Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Just started playing through F.E.A.R.

It seems like one of those games I should have tried earlier, but I put it off and just started playing it a few years after its release. Anyways, I think its an awesome game, easily one of my favorites of the past few years. I thought the "scary" scenes wouldn't be frightening from the trailers and small amounts of game play I saw, but the atmosphere of the game is amazing and some of the scenes are still surprising and frightening me quite a bit. The only complaints I really have so far is the story is pretty bland as well as the difficulty is sometimes super easy or super hard.

What do you guys think of the game? I personally am really enjoying it so far.

AveryMaurice said:

I think its an awesome game

kristus said:

It's shit.

AveryMaurice said:

I concur

No you don't!

Personally, I thought it was OK. It was, perhaps, one of the better newer games that I have played but sections of it did get very dull, I found the invisible ninjas annoying and had predicted the ending and how the story would play out (pretty much) after about 20 minutes of playing.

I always thought it was a good game. The visuals have aged rather badly, though :/

The sequel was awful.

AveryMaurice said:

I heard this as well, is it even worth playing?

I would advise you to check out the demo before you acquire the full game.

Kaiser worked on the expansion pack called "The perseus mandate". I even think he was lead level designer on it. So I'd be interested in playing that for that reason. But the rest, no thanks.

Anyway. It's shit, because it's one of the most boring games I've ever played. All the levels are extremely dull. The story is lame and the enemies all look the same. Even the name of the game is extremely convoluted and pretentious. FEAR - First Encounter Assault Recon. WTF? Are you assault or are you recon? How about you make up your mind. It's not even slightly scary either so I dunno how they can make that claim.

They put a little zombie girl into the game because little zombie girls are scary by default. And some guy that eats dead people cause that shit is scary as well. Especially when the zombie girl disintegrates into thin air. Scary shit right there. Ooga booga.

I stopped playing after going through the first section of factory maps that all were basically flat and looked the same.

kristus said:

FEAR - First Encounter Assault Recon. WTF? Are you assault or are you recon? How about you make up your mind.

Maybe if they threw some Imps into that First Encounter, then we'd be getting somewhere.

kristus said:

"The perseus mandate"

I picked that up in a bargain bin some time ago but, I guess, I simply wasn't impressed with the main game enough to load up the expansion. Perhaps I should.

I think it's spelled "Perseus Mandate". Not "The Perseus Mandate" :p

/detail Nazism

Everything kristus says about it is completely true and I don't care becasue it has the funnest fire fights in a FPS shooter ever. I have yet to see AI done better. I've finished it on the hard and extreme difficulty settings with and without slow mo and enjoyed every run.

I liked FEAR's controls, feels like old school COD; the melee attacks were a nice addition, and brought a twist to multiplayer. One thing I didn't like about it was there werent enough variety of enemies and locations, which could have warranted a longer campaign. MP is pretty solid, maybe even underrated.

I couldn't get into it. Too boring, not scary at all. DooM³ was scarier. Heck, Unreal was scarier.

Picked it up and FEAR2 recently for my PS3, I had the PC version when it came out but loaned the disc and, that was the end of it. I'm enjoying it, even though I have already been through it once. The badguys may be the same but use tactics against you, and you can approach the combat in many different ways based on how you react to the enemies. I just enjoying shooting them, I dunno. I've heard good things about FEAR2 so I'm looking forward to that. Can't go wrong for 10 bucks anyway. :)

Captain Red said:

Everything kristus says about it is completely true and I don't care becasue it has the funnest fire fights in a FPS shooter ever. I have yet to see AI done better. I've finished it on the hard and extreme difficulty settings with and without slow mo and enjoyed every run.

The AI is actually quite retarded. It's an illusion dependent upon level design (in terms of being able to designate enemy cover positions), and them vocalizing such as they're running for designated positioning.

FEAR remains one of my top 10 favorite shooters. Its a crapload of fun and I still play the shit out of it. Also, FEAR 2 was more like "OMG HORROR" and more Modern Warfare styled combat rather than the crazy action in FEAR1.

Its really a John Woo film pretending to be a Horror game. Forget the horror and FEAR kicks some serious ass. FEAR 2 was not scary, nor did it have all the crazy balls-to-the-walls action.

Captain Red said:

Everything kristus says about it is completely true and I don't care becasue it has the funnest fire fights in a FPS shooter ever.

This is pretty much spot on in my opinion. The levels are dull, the enemies are dull, the story is dull, but the combat is somehow satisfying in every way. Even if every fight is basically the same thing, it's just too much fun to complain. It's that "30 seconds of fun repeated" concept that in theory I'm vehemently opposed to, but it sucks me in anyway.

I'm not sure about all the hate for the sequel. I thought the fights were just as fun (but more varied), the story more interesting, and the visuals stunning. It even scared me more than the original.

POTGIESSER said:

The AI is actually quite retarded. It's an illusion dependent upon level design (in terms of being able to designate enemy cover positions), and them vocalizing such as they're running for designated positioning.

That was my impression too. It feels quite clever and complex but if you observe it for a while it becomes very apparent what the various routines are. However, it did vary the fight style and was quite effective.

I liked FEAR back when it came out because I had just gotten a new computer and I could run it with all the details up. It's a pretty fun shooter for a while but it really lacks variety.

One word comes up when I think of F.E.A.R. Buildings, buildings and more fucking buildings. No map really stands out from the rest, it looks all the same.

I dislike the monotony (said above, buildings, buildings, buildings), but it was a good game at it's core. The controls aren't half bad either...

I felt alright with this game at first. It didn't really grab my attention but I kept telling myself it must get better. I got through the stupid giant office building part which felt like a never ending generic office maze. Finally, I get out of that exhausting shithole in the helicopter. I think to myself that the next part must be fun, right? Wrong. I remember the helicopter being shot down and being put into this generic maze like old house which was even worse than the generic maze like office building.

Seriously, who the fuck were the level designers for this game? This game was a giant generic piece of crap. Didn't really know what that creepy little girl/ghost thing was about. Seemed to be a ripoff off of The Grudge, which was a remake of a Japanese movie.

What made me love FEAR was the multiplayer. So much fun running around with the shotgun, blasting people in half. With the shotgun, remote bombs and land mines you can turn a chunk of the indoor maps into a dead zone. FEAR still has a pretty active player base. Do your self a favor, jump online and go on a shotgun rampage.

hobomaster22 said:

Seemed to be a ripoff off of The Grudge, which was a remake of a Japanese movie.

The inspiration for Alma actually came from the movie "Ringu", known most commonly as the American remake "The Ring".

It was decent compared to most modern shooters I thought. Only other modern FPS games I've enjoyed were the STALKER games (mostly for the atmosphere) and Crysis (actually got pretty fun towards the end)

I got the second one on PS3 for a fiver. It was alright, a bit dull, don't really feel like playing through it again, even just to wrangle some trophies.

This is from one of the expansion packs, but it is probably one of the most frightening things I've seen in a video game: