Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #368

• Heretic Treasure Chest - Heretic Treasure Chest team
    Limit Removing Heretic Support - Solo Play - 7997600 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: The Ultimate DooMer
    Quite odd how a wad like this can sit there unreviewed for 10 weeks...and as it's one I followed for some time before release, I thought it's worth coming back briefly for it.

Anyway, in case you didn't know, it's a 3-episode community map project for Heretic. Which means a bunch of random single maps, although they do use a common texture set and the maps were ordered in some way by the project leader before release.

There's a whole variety of settings here...from small caves, villages and sandy temples to sprawling citadels, volcanic mountains and creepy tombs (the secret maps all have slightly weirder themes too). Many are nicely detailed throughout, and the new textures add a lot to things without detracting from the colourful nature of Heretic's own. The map quality varies - some of them are a bit suspect, but there's plenty of good ones too.

Gameplay-wise there's nothing overly-hard, although there's more tougher encounters later on (one of which stands out as both unique and challenging), and the E3 boss is setup quite nicely. Each map is playable from scratch, so there's plenty of ammo, etc. to go around. Some of the larger maps can be a bit confusing, though.

Overall...while it does feel a bit cosmopolitan at times, it's a good solid fun map set worth waiting for, and anyone who likes Heretic will want to check it out.

• Z-Dione Attack - Impboy4
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 904630 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: magicsofa
    I'm really tired, and my laptop is getting hot, making me sweaty and uncomfortable. I also have to wake up in about five hours to give someone very special to me a ride to work. Damnit...somehow, I still found the time to complete Z-Dione Attack. What is in store?

I have never played the original, so I'm coming at this from a virgin perspective. This wad looks really good all the way around. Detailing is plentiful but tasteful, and usually doesn't get in the way. Also the new music and textures were pretty decent.

However, the gameplay did get in the way of this being a perfect wad. As my heavy eyelids try to stop me from devoting this time to reviewing Z-Dione, I get mental images of the two entirely segregated kinds of maps in this wad: Techbase and Hell.

In the techbase, you fight zombies. Zombieman, shotgunners, and chaingunners are the ONLY enemies around. Although it can make for a fast paced game, this continued for several maps and it got pretty monotonous. Also, the traps are predictable and get annoying. There is a severe lack of variety in these levels - although the layouts were good, the endless mobs of the same 3 enemies were just too similar around every corner.

Abruptly, as quickly as I'm about to fall asleep, you enter Hell. It's actually quite cool to see such a very theme-oriented wad. As soon as you are in hell, no more hitscanners. Demons only! Now the problem was that there was not enough ammo. Whereas before, you had rooms full of unused chainguns and shotguns, here you end up scrambling. And here's one thing: Apparently you are supposed to have the plasma gun because there's ammo everywhere, however I did not actually find it. I guess the wad is designed with continuous (not pistol start) play, and even then I was frustrated enough to give myself a plasma gun (having 0 ammo, 0 shells, 0 rockets, and 300 cells.) Lots of parts in hell, I just ran by due to lack of ammo.

There are a few other problems, such as a hom that I found, but actually this wad is pretty damn fun. It could use more varied monsters: map07 is the only place to combine zombies and demons, which I found to be the best map despite the very easy final battle. But, the traps just sucked - a couple were just small rooms where you have to wait for a door to open. I survived but, it was very uninspired and cheap. Other places, especially in the hell levels, were just too cramped already. Use of 20% damaging sectors was not balanced with extra health or an rad-suit that I found. Overall, not a totally polished WAD. However, this does offer a fun romp for 30 to 60 minutes.

• One Doomed Marine - Andrew Jones-Gonzales
    Doomsday - Solo Play - 1094823 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Firstly, you need to extract the wad files from the pk3 and run them all alongside the pk3 in order to make it work. Secondly, it's Doomsday specific (1.8.6 recommended). It will run in GZDoom but you'll get a load of "you fail it" icons instead of the cool sparks and dynamic lights seen in the screenshots.

