Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aldaraia

Wads with innovative gameplay

After playing so many Doom levels with the same (but great) gameplay of killing monsters, hitting switches, and running like hell towards the exit, I've grown hungry for a break. Not from Doom, but just the same gameplay, at least for a while. I found wads like Cyberdreams, Turbocharged Arcade demo, others that I can't remember, and to an extent, Void, to be a breath of fresh air.

Seeing the flexibility the Doom engine and its source ports has to offer, I'm sure many other people have used their imaginations to create something beyond the ordinary gauntlet. What are some recommendations for wads offering innovation in gameplay? I'm sure this thread would be a decent place to share and discover ideas that come from outside of the box.

RTC 3057 is well worth a look.

Did they ever make more than the one hub for it does anyone know?

I really liked Doomworld Forums Adventures.

I'll second Cyber Dreams as well as I remember it being a very fun and different experience.

AgentSpork said:

There was also this one cool Doom racing thing that was being worked on a while back that I seem to have forgotten the name of. I remember it having a ROTT-themed track.

Zoom, sounds like. I really hate that it was canceled -- it was a really cool wad from what I saw of it.

DooMAD said:

SRB2, although it might be a little too distant from regular Doom gameplay.

This doom "wad" is called "Sonic Robo Blast 2". It is a really enjoyable game! No one mentioned that we have a problem now, because there already exists a Super Sonic Doom wad [just kidding :-P]... I played all of the Sonic 2D games and I really like, what I see.

Massmouth 2 was very innovative. I admire a lot of Cyb's work because he really knows how to set a mood and make things work.

Well, I guess that you can check Cheogsh 1 & 2 (since there are non-standard Doom monsters), Cold as Hell, as well as Caverns of Darkness (with ZDoom patch), WolfenDoom...

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Fragport is pretty interesting to play. Some of the maps are just bad but overall it holds up well, I think.