Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

no MIDI

well i finally got a sound card for my older system. had to upgrade the motherboard, even though i did want to keep useing the 486. needed a motherboard with PCI. well now i got a 166. so after i install the DOS drivers i try to get my games to play music. sadly none of them work. so now i got to go into the setup porgram and try to find what needs changed. it has been a while sence i have had to deal with a advanced soundcard in DOS. any sudgestins as to whats wrong.

now i miss the 486, not only was it good but it had a better video card. i was useing a SVGA VESA card that kicked ass for DOS games. now i am stuck with a plain SVGA ISA card which is horrible. game colors are not so bright and pretty. doom looks fine, but games like rott and duke3d not look so hot on it. funny thing is that ROTT runs slow on the card

I think you need to set IRQ and everything properly. Find the Set Blaster line or somehting. God, I thought I would never have to struggle to remember all that shit again..

well i played with it last night and still cant get it to work. frst i would get music to work but then not any sound or the music quality was horrible. it is a good card, and is really better than what i need. now i am going to try and find a different driver

first that is my DOS system, i have about 4 working computers floating around but i only use 2. as for the card it is a AOPEN aw200. i had it installed on another system. it worked good on it but now i installed it on this DOS system and i cant get it to work

first that is my DOS system, i have about 4 working computers floating around but i only use 2. as for the card it is a AOPEN aw200. i had it installed on another system. it worked good on it but now i installed it on this DOS system and i cant get it to work

Aha. Well, it's a PCI card, and PCI cards aren't supposed to work with DOS at all, even if they claim to work and have DOS drivers, it's still not certain. Even SBLive, which is supposed to give very good backwards compatibility with SB16 in DOS mode, doesn't always work, and when it works, it doesn't work with all games...

So consider any sound/music you get from your card in DOS games as pure luck.

If you want to setup a good old system for DOS games, get an ISA card, like one of Creative SB cards (SB16,AWE) or some old ESS card...

heh, my computer's been mute since before I wnet on holiday. But my parents are getting fixed for me plus 64>256MB RAM for my birthday in a coupla weeks.

hmm PCI card not working in DOS, I have some older ISA shit. however i can never find any drivers. i have an ESS and a rockwell card(RWA010)

You should know about all the problems I have with my computer, heh.

I have more. Trust me.

Well, yeah, it's not that bad. Like, random reboots... :P

I've had this SC three years and have no gripes about it...go figure.

hmm PCI card not working in DOS, I have some older ISA shit. however i can never find any drivers. i have an ESS and a rockwell card(RWA010)

ESS ISA cards usually don't need any drivers. From my experience with them (and I have one myself), they get detected by all DOS games, as perfect Sound Blaster (Pro or 16) clones, without any drivers, provided that you have the BLASTER environment variable set to point the correct address/IRQ/DMA.

I have no problems with my comp. Seriously.

Neither does me.

Except that it is too slow to run MAME.