Once you've done that...it's a 5-map wad, starting out with techbases and finishing up in hell. It pulls off the darker atmosphere quite nicely indoors, with plenty of detail and the Doomsday effects mentioned above. The hell maps didn't work as well though IMO; in fact, these are much brighter too.

Gameplay is fairly packed with high mob counts in many rooms, some sneaky teleport traps, and health isn't overly abundant either, although there's nothing overly-hard, and a bit too much ammo also. Overall it's fairly straightforward classical stuff underneath the Doomsday sheen, but it does add to the experience so it's worth playing if you like both.

• Condemned Base - Valhallaist
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 256286 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: magicsofa
    Valhallaist has made his first release for us to review. As soon as I saw "first map" and the mostly negative comments on /idgames, I figured I was in store for surreal texturing, strange monster placement, and overall noobishness.

And, I was! However, this isn't what you might call a "fail." In fact, I found much of the map to be quite fun in that weird 1994 way. The action is mostly pretty intense despite the immense size of the rooms - partly because of the smart use (but not overuse) of chaingunners. Also there are some cool parts like a long hallway with arachnotrons patrolling at the end, which you cannot lure forward! There are many simple but effective gameplay elements that sometimes are missing from modern wads. Ammo and health were balanced quite nicely - I found this to be one of the best parts of the wad.

Now, even though there are good points to this level, there's still a whole slew of slop to sludge through. Mostly I hope that Valhallaist takes these points into account on his next mapping effort: As for players, I'm not sure if you want to venture into this. It's certainly '94 qualified, for any nostalgia seekers. However, it might be too annoying for people expecting detail and precisely constructed battles. Note: flats and textures are mixed, which is why I said this needs ZDoom, otherwise I think it does not use advanced features.

OKAY: On to the flaw fest:

Some of the rooms actually looked kind of cool, like in the second screenshot, but most of them are immense and totally bare. There was effort to make stuff that looks like a real place: I recognized bathrooms, sleeping quarters, storage rooms, some kind of power room, sewers, and instances of hell taking over. However, it was only in a very abstract way and looked awkward and blocky.

A lot of the moving parts of the level were annoying or dysfunctional. I think there is a door that has no action assigned to it, blocking off huge portions of the level. The lifts seemed to have only one side tagged, whereas other sides would not work. Also, there were some really annoying switch hunts where you were forced to run all the way down some ridiculous hallway just to open the door miles back. Of course, this is a common problem, but anyway it interrupted the flow significantly considering the huge scale.

Unmoving parts were also awkward. Such as: Invisible windows (i.e. impassable lines that you can climb up to), openings that are 48 units wide, and inescapable pits. Not only are 48 unit openings annoying for the player to fit through, they generally break the gameplay because monsters absolutely can't navigate them. In one spot there was a hole in the wall with imps and lost souls behind it - none of them could get out so they just ended up infighting. It would have worked much better if the opening were wider so they could pour out into the hallway. Finally, there is the obligatory slew of misaligned textures.

One part of the level really pissed me off, which was a giant blue maze. It would have been more navigable if it were smaller (it wasn't actually very easy to get lost in, just took a long time to run through). The real problem though, was the ridiculous amount of chaingunners all over the walls. Their ammo is usually not available, and there isn't enough health around to compensate for their endless barrage of bullets. This was the part where the previous ammo and health balance totally broke down.

My suggestion to Valhallaist: Try making some smaller levels, pay attention to the alignment of your textures and the placement of your switches. There was a really cool part where you hit a switch to raise a platform in the sewer, which you would end up getting to later. This is when having a switch do something remote is acceptable: When you can see what's going on, and also when you don't have to do a ton of backtracking to get there. Backtracking can be cool especially when more monsters are appearing but if it takes too long it can just be boring, and confusing. There are some other conventions that could be followed: Pits that have no escape are no fun, passages should be wide enough to accommodate monster movement, lifts should operate from all sides, the player shouldn't be running into invisible walls, etc. However, despite these errors this was a really good first map attempt which served up a little bit of the most important aspect of Doom mapping: Gameplay. I look forward to seeing the next effort by Valhallaist!

