Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Just started playing through F.E.A.R.

One thing I think Doom coulda followed FEAR on is - Dismemberment.

Much needed morbid dismemberment.

I liked F.E.A.R. but it got a bit too repetitive. I literally gave up after the chopper crashed in the city because rather than being greeted with a cool urban level I have to go through an unfinished construction building for some reason. Also the little girl seemed unnecessary, but maybe it makes sense later on. And I hated "slow motion", it just seemed tacky and really screwed up the game balance.

I found F.E.A.R. to be a fun game all around. I agree with Enjay on the AI though - it definitely feels like a refined AI but once you play long enough you'll figure out exactly what they're doing and where they are going. The thing that did appeal to me though was the way the story played out. I suppose it should, after all they had Warner Brothers Studios collaberate with them to make the game. It seems like one of those games that would make more sense if it were made into a movie, since that's the type of flow they went with while making it.

Multiplayer was by far the best part though. The maps were fun and adding the slow-mo powerup made the gameplay just that much more interesting online.

AveryMaurice said:

Aha yeah edited, wrong word I used there. For some reason thought concur meant disagree, my bad.

*roffling smiley goes here*

Though it's not as bad as a GTA forum classic i'll never forget:

GTA-addicted peasant said:

I want the next game to be set in modern times, i hate all these contempary settings!

Anyway, i started to play F.E.A.R after remembering blood-soaked magazine screenshots. Instead i found myself goose-stepping around dark rooms at 1mph, passed through 3-4 rooms without shooting anybody, and when i did was presented with a big red cloud that vanished and not the gushing femoral sprays smearing the walls that i wanted. So i quit and went back to assorted OBLIGE wads with Nashgore.

Anyway. It's shit, because it's one of the most boring games I've ever played. All the levels are extremely dull. The story is lame and the enemies all look the same. Even the name of the game is extremely convoluted and pretentious. DOOM. WTF? What does being a space marine have to do with fighting demons? It's not even slightly scary either so I dunno how they can make that claim.

They put a hell into the game because hell is scary by default. And some monster that resurrects dead people cause that shit is scary as well. Especially when the monster sometimes creates invisivle monsters Scary shit right there. Ooga booga.

I stopped playing after going through the first section of brown maps that all were basically 2.5D and looked the same.

Patrick said:

They put a hell into the game because hell is scary by default. And some monster that resurrects dead people cause that shit is scary as well. Especially when the monster sometimes creates invisivle monsters Scary shit right there. Ooga booga.

In his defence, FEAR was designed to be a "horror" game from the outset. Doom wasn't; the fact that it involved demons and hell was incidental, I always thought (until the PSX port came along and added an eerie soundtrack, giving the game a completely different mood to the original).

Btw, I'm not going to argue that the level design in FEAR was the most fantastic I've ever seen. It seems to be a common argument against the game. But personally, I had so much fun playing it that I was able to overlook this.

AveryMaurice said:

Actually, it was. :P

It was influenced by certain Evil Dead idiosyncrasies. That doesn't imply that it was designed from the ground up to be a horror game, in the sense that "creature X will be placed here for maximum pants-shitting effects", a la FEAR (and Doom 3, to a lesser extent).

Doom, in my mind, was an action game with horror elements.

The original game was a bit repetitive and samey. I finished it tho, just coz I always finish games that I start. (Unless they are exceptionally bad.)

But the expansion pack "Extraction Point" was simply brilliant. One of the scariest gaming experiences I have ever had, especially the ending, and much better than the original F.E.A.R. game itself.

So if you get the chance, definitely play it.

Never played F.E.A.R. 2, so can't comment on that.

Anyone know what the multiplayer is like? I think a few years ago the multiplayer part of FEAR was released for free, and I was wondering if people still play it now.

HWGuy said:

Anyone know what the multiplayer is like? I think a few years ago the multiplayer part of FEAR was released for free, and I was wondering if people still play it now.

From my understanding, the standalone multiplayer package (F.E.A.R. Combat) still has a fairly large player base.

Would anyone recommend Condemned: Criminal Origins? It's also by Monolith and it looks alot more interesting than FEAR.

I finished FEAR and all the expansion packs when it was on sale on Steam. It was...ok...the story was pretty boring.

1911 would be contemporary as well I think. There are some people who were alive then and who still are now...

So, nice try, but it's not old enough to be modern. :)

Gez said:

[/B]
Maybe he wanted Grand Theft Carriage?

... I think it actually would have some potential. Be Jack Sheppard or Burke or Hare or Dick Turpin or Louis Mandrin...

Erm... yeah. I think it was more along the lines of some (fuckin') gamer thinking "contempary" meant "in the past" when actually it means "at the same time as" so a "contempary setting" would be a game set in modern times.

And I was being a smartass because, in the historian jargon, modern times are firmly in the past. Something about the American Civil War would be modern times; something about the Russian Civil War would be contemporary (though it may shift from "contemporary" to "modern" within a decade or two).

When I think "modern" as a time period, I think of this. So 1911 would fit right into it. :P