Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

D.I.V.O.R.C.E.

Just thought i'd share. Moving out on monday after 4 years of marriage. Still, means less time stuck on the couch being forced to watch 90210 and more time Dooming...

Hopefully you're not in the position where you have to pay for a house you can't live in or something else equally stupid. I'm not necessarily anti-marriage, but most divorce laws need some serious reform.

Aliotroph? said:

Well, I hope that goes ok. What's with the thread title?

He separated the letters with dots. Hope you'll enjoy your freedom

D.I.V.O.R.C.E. is a dolly parton song. Like Y.M.C.A. but more letters and less jolly.

So far it's going well. Pretty amicable, the only thing we've almost squabbled over is the bottle opener/corkscrew. But I won out and she's already bought her own that she likes better.

Re: Divorce laws, they're a bit stupid (in the UK) you can't just "Get Divorced" like you can get married, either one of you has to file for divorce and explain everything you hate about the other (not good when you're trying to remain friends) or you have to live apart for two years and then you can do it almost automatically (not good if you want to draw a line and get on with life). The whole system is set up as if it's still the 1800's and the little wifey has to explain why she's divorcing the drunken, unfaithful husband and apply to the county court judge for permission (who may also be drunken & unfaithful and think her husband's behaviour is fine and not grounds for a divorce).

Maybe we need some countries that act like tax havens, but for divorce tourism. I suppose it might be hard to get your own country to recognize such a thing.

Speaking of marital issues, I've noticed my mom's boyfriend has started going around telling everybody we're his kids. I'm sure this is helped along by me sporting a similarly shaggy beard and haircut. I met him when I was 18. Father indeed! Still haven't decided on which nasty method to use to snap him back to reality. My real father -- asshole though he may be -- is a scientist, not a drunk redneck, damnit!

So yeah, best of luck. Amicable breakups can get pretty weird sometimes. Are you choosing the second method of divorce you mentioned? If it's none of my business you don't have to answer that. :)

Here I was thinking this was going to be some weird S.T.A.L.K.E.R mod...

Divorce sucks. I wish it didn't happen as much as it does these days. Everyone I know has parents whom have divorced, so I count myself lucky that mine haven't.

Planky said:

Here I was thinking this was going to be some weird S.T.A.L.K.E.R mod...

Either that or F.E.A.R.

cycloid said:

So far it's going well. Pretty amicable, the only thing we've almost squabbled over is the bottle opener/corkscrew.

Lawyers aren't involved yet?

Do you have kids? Never talk bad about the other parent in front of the kids.

cycloid said:

D.I.V.O.R.C.E. is a dolly parton song. Like Y.M.C.A. but more letters and less jolly.

And Billy Connolly did a reworking of it in 1975.

magicsofa said:

why I'm afraid to get married

Just sign a pre-nup.

exp(x) said:

You're just jealous.

Technician said:

So is testicles.

I had unprotected sex twice in the last 12 hours. How about you?

Britain's divorce laws are known for being so wife friendly that sometimes they chuck pre-nups out the window. Sounds like the secret there is to try even harder than normal not to marry a bitch. :/

AndrewB said:

I had unprotected sex twice in the last 12 hours. How about you?

Can't compete with that. Of course I stay away from emotionally unstable girls. I'm not as thick skinned as you.