• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kyka

importing new flats into a wad.

So how is this done.

From the Doom wiki:
" however, new flats can be defined by assigning them their own unique lump names. For vanilla Doom, in order for the flats to be usable in-game,"

Whenever I import a new flat, instead of seeing a graphic, I just get a mess of symbols. How do you get around this?

I know I can rename existing flats, but I have already done this to the point of starting to run out of unused flats.

Am mapping for ZDoom, if this happens to allow other ways to get around this.

Thanks for any help. :)

Okay, is it in the proper namespace? In vanilla Doom, all that's needed is to put an F_END marker in your wad after them (do not put an F_START marker if you aim for vanilla compatibility). Simplest thing ever.

Then they've got to be converted to the flat format (raw data dump, essentially), or, for ZDoom, any supported image format.

Kyka said:

Whenever I import a new flat, instead of seeing a graphic, I just get a mess of symbols. How do you get around this?

Here's how it's done in XWE...

Double-click the FLOOR button from the Filter Toolbar. You can select multiple entries. This will create FF_START and FF_END lumps (if needed).
Import all the selected images and save them as Doom flats.

This will work for 64x64, 128x128 and 256x256 size flats. The last two are supported in ZDooM.

Try to avoid naming flats the same as patch wads, might not make a difference in ZDoom but you never know. You might down the line end up porting the wad to something else.

On another note:

Legacy supports flats of 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 off the top of my head. But even with ZDoom supporting 128x128 and 256x256, I don't know if any existing wads actually use them.

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. :)

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was using Slumped to import the flats, which is what I usually use for most wad related stuff. I tried using XWE just coz I was all out of ideas, and I finally got all the flats to import and work properly.

I remembered vaguely reading in a thread somewhere that using Slumped and XWE together can cause graphic problems, so the texture wads that I was using must have been compiled using XWE, and me using Slumped to transfer them into my project was what was causing the problem, apparently.

Kyka said:

I remembered vaguely reading in a thread somewhere that using Slumped and XWE together can cause graphic problems

The problem is in the way SLumpEd and XWE handle the PNAMES and TEXTURE* lumps, when building those lumps SLumpEd has a tendency to pad short patch names with random characters (an issue that I hear is being stomped on in Slade3) and XWE insists on reading all 8 bytes of the namespace when it should stop at the first null byte.

GreyGhost said:

The problem is in the way SLumpEd and XWE handle the PNAMES and TEXTURE* lumps, when building those lumps SLumpEd has a tendency to pad short patch names with random characters (an issue that I hear is being stomped on in Slade3) and XWE insists on reading all 8 bytes of the namespace when it should stop at the first null byte.

I confirm it is not present in SLADE3. All fixed-length name fields are now padded with \0 if shorter than the max length.

But that's a bit moot since the texture editor is not finished yet.