Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

US federal authorities shut down 9 pirate sites

bytor said:

I don't need to read the Wikipedia page for a site I visit pretty much daily.

Pimping one of their recent logo-changing events: http://vodo.net/pioneerone

Either way, shutting down some shitty sites filled with mainstream content available from thousands of other sites is meaningless. I'd be more worried if they targeted some specialty sites, like the ones run by AvistaZ. Not that it's going to happen, not enough money in that.

Hey hardcore_gamer:

Pirating a game robs developers of "potential profit"
Buying a game used robs developers of "potential profit"

Should Gamestop be made illegal too? What about libraries? You do know that when you buy a used game from Gamestop, you are technically engaging in Piracy? Yeah, Gamestop gets the money, but the developers don't see a dime. They are both on the same level.

hardcore_gamer said:

Instead I am being called a communist and a Nazi among other things.

Not that I'm supporting hardcore_gamer, but did anyone else laugh at this?

PRIMEVAL said:

The sites they listed I never even heard of.

Which is why I offered Pirate Bay as another example. The fact that it came back online is beside the point.

Will you only be concerned when 'they' target <yourfavoritesite>?

And yes...Other entities have stepped in with pockets full of money to capitalize on the publicity to gain power in Parliament.

What makes "closing down sites" pointless today is that most piracy is done vis P2P networks, aka the "warez" is distributed. "Closing down" sites that host torrent files, torrent trackers or rapidshare links will do nothing, as the links themselves can be saved and replicated much more rapidly than the warez itself and users can just use another tracker.

You only found centralized, direct-download "warez sites" back in the 90s. Yeah, if you took THOSE down, the "warez" went down too.

Today none is distributing warez in that way (http file sharing is an exception) except maybe for older/smaller/abandonware titles.

Maes said:

http file sharing

i kinda suspect this was the cause. or even worse, streaming.

They're confiscating servers.

Oh the simple days of ftp and newsgroups.

Maes said:

You only found centralized, direct-download "warez sites" back in the 90s. Yeah, if you took THOSE down, the "warez" went down too.

Even then the stuff was all over people's FTP sites traded via IRC and on Usenet.

Few people seemed to find anything wrong with it. My physics teacher in grade 11 came up to me and asked me if I ever downloaded warez. I thought that was pretty funny.

hardcore_gamer said:

When you say that its almost as if you are incapable of grasping the fact that their are in fact people out their WHO SIMPLY DON'T PIRATE!

It is actually nearly impossible not to break a piracy or copyright law once in you're life, and you probably already have many times before without even knowing it.

hardcore_gamer said:

No, I was not expecting hand-clapping. But I was expecting more maturity from the thread. So far all you have done is badmouthing me.

Ever see the reactions on Doomworld to warezed Doom games? It's not pretty. Ever stop to think that people take a contrary position to yours just because they don't like you?

Use3D said:

Ever see the reactions on Doomworld to warezed Doom games? It's not pretty. Ever stop to think that people take a contrary position to yours just because they don't like you?

I wouldn't go as far as to say this, I think that a lot of people have a valid point on their position of piracy. I mean, warez threads arn't appreciated since this is a Doom forum after all, but it doesn't mean that people here support anti-piracy.

Use3D said:

think that people take a contrary position to yours just because they don't like you?

Of course not, but that isn't really the problem.

The problem is this:

Technician said:

Get off your fucking high horse, hardcore_gamer, seriously. Fucking pinko.

Maes said:

Für hardcore_gamer, SIEG HEIL!!!

Not agreeing with somebodies point of view and being genuinely rude are two wildly different things.

hardcore_gamer said:

Not agreeing with somebodies point of view and being genuinely rude are two wildly different things.

Maybe its because of your "Piracy is bad, I, like a good american, buy all my entertainment, now look at these people getting punished because they don't agree with my views." posts.

Aliotroph? said:

Few people seemed to find anything wrong with it. My physics teacher in grade 11 came up to me and asked me if I ever downloaded warez. I thought that was pretty funny.

I traded games on floppies with one of my teachers when I was 12 or 13. They were for his son, and I got in return one of my favorite games to this day, Magic Carpet. Back then legality was still a complete non-issue, you could buy warez CDs in regular game stores if you knew how to ask about them.

Aliotroph? said:

Funny, I had a physics teacher who confiscated every burned cd she saw 'because piracy is bad m'kay?'

hardcore_gamer said:

You're getting these responses because you're acting like a smug prick. No one likes smug pricks.

bytor said:

Which is why I offered Pirate Bay as another example. The fact that it came back online is beside the point.