• DogTag 3 for ST - Revenant & MrBlonde
    Skulltag - Team DM - 449142 bytes - (img)
    A Skulltag update of the classic DogTag3 teamplay wad. Changes mainly deal with making the wad compatible with the Skulltag gamemode, but other changes have been made too, including the removal of the 1v1 map.

• La Juente Energética 3 / The Power Supply 3 - Alberto Sáez Lodeiros, "Karnizero"
    GZDoom - Solo Play - 1032682 bytes - (img)
    Another remake of the early Garrulo map...this time for GZDoom. Some kind of Super-Effective-Light-Remover (tm) has been applied to the map, and afterwards blanketed in a thin fog and point lights of various colours/sizes dotted around with some other features like 3D floors and deep sludge. It gives the map a spooky Unreal-esque feel, but means you have to be far more cautious than usual to stay alive. It's more detailed, and I think the atmosphere works just right; just be prepared for a rough ride due to the darkness. It doesn't feel like the original map at all (which I guess is a good thing), and it's worth a look if you're into these kinds of special effects.

• Knee Deep in the UnDead - Matthew "Foodles" Edwards
    doom.exe - Solo Play - 441588 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    A 9-map E1 replacement. And it stays true to the theme, apart from using fast doors and E2 textures in places. It strays to and from each E1 map's theme in varying amounts, adding a bit more detail. Gameplay is as you'd expect with E1's monster set, but with more traps (often with the aforementioned fast doors) and it can trouble in places if you get too reckless, plus the boss fight is a little different, as well as harder. If you like nostalgia and Phobos bases you'll want to play, if you don't it's safe enough to pass.

• Mega5 Deathmatch series! - Various
    Limit Removing - Deathmatch - 7213283 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: AveryMaurice
    There's quite a bit to say about this WAD. Mega5 is a deathmatch WAD made in cooperation by a bunch of mappers; each map is very detailed and very appealing to the eye. Besides a few alignment issues, the maps are seamless and look great. The goal of this project, from my understanding, was to make a set of old school style maps dedicated to deathmatch. This does not mean the WAD is vanilla-compatible, so be warned.

The gameplay on these maps is mostly smooth, but a few maps (such as the motherboard map in particular) are too wide open, which seems to be more for appearance rather than gameplay. Unfortunately, this renders some of the maps not so fun to play, and sometimes makes you resort to firing blindly in hopes of getting a kill.

Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of gems in this WAD as well, each with its own unique play style and strategies. You quickly learn each map you're playing on no matter the size, mostly due to the flow most of these maps have. This leads to quick, strategic deathmatches.

Something that I enjoyed as well was the hub (MAP00) level, in which players would make a dash for the level they would want to play and, whoever reaches their desired level first would get to deathmatch on that map.

So overall, this is a nice collection of deathmatch WADs and is great for replay value. I congratulate the mappers on making such detailed and enjoyable maps, and I highly recommend this be added to everyone's collection.

• Pi2 - Shadowman
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 685654 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Snakes
    Pi2 is some pretty good stuff. It isn't perfect, but it gets the job done. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect after reading the .txt description: "A little map in techno-style with some elements of Kobal-style." Truth be told, it's kind of hard for me to think of a good way to review the darn thing because it's just so... well, little.

The whole thing won't take more than 5 minutes to blast through, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth the download. After all, it's got some great architecture and a nice overall feel. I don't know if the recolor sprites for the imp are necessary, but recoloring the demon blood red really helps it blend in with the environment. It's a clever little way to boost the atmosphere a bit.

The style isn't an unfamiliar one. I mean, come on, who hasn't seen a variation of red lights and grimy, tech-base textures? He manages to keep it interesting, though. It's the attention to lighting that really boosts the map's quality. There isn't much variety, but the use of blinking lights gives it a real abandoned-base sort of feel, and hey! Who doesn't like that?

