Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jukenukem4d

===VILE FURY=== now available for download. By JUKENUKEM.

Six EXCELLENT maps for Doom 2, ranging from Romero-esque E1MX levels to very unique hellish levels, ending in an exhilarating and intense battle
with a new boss monster, created by me in DECORATE.

A sure contender for best WAD of the year, and surely one of the best WADs ever made. The critics agree: Vile Fury is an imp-squashing, cyberdemon-smoking masterpiece.

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/vilefury.zip

I hope you like it. Replaces stage 01 to stage 06.

When linking to files in the archive, it's recommended that you -

OR
  • Link to the wad's database entry (once it's available)
I'll check out the wad later tonight.

I'm greatly disappointed. I was expecting to see something horribly, horribly bad but what I got was an actually decent beginner mapset.

I got stuck on the second map. When the second door closed, I was on the outside on that winding bridge- wasn't able to get back in.

Jodwin said:

I'm greatly disappointed. I was expecting to see something horribly, horribly bad but what I got was an actually decent beginner mapset.

Long live great disappointment...

zZaRDoZz said:

I got stuck on the second map. When the second door closed, I was on the outside on that winding bridge- wasn't able to get back in.

Just walk away then walk back up to it. It definitely re-opens. Just tested it. :p

I was able to open that door from the outside twice on a second run through. After going back for the second health in front of the door, it locked up again. I'll try to replicate it a third time.

Whoaaa, okay. Good find. Thanks for pointing that out. Basically there's a bunch of linedefs with Walk Once specified in front of the door that all get used up after you open it two times from that side. I uploaded an updated WAD to the archives. Anyone with the older version can just use IDCLIP or not exit the room after the bridge. :p

Wow for a bunch of bland looking maps these are actually fun to play. Even the DECORATE cyberdemon was very neat.

I've been won over by your modesty so I'll give this a shot.

The first 4 levels or so I found to be rather bland, Architech-ly... Other wise the onster choices and mix ups were rather fun to go up against with! Personally, the last two levels now (Mostly 5) were my favorites out of the whole grouping. I just admire the flesh textures so much. The sixth and final level was intersting too the fact that you only used like what, two textures? Blood and Bloodfalls? And those Boss Cybers... I thought they were just normal Cyber Demons, untill Mancubi and Hell Knight balls began to fly with the rockets. I eventually just avoided them and ran for the key after a couple hundred deaths.

And on another note of the level itself, Map 1, I really liked that destroyed door. Don't know why, I just do.

It's ugly in many places and very basic, but the gameplay is alright. It's OK.

Ok so this is what I thought,
Architecturally it aint that pretty but then neither was Doom 2 and I dont think many people will play this expecting stunning vistas, the gameplay was fast paced and whilst not exactly hard provided a decent level of challenge which is unusual in a beginner map, overall this was impressive and kept me entertained for a good 15 minutes (before I finished it).

I'm going to join the bandwagon here: Not bad, but quite average. There were some points in the gameplay that were fun, but a lot of it felt generic and a tad dull.

I thought the gameplay was pretty good. I was never too troubled for ammo and health. The first couple maps had some good layouts and the gameplay was pretty inspirational, but it kinda died out by MAP03 when you gave the player a bfg and tons of ammo so you were entitled to throw anything at the player which was kinda lame.

The first post was definitely really pretentious though. I'm gonna second magicsofa's comment. I'm not unsatisfied with my download though.

Trueeeee. Although since the WAD is pretty short, giving the player the BFG and throwing stuff at him (or her... yeah, right) could probably be excused. Wouldn't do it half way through a megaWAD, for sure. :P

Anyway I think you gise should have a peek at the TAB map of MAP05. You'll get quite a surprise. :o

Well, it is a decent mapset from a beginner. I kind of liked map 04 and 05 (BTW is it an uterus that I have seen at the automap?).
The keys were mostly pointless as you almost ever grab the key before you even see the respective door... I guess it is conceptual...

My main complaint is thus the linearity.

It might be. =P

The linear-ness is just my style! I hate looking for where to go next. I guess I could've thrown in a few more backtracking bits with surprises.

Anyone know when the "/newstuff" front page thing will be updated? It's been aaaaages. Or do they just want to keep it on number three-hundred and sixty-nine as long as possible? ;-;

I just have to compliment myself on what a great job I did with this mapset. Each map in this WAD has its own personality. Like, MAP01 has the broken door at the start and the flooded corridor. MAP02 has the winding bridge and nukage corridors. MAP03 has the office building with the arch-vile on the table and the volcano. MAP04 is just another hellish slaughter-map. MAP05 is a giant uterus that needs to be cleared out. MAP06 is a blood-soaked stadium with unique bosses... Stuff you won't find in any other WAD.

I'm reminded of an ancient Roman custom, where the conquering hero (while leading his victory parade through the streets of Rome) has a slave on his chariot who's job it is to whisper repeatedly in his ear "you're a man, not a god". :P