Will you only be concerned when 'they' target <yourfavoritesite>?

And yes...Other entities have stepped in with pockets full of money to capitalize on the publicity to gain power in Parliament.

I'm just saying I never heard of them. If they were popular, I would have thought I would have at least heard about one of them. Just my 2 cents.

PRIMEVAL said:

I'm just saying I never heard of them. If they were popular, I would have thought I would have at least heard about one of them. Just my 2 cents.

I know, PRIMEVAL. I used your quote but my response wasn't directed at you. More of a 'in general' response. I've never heard of any of them either!

hardcore_gamer said:

Personally I am glad that people are actually doing something about piracy for once. I know this isn't going to end piracy since new sites will probably be brought online soon enough, but its nice to see that the pirates aren't completely immune like they consider them self's to be.

Thoughts?

Heh. Piracy is not bad. It's especially good for games these days, as they rarely come with demos. They let you play test it so you don't blow $50(Or the moronic price of $60) on a game that's bad. Every game that I have downloaded(Which is few) I've either gone out and bought it, or removed it from my computer.

PRIMEVAL said:

Can't you tell they were immensely popular? A collective 6.7 million visitors a month!

25000 hits a day per site. I know it's hard to compare tracker stats to site hits, but one of the smallest torrent sites that I visit constantly has about 30000 peers.

Heres my own personal opinion about this: Piracy will NEVER go away because its part of life and you can't get rid of them completely. So tough shit :P

Partition36 said:

Not that I'm supporting hardcore_gamer, but did anyone else laugh at this?

I chuckled a bit.

hardcore_gamer said:

I find this funny because you're hanging onto a couple of replies in an attempt to prove that all of us are "big bad meanies" or whatever the fuck. Your basing an assumption of everyone on just a couple of posters.

And if you wanna bring the *chonz, you aren't being trolled, but you certainly act like it.

Mr. Freeze said:

Hey hardcore_gamer:

Pirating a game robs developers of "potential profit"
Buying a game used robs developers of "potential profit"

Should Gamestop be made illegal too? What about libraries? You do know that when you buy a used game from Gamestop, you are technically engaging in Piracy? Yeah, Gamestop gets the money, but the developers don't see a dime. They are both on the same level.

If I buy a Honda and pay it off, do the people who manufactured the car have any right to further compensation if I decide to later sell the vehicle? Why should game companies get a dime when their physical copy has already been payed for? What happens after that copy has changed ownership is none of their fucking business. They are greedy assholes.

hardcore_gamer said:

I still assumed that they would express their thoughts in a fairly civil manner.

I think the doomworld forums have struck a wonderful balance. People here are civil. However, they are also brutally honest and blunt. You could have presented your argument in a civil way which would cause people to disagree without taking a shit right on your head. For example, maybe you could have said:

"I'm personally against piracy, and like to see the government doing something about it. However, I know closing these sites probably doesn't have much of an effect.

Thoughts?"

Instead, you spoke with naivete and arrogance deserving of a big fuck you. So, GTFO

How many serial killings, bank heists, and maybe even terrorist plots probably went unchecked while all this federal agent manpower was misdirected to serving as the Cartel's personal police force?

hardcore_gamer said:

For someone who claims to be a Hardcore Gamer, you seem easily angered.

I hereby instigate the notion that your name is a lie.

I'm against piracy for differing reasons that Hardcore_gamer. I like to think of money as being a symbol of work (I know this isn't always the case, there are other methods to obtain money, but this is the most common aproach). You have to work for money, and money is used to purchase the things you want, therefore the things you get are equated for the amount of work you provide toward it. Video game developers and musicians and other creators of things that are pirated have to work to make their final products in addition to spending money that they worked for to get the resources they used to make them. I think it's unfair that there are people who will deliberately take these things without demonstrating that they had provided enough services to people to equal the value of the amount of work the product costs.

I understand piracy laws are broken all the time but just because it happens all the time doesn't mean you should take advantage of it. It's a moral thing. If you don't have morals and aren't willing to take into consideration my own morals then disregard this post. I also believe that even though there might not be some higher being watching over the things we do, I still think it is smart and beneficial for the people around you to behave as if there is. But I'm not going to post and post and post about having good morals. I'm not your mother. But this is why I choose to pay for the things I desire.