Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AlexMax

How does light transfer specials work?

I've been mapping for years now, can't believe that I haven't run into this yet.

Anyway, for a map I'm making, I want to use the Hexen sector special 65, which does a "Sector flicker" effect. However, I vaguely remember something about how Doom transfers light specials between sectors under certain circumstances to be "in sync", and I do not want that to happen between any of my flickering lights.

First off, am I imagining things? Second off, if I'm not imagining things, what do I need to avoid to ensure that my sectors do not "sync" in their flickering?

Transfer Ceiling Light and Transfer Floor Light do exactly what they say they do. You have a sector with one of the one-sided linedefs using either of these with a tag. The special looks at the light level of the sector it's in, and sets the tagged sector's light level accordingly. If transferred to a sector with a flashing light level, then the behavior should be the same. The floor or ceiling of the source sector, depending on which special was used, will always override the light level of the tagged sector.

I'm not sure what you're talking about this sector special, though. If the flickering is, by default, out-of-sync with other sectors using the special, Transfer Light specials should not interfere with that. They just cover up the effects, as far as I know.

Also, to be safe, what port are you using this with? Experience tells me that ZDoom sometimes does things differently than it's children or Hexen does.

Edit: Oops, disregard this. It's amazing how one letter totally made me misunderstand that.

If you say 'Hexen' it'd imply the presence of ACS. For synchronized light effects across multiple sectors it's often better to use a script than to rely on the stock light effects from Doom.

Graf Zahl said:

If you say 'Hexen' it'd imply the presence of ACS. For synchronized light effects across multiple sectors it's often better to use a script than to rely on the stock light effects from Doom.

I wanted to ensure that they did not sync by accident due to sector numbers or somesuch. According to Ghostly, as long as they're not physically touching each other, I'm okay.