Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Eponasoft

mycastle.wad ... early version

OK so this is the first version of my DOOM 2 "megawad"... I haven't worked on it in quite awhile now... it was done in yadex for freebsd a number of months ago but never finished. There are plenty of problems with it, mainly texture-related, but it's pretty playable so far. MAP01 isn't finished, but MAP02, MAP03, MAP04, and MAP30 all work. There are quite a few custom textures, and a number of DECORATE monsters and weapons. Vavoom is the recommended engine, as this relies heavily on lights (especially in MAP03) and DECORATE. A few screenshots...

MAP01 is supposed to be a village that has a path leading into a castle. Well, the village is started but not finished, and there's no castle just yet. :)

At least the underground portion of the castle is working, and this is one part of it. This particular map was the second one I ever made, and has expanded a lot from its original version.

This is the start of MAP03. Note the heavy use of lights. This map also has two new weapons in it which I got from one of those weapon packs awhile ago... not sure which one anymore. This is probably the best level out of them all, but it's not quite finished yet... there are plenty of things left to add.

MAP04. There are a lot of texture issues on this map and it's a very short level that is still under heavy construction.

MAP30 is something of an onslaught map. It probably needs some details added and some tweaking.

I didn't upload this to newstuff or anything, just posting about it here with the download:

http://www.eponasoft.com/mycastle.7z

I should also note that it uses an entirely new soundtrack; no DOOM tunes are reused here. and don't mind the title image... I just threw that in for the hell of it. :)

Comments appreciated.

89 views and no comments? :) I guess it's either not bad and not good at the same time... :D Well, that's a good sign at least... but anyways, I'm going to start working on this again today during my newborn's naps.

It just needs much more work, hard to comment on it in this current state.

I like the idea and the screenshots look decent. I'll have to check it out later once I get some music related stuff done.

The shots look promising, last shots Sky, I see corners... I'd recommend making the sky sector "circular" from showing the corners.
But as said, promising.

OK I've gotten back to work on this now, using Doom Builder 1.68. Presently concentrating on MAP01, since it needs the most work and is the only replacement level that is unfinishable in the prototype. Making the huge castle is going to be a real blast... I love making buildings to explore.

Oh, and I know that this wad most certainly isn't gonna win any awards :) and it won't challenge the hardcore players who are looking for a slaughterfest... it's intended for players who just like to play through wads with a great deal of mood, theme, and cohesion.

Just one more screenshot for now... this is from the work I've been doing to MAP01.

Wanted to create the image of a dark and dreary castle that is both mysterious and frightening... hope it works out in the end.

Well, I hope to not disappoint on this one. :)

I've been working on it some more over the past couple of days, and have pretty much stuck with the Vavoom engine... I don't know if any other engines will support it but that's what I'm developing it for. For now, I'm not using any Vavoom-specific data as far as I know... mapinfo.lmp is based on zdoom specs, but I don't know enough about the various engines to say whether or not it will work in so and so engine. I can say right now though that any engine that doesn't support dynamic lights won't have much luck, and any engine that doesn't support DECORATE won't be able to run it very much at all. Another important detail is jumping and freelook... jumping is absolutely required on many maps.

When it's done with, this will be 35 maps in total... I've already got MAP01 thru MAP06 running, plus MAP30. MAP33 is in progress right now, and it uses some pretty different mechanics than usual... the gravity is much different in the map and everything is based around that. Also, the maps are not going to be designed to be huge... I have a preference for maps that are about 5-10 minutes long, so that's what I'm shooting for (pun unintentional).

And for the record, I am NOT gonna use the MAP07 thing. :)

OK I've now tried this in zdoom and gzdoom... it runs in both but zdoom has major lighting issues, so it's almost unplayable. gzdoom I figured would feature lighting similar to Vavoom, but perhaps it relies on "proper" opengl to work, and this computer's opengl support is pretty ancient... lights don't work in software mode either though so perhaps it's a Vavoom-specific thing? Or does anyone know of any other engines that have the same sort of light support? Eternity, maybe? I don't know... I'll keep trying engines out. :)

EDIT: EDGE has dynamic lighting that works, but slows down a lot and has no DECORATE support, has issues with world edges, and doesn't seem to fully support MAPINFO. It also doesn't play the music.

EDIT2: Doomsday looked promising but has major issues just RUNNING here... tons of graphic shearing that only gets worse with each successive run, so I couldn't even tell if the lights worked... oh well, it was worth a try.

Eponasoft said:

OK I've now tried this in zdoom and gzdoom... it runs in both but zdoom has major lighting issues, so it's almost unplayable. gzdoom I figured would feature lighting similar to Vavoom, but perhaps it relies on "proper" opengl to work, and this computer's opengl support is pretty ancient... lights don't work in software mode either though so perhaps it's a Vavoom-specific thing?

gzdoom software renderer=zdoom renderer. Lights work only in OpenGL mode.

OK that's good to know. I still wonder why the lights didn't actually work with the opengl renderer though... oh well... everything else seems to work just fine.

OK I've been working for the past week on this and want to share the progress, if anyone is interested. MAP01 is finishable now, but I don't think the path to the finish is the one I'm going to keep. MAP05 and MAP06 have been added as well, and MAP33 is also included, which is the real reason for me posting this. The basic architecture of MAP33 is complete but it still needs more to it. Here's a couple of screenshots of the work in progress:

The link is the same as in the first post of this thread.

MAP33 is normally reachable from MAP01, but this only works in source ports which fully support MAPINFO. As before, Vavoom is the intended port. It will also run in GZDoom, though not quite as well. Other source ports don't have support for all of its features.

I'm really interested in feedback for MAP33... it's my longest map to date. It probably isn't the hardest map you've ever played (probably downright easy for the most part) but it will either be fun or frustrating, and speedrunners will lament my mother. :) The basic architecture for the map is done; I still have to add more detail to it but the path to the finish is complete. What I especially wanna know is if anyone can complete it without using noclip. :)

Just tested with Risen3D... promising at first, with better MAPINFO support... but fails to support gravity changes and custom lights, which are very important to this pwad... so unfortunately, this port too gets marked as "incompatible".

EDIT: OK, it's because it doesn't have DECORATE support. So yep... definitely "incompatible".