The main problem here is really the sudden spike in difficulty that occurs when you gain access to the blue key. Everything else up to that point is your simple hitscan/imp/demon combos with a thin health supply, but then there's that hair-tug "GAAAAH!" worthy trap that, without the secrets, would be just obnoxious. Why? Because you're suddenly stuck in a battle with a bunch of basic enemies and an arch-vile without much place to hide... and odds are at that point, you'll have about 1 medkit to keep your skin from burning. It's just frustrating. Also, there isn't much variety in the traps to keep you guessing. Who knows what will happen after that teleporter trap? (HINT: It'll probably be another teleporter trap).

... Wow, sorry about that. Aside from that little rant, Pi2 is worth a play. If nothing else, you'll have to appreciate the overall look of it. Also, I think that the new trees look pretty darn good. I just thought it was a bit too style-over-substance to be a truly great map.

• 5 years - Shadowman
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 727449 bytes - (img) (img)
    3 small maps, set in a rocky area, a mine and a freight depot respectively. It looks rather nice with the new textures and trees, particularly the first map. It's all fully brown, but nicely detailed, and the 3rd map has some nice relevant detail too. Gameplay isn't too bad either; the first map revolves around 2 invasions, the 2nd has some close quarters and sniper action, and the 3rd is based around set-pieces in the main depot area. Ammo is a little tight to start with, but health is tight all the way through. Overall it's a nice and fun mapset that's worth checking, and as a little green man once said, size matters not.

• Dallion One - Chris Wright
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 315321 bytes - (img)
    Reviewed by: MegaDoomer
    This is a map by Chris Wright. No surprise here, it's rather poor. While the size is big and individual rooms don't look awful, texturing and monster placement are both incredibly random with no theme or trend whatsoever. Thing placement isn't much better, and the difficulty is an unbalanced mess. To compound the matter, the map is unfinished, although it isn't one I'd just love to see finished by any means. Avoid.

• The Support Relay - Jon " 40oz " Vail
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 241974 bytes - (img)
    A single techbase map. It's a bit older than those in UAC Ultra, but if you gave it a new coat of (dark grey) paint it'd look like one. There are still some new textures (including some cool camo ones), and there's plenty of detail to go around. Gameplay also resembles UAC Ultra...fairly challenging in places (especially at the end) but entirely linear and subsequently a bit boring (although the ammo is a little tight at times, unlike its successor). Great if you like this kind of style, but the gameplay enthusiasts might be better avoiding.

• Fag Face Alpha - Chris Wright
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 13093 bytes - (img)
    Reviewed by: Snakes
    Level description: "This one's for Bloodshedder."

Ah hell. Frankly, I don't really think this merits a review. Take a moment to look at the screenshot. I'll wait...

You see it? Okay, then you've basically seen the entire level. It's about 19 enemies scattered through an entirely flat level, and the only variation is in the floor. THAT'S IT! Now, I could start rambling about how this is the work of a grown-up man-boy thing with no sense of reality. I could do that, but I'm not going to. Because, honestly, this doesn't deserve it. Instead, I'll just leave it at this:

This wad is Chris Wright. Skip it.

• Pain Keep - John Cartwright
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 399409 bytes - (img)
    Reviewed by: 40oz
    This is a very large map that has over 500 monsters in it. It's made up of very extensive hallways and large symmetrical rooms with weirdly applied Gothic Deathmatch textures (that aren't included in the file; you have to go find them yourself and run the texture wad with the map).

There are some very huge rooms and some impressive visuals, though I wish I could appreciate it more; however, the author of the map is horrendously stingy with providing health and ammo given the extreme number of monsters. You need to play the map in a "fuck bitches, get money" fashion, in which monsters and ammo are bitches and money. While disregarding many of the pinky demons, chainsawing a couple imps (that I had to IDCHOPPERS for) and getting monsters to fight each other, I still couldn't make it very far.

FYI: Doomers like to have ammo to kill the monsters they are presented with.

