Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mimicry_ocelot

can't play a wad with custom sound effects

I used XWE to take the sound effects from the console version of Doom then inserted those sounds into a doom2.wad. I tried to run the game with the altered wad file and got an error message which says something like,

I_error says:

Bad Sample type, sample pistol ( number 1 )

what am I doing wrong and is there any way around this?

Which console version are the sounds from and what port were you trying to play them through?

I got the PSX sounds from a mod for PC Doom 1 called "southern cross" sc.wad.

What am I trying to play them through, well I'm not actually sure, it's Doom II I'm trying to play with the new sounds, the executable of the game is "doom95.exe". version: 3.0.0.0 Don't know about the versions or anything.

On doom95 it lets you pick a custom wad file to use, but I get the error message when I try to start the game with the new sounds.

Must have something to do with the way you imported the sounds. Having grabbed a copy of sc.wad from the archive, I tried a different approach - stripping out all but the sound samples from the wad - and had no problem running it with Doom95.

Does that mean you were able to play Doom II levels with the new sounds or just the southern cross maps? and what tool did you use to do the stripping out of the wad?

I used XWE to strip down the wad and was playing the Doom and Doom2 IWADs with sc.wad providing sound effects. If you want to load sc.wad AND some maps I'd suggest you check out a few source ports and loaders, since apart from Doom95's front end not letting you load more than one PWAD at once - it won't run dehacked patches or sprite replacements.