Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malinku

Void Terra Firma (VTF)

Screenshots look good and I think I'll have some time tomorrow to beta test it.

I quite liked this first map, nice visuals and pretty good gameplay. Kinda on the tough side with all the hitscanners but pretty good difficulty. I didnt like the music though, pretty bland and boring. I noticed that the blue doors close really fast if u open them which is kinda annoying when u need to keep opening the door. Apart from that keep it up, seems promising ;)

I forgot to change the delay on those doors. (shift+D Defaults :|)
I'll change it to a delay of 10 to make it less annoying.

The music chose was based on the setting I was trying to convey and I think it fits well for that.

Malinku said:

VTF is going to be a single player megawad for zdoom (udmf).
Features:
no custom monsters or weapons
custom textures made by nick baker and cage
maps will support jumping (but not crouching)
minimal scripting (as I want to keep the gameplay simple)

The only question is, if you want to use minimal scripting and keep the gameplay simple, as well as using no custom monsters or weapons, why then limit yourself to making this for ZDoom only?

I think it would make more sense to map for Boom, or even just limit removing, which would give your map a wider audience, (and which would inclued ZDoom by default anyway)

That said, I really like the look of this map, both from this screenie and the few others I have seen over on the 'Post your Doom pictures' thread.

Normally I would happily playtest this, but my compy is currently DOA, and isn't doing anything very useful. :(

All the best for this project tho. Definite potential.

This map started as the first map for a umdf format community project I was going to run (why its zdoom only).

I know that making it for boom it will get more exposer but it would also take me twice as long to finish.

The real reason I'm making it for zdoom is that I don't enjoy making complex boom maps (vodoo dolls, tons of teleporting sectors) and I'm going use a few zdoom only lumps (mapinfo,...).

The reason I'm keeping out custom monsters is that there are monster randomizers/adders out there that you can use. I changed my mind on custom weapons, I'm going to add a new shotgun and pistol. (if I can find good ones that don't have reloading)

Play it last night and enjoyed it very much even through it felt a bit big for a first map in a megawad(took me 15 minutes to beat it on my first try). Potentially this could be an excellent megawad if you keep making nice large nonlinear maps like that :)

Checked it out on UV on zdoom2.5.0 and it seems pretty solid to me.
The only thing I noticed is the doors leading to the bridge do not have repeatable action property flagged.

Edit : Lines 3737, 3742, 5416
Only mentioning it because I don't see why it would be deliberate... >_>

Macro11_1 said:

Checked it out on UV on zdoom2.5.0 and it seems pretty solid to me.
The only thing I noticed is the doors leading to the bridge do not have repeatable action property flagged.

Edit : Lines 3737, 3742, 5416
Only mentioning it because I don't see why it would be deliberate... >_>

The first door you are talking about is supposed to be opened by a switch (removed the action . the second door set to stay open and close when you walk through the door after the bridge.

Oh ok, weird... All I remember is falling off the bridge and having to no clip because I couldnt get through the door again. :|