Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Dumbest/Cheapest ways to die

potnop said:

I hate having no ammo and being forced to fight hordes of monsters. Legacy of Suffering Ahem ahem. It tried to recreate painkiller style gameplay while mixing it with Doom 3. I'm not really into that kind of gameplay. I like to run around, kill shit, and solve puzzles. Not fight endless hordes of monsters teleporting in and running out of ammo.

Chainsaw works on more mobs than usual due to it's power/strike rate.

Lizardcommando said:

How about clearing out an entire room full of imps and hell knights and losing about 95% of your health and then right before you pick up a medikit, a zombieman pops you in the head?

That happened to me lots of times.

40oz said:

running around a map with low health and being unable to determine whether a (debatable) animating flat will damage you or not without having to die. Especially poop water and blood.

heh, i've done that alot, you never know.

Vegeta said:

Archvile behind a fake wall, you have no clue were is he, so you try to cover while the flame animation is near completition, only to find you're in the wrong way.

I ran to the wall which had the archvile behind it and I died.

ArmouredBlood said:

Death by clipping mancubus fireball. It doesn't happen often, but when it does ... -.-

Very common on fast monsters, less common in UV. But I was playing TNT or Plutonia and I died that way.

Getting killed by a Lost Soul that got in your way when firing a rocket.

That one chain gunner you forgot about, who somehow has sneaked up behind you.

Edit: Tripping over a beserk pack with hitscanners around

Many times forgetting to reload before a firefight, ending up paying for that.

Most of the stupidest death's i've had from various Doom 3 mods (including original game) would be the grenades. Tossed, bounced back and boomala.

As for original Doom, lost souls. Especially taking out two hellknights a few cacodemons and outta nowhere, get butted by one with a deathblow from behind. *sigh*

The only trap that I can really say was "bullshit" that I've ever fell for... well it wasn't even an intended trap at all.

Anyone that has watched (suffered) through my Let's Play run of Alien Vendetta so far, remembers my arch-vile jump through a window, thinking it was the hidden secret exit of the level.

Yeah that worked out well...

Super Jamie said:

The end of MAP06? It's a teleporter to a room where you telefrag a Romero Head (to end the level) and barrels (to ensure player death, hence Pistol start in the next map). They're all through the Scythe series but we probably should have mentioned it in the text file, sorry :/

My bad. I meant E1M4 of 2002 A Doom Odyssey.

I love it when I'm close to a large monster (Cyber, Manc, etc) and the death sprites of the large monster hide the incoming projectiles from another monster behind it.

The worst death EVER is on a level like E2M8: you die because a Lost Soul flies through the exploding (dying) Cyber and kills you before the level ends.

Lutz said:

I love it when I'm close to a large monster (Cyber, Manc, etc) and the death sprites of the large monster hide the incoming projectiles from another monster behind it.

Oh yeah, that always seems to get me. It's the worst with revenant missiles.

I hate it when I'm unarmored, have exactly 80HP, and I'm one on one with a lone revenant. It's almost a 50% chance of an insta-death if it performs its "quick retaliation".

Also, when you are unarmored and you JUST HAPPEN to get a streak of maximum damage from various monsters: -45 HP from a shotgunner, -24 HP from an imp, -30 from two random zombies...and you are practically dead. It also reminds you how frail Doomguy really is.

Whenever the random number generator wants to rape me. Like when a shotgunner hits all three pellets at some stupid range or your hazmat suit decides to leak when you have less than 20 HP or like Maes said whenever monsters decide to max out their attack damage.

Whenever an Archvile shoots me up to a spot where I shouldn't be and can't escape. Nothing special, but I always wonder why AVs blasts shoots you up so high in ZDoom.

Nevan said:

Whenever an Archvile shoots me up to a spot where I shouldn't be and can't escape. Nothing special, but I always wonder why AVs blasts shoots you up so high in ZDoom.

Speaking of which, being caught in an "archvile flight" with invuln on. one you can't out-maneuver from. It would be fun, if you didn't know that as soon as the invuln wears off you're dead meat and your gibs will land in some random place.

