Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iori

Episode I - WIP

I have a few unfinished maps laying around from years past, so last week I have decided to take what I have and rework them into an E1 Episode! *groan*

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, and so far they are all sparsely detailed but choco-compatible maps.

In most cases I made the first room then quit, but in the odd one there's almost a full map.
I'm emphasizing abstract geometry, flow, and light gameplay.

Here are a couple screens:

http://imgur.com/F8FjE.gif

http://imgur.com/kriGw.gif

Nice. For authenticity, though, I'd ditch most of the autoalign, and make sure you get the proportions (both hall widths, and ceiling heights) right. Lots of 72-tall ceilings and similar in e1.

I'd typically also say some stuff about all the interconnection and windows and such in e1, but I know you have that part down ;)

Finish it. I really like nostalgic maps. Brings me back to happier times...

I always liked John Romero's style. Although he was limited by machine and engine capabilities at the time, his semi-detailed, well-lit maps still oozed atmosphere. The closer you get to replicating that, the better this will be, but you seem to be on the right track anyway, judging by the screenshots.

Awesome stuff, looks like it's going to be winner! It's much better that your going for a more abstract approach rather than a realistic approach.

The latest three shots feel E1-ish in texture theme but less so in their overall composition, somehow, when compared to your earlier shots. It's a sort of nebulous difference that I'm not sure how to best explain. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though: it looks good, has a classic style to it, and it's certainly an interesting, skillfully-designed area.

Since this probably sounded like I'm complaining when I wasn't really trying to, I'll just say I like it and leave it at that. I like iori maps and this is looking to be no exception :)

Yeah I know what you mean. I have a tendency to keep messing when I should just leave it alone :P
Anyway, these maps now require a limit removing port. I guess one could say they will be E1 themed iori maps then, because I can't step outside myself for very long before my natural tendencies take over and I 'own' what I make. Onward-Ho!