Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sharessa

Pink Floyd

Hey, I thought of something new and creative...
What is your favorite Pink Floyd album?

Where the hell are:

A collection of great dance songs?

The Division Bell?

The Final Cut?

Animals?

Piper at the gates of dawn?

Ummagumma?

Echoes: the best of Pink Floyd?

Saucerful of secrets?

A momentary lapse of reason?

Well, not just better than aqua, better than almost any band....

Although they started to suck somewhere in the eighties, and suck more and more since then. Right now it's just a pile of old crap, that isn't even steamy anymore.

/me fails to see the difference...

There is a HELL of a difference between Danes and Swedes mate.
There's a difference in words, grammar and a huge difference in pronounciation too ('a', for instance, is pronounced vastly different).
Oh yeah, and Sweden is a big country with mountains, while Denmark is a small, boring, flat country.

A comparable level of difference can be seen between the United States and Canada. Certainly, both contain very similar elements, like sports commentators. However, did you know that Canada only has eight working ballpoint pens? On top of that, the word "beer" is pronounced astonishingly different, resulting in an extra .3 second process time before an American realizes what the Canadian just said.

That, and they get all ancy when you tread on their hockey. I have no idea what that's all aboot, hoser.

DC

A comparable level of difference can be seen between the United States and Canada. Certainly, both contain very similar elements, like sports commentators. However, did you know that Canada only has eight working ballpoint pens? On top of that, the word "beer" is pronounced astonishingly different, resulting in an extra .3 second process time before an American realizes what the Canadian just said.
DC

I take it that Canadian English is just an independently evolved dialect of English, just as American English is an independently evolved dialect of British English.

Well, dialects have a tendency to invent new words. I mean look at esco's posts. He's a New Yorker if memory serves me correctly, and thus American. But none of the other American dudes on this board use the word "dawg". One thing's fer sure: I've never heard that word before, and I don't know it's exact meaning (my guess is that it means something like "pal", "buddy" or the like.

Yes, dialects are like different languages, which have a lot of similarities.
I've also once listened to a Scottish dialect - my first impression was that the person on the tape spoke a kind of enormously distorted Swedish, but it WAS an English dialect nonetheless.

English dialects are funny. I can speak over 100 of them, but Dan-ish is the one I speak the most. Its basicaly a scholary version of English with some l33t, some British, some planar chant, and a lot of other crap. There are even a few new words in there too.

[quote

DC

I take it that Canadian English is just an independently evolved dialect of English, just as American English is an independently evolved dialect of British English.

All I know is that words like "hoser", "aboot", and "eh" sure weren't developed down here. [/quote]YOU WILL ALL DIE!
We haven't said "Hoser" since the 70's, no one says "Aboot" here, and we say "huh" much more than "eh?"

...Except for Newfies

goddamn, i hate the canadian steriotype.

And I love playing off of it because when I do, I'm being completely jestful, yet somehow, I always manage to anger at least one, and an angry Canadian is a funny Canadian.

DC

Well, 'eh' is used quite a lot in Britain as far as I know. I've heard a number of times when I went to England on holiday.
But I must say that I don't know much about American or Canadian dialects, since I'm more interested in British English right now.
Btw sleepy_boy: I know that you don't use these words in Canada anymore, but what does "hoser" and "aboot" mean?

Yeah I know it's not Pink Floyd really but it is a master piece and Syd is the one who really was the Spiritual Essence of the Floyd.They've released some excellent albums since of course but they don't quite have the depth and soul of Syd's earlier input.Shame,'The Light that Burns Twice as Bright, Burns for Half as Long!'Or in his case a mere fraction..

Btw sleepy_boy: I know that you don't use these words in Canada anymore, but what does "hoser" and "aboot" mean?

ho·ser (hoz'er)
n. Canadian Slang
A clumsy, boorish person, especially an uncouth, beer-drinking man.

from dictionary.com

Aboot:

Newfie word for "about"

Aboot:

Newfie word for "about"

Hmm, I more or less figured that but I preferred to have it confirmed by someone who knows.
Okydokey, thanks sleepy :-)