• Happy Birthday Mr. Chris - Jon 40oz Vail
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 29969 bytes - (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Kirby
    This is a short map created by 40oz in celebration of Mr. Chris' birthday. The map itself is a fairly small map packed with monsters and tons of ammunition. Despite the loads of monsters, this map is not too hard to get through and is easily completable in under 5 min, mainly because you'll find you always have a steady supply of ammunition. Still, it offers a small challenge with decent detail, overall making this a wad that is still fun to play through.

Now all one needs is Mr. Chris' opinion on his b-day wad...

• Doomworld Speedmapping Compilation #22 - Various (uploaded by Armouredblood)
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 79558 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: 40oz
    Speedmaps!

These maps are small but they take about 6 minutes each to play because of the large monster count. Plenty of ammo, frantic gameplay, layouts are all right. Nothing much else to say. Recommended.

• Invasion of the Vile: Chapter 1 - Ryan Albright (High Flyin' Ryan)
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 8470718 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    8 small maps in the form of an episode. They all flow into each other, but have pretty basic square layouts and architecture. At least there's a consistent theme in each map (including the rarely-used vine textures) and it plays OK. The difficulty is reasonable, with the odd beastiary monster cropping up for extra knocks (including the bosses), but there's way too much ammo.

This wad is aiming to recreate the classic style of mapping, and it has mostly succeeded - both in that style, and also the Simplicity style (as the ZDoom features are fairly minimal). So it should please if you like either of those; it won't take up that much time either.

• av20 from memory - TimeOfDeath (Chris Balch)
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 285715 bytes - (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: walter confalonieri
    This is a remake of map20 from the awesome megawad "Alien Vendetta", made a long time ago in 2003 (if I remember well enough). By the way, this is a large, complex level, and is really good looking. The only bad thing is this map doesn't have a exit, but it still looks awesome.

• Sanity - Joe Anderson "tot comics guy"
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 9230269 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Here we have 11 small maps...one for endings, one for credits, one for DM, one is a lame training map, and one is an endless icon of sin battle. This leaves 6 small maps that focus on the protagonist being trapped inside his own mind (while in a coma). It's tongue-in-cheek throughout, with a running commentary on the quest to wake up and the battle between Sanity and Insanity, together with a few other funneys (including monster/weapon replacement sprites). The maps themselves are nothing special (apart from some neat city-style areas), and the gameplay isn't either, but if you fancy a little bit of light humour, then it's worth spending the short while needed to finish it.

• Deimos Entry - Paul Corfiatis (pcorf)
    doom.exe - Solo Play - 54346 bytes - (img)
    Reviewed by: MegaDoomer
    This is a nice and quick little map Paul made in the style of the original E2. Both architecture and gameplay/monsters match accordingly. The detail is low, but the map isn't bad at all to look at, and the gameplay is quite easy but nonetheless fun for the roughly five minutes it lasts. The map would have probably fit right into the earlier sections of the original E2, which I'd say is a good thing. Overall it's not anything to write home about, but worth a playthrough.

fp

av20 from memory is a cool idea. I think I might make a 'from memory' series of my favorite doom maps.

I really like that mapping from memory idea too (I stole it from Creaphis).
Btw, there are two maps. First map is nuts-style in the starting area of av20 with the switch-hunts from av20 taken to the extreme. Second map is an incomplete remake of the rest of that map (only about 1/4) without any monsters.

I thought Knee Deep in the Undead was absolutely brilliant, especially considering it's the author's first release, he almost nailed it perfectly.

Most people here enjoy classic maps, so I'd say it's a must-play level set. I'm certainly glad I sat through it.

I approve of the birthday map, as I already did since I posted on the WAD's page previously.

Fag Face Alpha - Chris Wright

Mapping while angry might be cathartic but I doubt it's ever resulted in a great map. If not for the curved walls and off-the-grid construction, Fag Face Alpha could be mistaken for for a Wolf3D map gone bad - should have been left to gather dust on Chris' hard drive.

I'm not that impressed by the review of "One Doomed Marine".

Firstly it's obvious that the wad requires Doomsday by the review header. Why mention it again in the review text.