Anything involving the much nastier Cyberdemon-class monsters in the Scoredoom add-on pack, especially in tight corridors, for cheapest deaths.

For the dumbest (and quickest) way to die in Scoredoom, using the BFG's altfire when you're too close to a pack of enemies.

Another thing I thought of: Being unexpectedly telefraged by any monster. It's happened to me a couple times I always find it extremely frustrating especially sense I have the terrible habit of only saving my game once every six months when the thought hits me.

EDIT : In response to Super Jamie's image: That has been one of the things that would immediately get me to stop playing any game.

Speaking of Scoredoom, there's also getting wasted by a terminator in the add-on pack for a possible contender for cheapest death. (he hasn't lost any power since his hitpoints was lowered for the Hell Knight and Baron of Hell versions, both of which having 1,500 and 2,500 hitpoints respectively)

That's what happens when you make a monster like him lose his boss status to turn him into a "normal-ass" (albiet still high-level) enemy.

Playing revbfeld.wad (currently sitting in /newstuff) in prboom+ using -solo-net and getting spawn camped by revenants:

(screenshot gifs ftw)

Running into Mancubus fireballs when sub-consciously thinking the shots will be directly at you, and forgetting you have partial invisibility.
Map07, I'm looking at you.

1)An archvile attacks you.

2)"I know," you think to yourself. "I will take cover behind that narrow pillar over there."

3)You think yourself very clever and skilful for being able to hide behind such a narrow pillar.

4)The archvile flames disappear as you successfully make it to the pillar in time.

5)In your haste to get to said pillar however, you strafe slightly too far the other side of the pillar.

6)After disappearing for a moment, the archvile flames reappear just in time for you get hit with an archvile blast.

7)You are reminded once again why you should save regularly.

Kyka said:

1)An archvile attacks you.

2)"I know," you think to yourself. "I will take cover behind that narrow pillar over there."

3)You think yourself very clever and skilful for being able to hide behind such a narrow pillar.

4)The archvile flames disappear as you successfully make it to the pillar in time.

5)In your haste to get to said pillar however, you strafe slightly too far the other side of the pillar.

6)After disappearing for a moment, the archvile flames reappear just in time for you get hit with an archvile blast.

7)You are reminded once again why you should save regularly.

Oh man, I just had the greatest idea for a Archvile fight:

A room dotted with pillars, Archie in the middle. BUT, only 2 or 3 pillars actually protect you, the rest are triggered to rise into the ceiling and leave you out in the open.

Is this awesome? Y/N

You can make the "pillars" be just middle textures with impassible linedefs, so they LOOK like they are there, they LOOK protective but you are fucked just as if they weren't there.

Maes said:

You can make the "pillars" be just middle textures with impassible linedefs, so they LOOK like they are there, they LOOK protective but you are fucked just as if they weren't there.

That's some screwed up stuff right there. It kind of reminds me of the fake floors in Castlevania 2; there's no logic behind it.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Any time a damn door insta-closes in front of me when I am in the process of sending rockets through it.

This. And everything else involving rocket launchers.

Such as safely sniping something by firing around into a corner.

bimlanders said:

That's some screwed up stuff right there. It kind of reminds me of the fake floors in Castlevania 2; there's no logic behind it.

The logic is: get used to cheap deaths.

See : UAC Ultra Map11.

(I actually like the mapset and, yes, even that map, but man, that map is big in cheap death potential.)

happened just yesterday... i was wandering a around in an supposedly "clean" area with only 10% health left, looking for something. it turned out that I had forgotten about a revenant. this bastard somehow sneaked up behind of me without making any sound or trying to shoot.
The last thing I heard was his punch ; )

Oh... and here's another classic.
Just grabbed a megasphere and you feel almost invincible.... then you walk into an open area with 25 revenants. no place to hide and no pillars to get rid of the revenants missiles.
...a few minutes later. you did excellent... circlestrafed like hell, killed almost all of them and didn't take a single hit.... but there is still this "one" Missile following you that is actually about 70 missiles "merged" into one.
...you know the ending ; )