Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. T

Boom questions

A) How do you make colored lighting? I have searched boomref etc. but can only find information for Zdoom. I also read there is a way to color sectors too with translucency? How?

B) Are 3d skyboxes possible in PrBoom+?

Mr. T said:

A) How do you make colored lighting? I have searched boomref etc. but can only find information for Zdoom.

You don't. You can tint texture with that color (but obviously monster wouldn't be tinted).

Mr. T said:

B) Are 3d skyboxes possible in PrBoom+?

In PrBoom+ version >= 2.5.0.7. Using GLDEFS lump. (But don't think that PrBoom+ supports everything described there.)

Yeah, you can create new colormaps using CMAPTOOL, place them between C_START and C_END markers in your wad, and assign them to tagged sectors with line type 242 (the same one used for deep water effects and such). If played in SMMU or Eternity, this will work like actual colored lighting, where you can see it from other sectors. In other ports it's only visible when you're in the tagged sector.

Dragonsbrethren said:

If played in SMMU ...

In theory only, actually. It was severely broken and required some heavy reworking in EE :)

Dragonsbrethren said:

If played in SMMU or Eternity, this will work like actual colored lighting, where you can see it from other sectors. In other ports it's only visible when you're in the tagged sector.

Shouldn't this require a compatibility option? It's a serious alteration of established behavior... ;)

Graf Zahl said:

Shouldn't this require a compatibility option? It's a serious alteration of established behavior... ;)

Have fun trying to change it back :P It was hard enough fixing the mess that was left ;)

Quasar said:

In theory only, actually. It was severely broken and required some heavy reworking in EE :)

Never knew that; I've never actually used SMMU, that was before my time in the Doom community.

Graf Zahl said:

Ha ha, I know you're joking here, but I'd actually say it should have one. Or rather, that it should have been done on another line type entirely, separate from transfer heights. I'm not trying more work for Quasar, though!

Makes me wonder if there are actually any wads out there that make use of custom colormaps that are broken by being able to see them before entering the sectors they're applied to. Boom's way of doing them is awfully limited, seems like they were only thinking of deep water when they implemented them. In fact, I think the only wad I've played that made use of colormaps was FreeDoom.

I have seen both.

DSV4-Eternity version uses this feature but obviously that WAD won't work with the current version anymore.

But I've also seen several Boom maps which don't set proper underwater colormaps everywhere and some sectors don't look correct.

Both are rare occurences though.