Second, why mention that the wad will load in another port...

The wad will load in GZDoom yes, in the same way you can load most maps made for any port into any other port, but they just won't be playable to varying degrees. ODM won't fully work in any port other than Doomsday.

Cos people don't always read stuff like text files, headers etc. and just default to loading it in GZDoom or w/e, and there are many wads for other ports that GZDoom can load...so better to mention that it won't work properly.

There aren't many ports that can load ZDoom mods, since generally they're made with the Hexen map format, or UDMF. That leaves only ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, and Vavoom -- the single non-ZDoom-derivative that is mostly compatible.

On the other hand, GZDoom is able to load most mods. Maybe not always correctly, but it can read the map format at least. (Exception: Doom64 Ex mods.)

So, I can understand why people may use it as the "default" port to get a quick glance at a mod without bothering to read the text file first.

GreyGhost said:

Mapping while angry might be cathartic but I doubt it's ever resulted in a great map.

I'm gonna be the first to make a good map while angry.

Vermil said:

ODM won't fully work in any port other than Doomsday.

I don't see how you can even finish it in anything other than Doomsday. I used XG to script some switches and line triggers, and I'm pretty sure those would be required to finish the levels.

Super Jamie said:

I thought Knee Deep in the Undead was absolutely brilliant, especially considering it's the author's first release, he almost nailed it perfectly.

Most people here enjoy classic maps, so I'd say it's a must-play level set. I'm certainly glad I sat through it.

I agree. It was a pretty good episode although not perfect E1 in style. But Deimos Entry was much better, haha only joking!

Gez said:

There aren't many ports that can load ZDoom mods, since generally they're made with the Hexen map format, or UDMF. That leaves only ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, and Vavoom -- the single non-ZDoom-derivative that is mostly compatible.

The Doomsday 1.9 beta's can load Hexen format maps in Doom and hence load maps from ZDoom mods. They won't be fully playable of course, much like how ODM.wad is made for Doomsday and hence isn't fully playable in ZDoom.

Anyway's I was talking about the pointlessness of the review text stating the wad required Dday when it is clearly stated in the header for the review.

I commented on the pointlessness of the review stating that he tried to load the maps in GZDoom either before or after playing them in Doomsday.

Vermil said:

I'm not that impressed by the review of "One Doomed Marine".

Welcome to TnC, home of reviewers who don't read textfiles, criticise your choice of port and even play in the wrong port, rather than making the effort to play the level properly and focus on analysing it in any decent sort of fashion.

HA! Chris Wright most certainly put that no good mean old Bloodshedder in his place with his awesome wad! No doubt it's going to be a long long time before Bloodshedder does whatever he did to deserve that again.

Condemned Base made me rage quit. Twice. First time because I was greeted with huge homs in the first room and "No texture"-flats in the second room in prboom+. Second rage quit was after I tried it in ZDoom, had no texture errors and THE README DIDN'T SAY A WORD ABOUT REQUIRING ZDOOM. Fuck that shit.

It should probably run also in recent builds of Eternity, since texture/flat support mixing was added there not too long ago.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

But the review header did.

That's a bullshit excuse, that's like saying when you find a wad, you'll need to first find its respective tnc review to see what port it runs in before attempting to play. Also, I didn't read the review, only saw the screenshot Super Jamie linked. The thing is, the required port should be mentioned in the readme. End of story.

Gez said:

It should probably run also in recent builds of Eternity, since texture/flat support mixing was added there not too long ago.

The later Doomsday 1.9 betas support flat/texture mixing as well. Still I don't think the wad is actually finishable with out cheating anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

MEga5 was a blast to play with bots, and should be in every deathmatcher's collection, but it won't, as dipshits will play it for 5 minutes, quit, and go back to DWANGO5.

Csonicgo said:

MEga5 was a blast to play with bots, and should be in every deathmatcher's collection, but it won't, as dipshits will play it for 5 minutes, quit, and go back to DWANGO5.

The same could be said for every YEDS project ever.