through dialogue.

But they correspond to an actual item. In ZDoom, it's this one. You could use some DECORATE thing to give it to the player through a normal inventory item, for example:

Actor AccuracyBonus : CustomInventory 1337
{
	Inventory.PickupMessage "Your accuracy improved!"
	Inventory.PickupSound "misc/p_pkup"
	+COUNTITEM
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		BLAH A -1
		Stop
	Pickup:
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("UpgradeAccuracy")
		Stop
	}
}
Replace 1337 and BLAH by something appropriate. This would work with ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, and Vavoom.
For original Strife and SvStrife, it might be possible to hack something up with SeHackEd. I'm not sure.

Khorus said:

Did that bother you on the first one?

Not at all. Sorry if it seemed negative the way I asked it.

Gez said:

But they correspond to an actual item. In ZDoom, it's this one. You could use some DECORATE thing to give it to the player through a normal inventory item, for example:

Actor AccuracyBonus : CustomInventory 1337
{
	Inventory.PickupMessage "Your accuracy improved!"
	Inventory.PickupSound "misc/p_pkup"
	+COUNTITEM
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		BLAH A -1
		Stop
	Pickup:
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("UpgradeAccuracy")
		Stop
	}
}
Replace 1337 and BLAH by something appropriate. This would work with ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, and Vavoom.
For original Strife and SvStrife, it might be possible to hack something up with SeHackEd. I'm not sure.

Yes, I've been contemplating doing the DECORATE method (and thanks for the code :). I was hoping for limitless support in the event that other ports, such as a Eternity and Doomsday, finish their Strife implementation. Then again, I can always release a patch if they do.

printz said:

Not at all. Sorry if it seemed negative the way I asked it.

No, you weren't. I was genuinely curious. :)