Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Door issues

I'm trying to build a door in my pwad. All it does is jerk upward a few pixels, wait, and jerk back down. It doesn't actually open. When this happens, what do I need to look for? As far as I know I've got the basic structure of a door in place: ceiling height is at floor height, upper textures selected for both sides of the door, door linedefs facing out, track texture on sides with lower unpegged. I'd appreciate any insight.

(It's not my first door and I've tried rebuilding it several times. It continues to behave this way.)

You've got an adjacent sector with a ceiling only a few unit's higher than the door's ceiling; door's raise to 4 unit's below the nearest adjacent ceiling.

Aha. I looked at my map again and I see what you're saying. I have a large open area in which I have buildings, and therefore walls made of sectors with matching floor/ceiling heights. I simply switched the adjacent walls from being "glued to the floor" to being "glued to the ceiling" and the door now works.

Wouldn't it make more sense to delete those sectors, thus making them solid walls? Unless you're going for a certain effect (like having a solid wall with two different textures stacked on top of each other), it's not good practice making solid non-changing objects out of sectors where the ceiling meets the floor.

I agree that if the spaces occupied by these sectors are not serving some function in the map, they could be deleted with no ill effects.

The door problem could also be fixed (if I've fully understood the OP's question, that is) by simply widening the distance between the intended door and the interfering ceiling bits (I think).