Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

PWADs: Lost & Found

Ever happened to play a level/mapset/megawad, recalling it just based on a few things you liked, but not being able to pin down the actual title/filename/date? Or just not being able to retrace the history of an obscure level?

Pretty much like that ongoing "have you seen this megawad" link in somebody's sig.

So I thought we could, like, post our "lost memories" here and see if we can help each other..

OK, so here are two things, a map and a megawad that have been on my mind lately but just can't recall their names:

• One was a Doom 2 map (I recall a chaingunner) whose most distinctive feature was having a sort of open-ceiling inner courtyard in the mid of some building blocks, and in the courtyard there was a bench and a very convincing streetlight near that bench).
  • The other was a megawad (Doom 1? Doom 2? Probably for Doom 1 without being too sure) with a very good surreal tech theme, which culminated on E1M8 (?) with a weird blue floating cube, and in general had a very cool use of polyobects).
Since I played those back in 1996 and they both came from a shoveware levels PWAD CD, they can't be older than tηat (or even older than 1995).

I remember a level I played a long time ago that probably came from a D!Zone CD. I remember the story description was something like "You and your buddy were in a bar trading war stories. Suddenly you got knocked out, then when you woke up, your buddy was dead behind you and everything was all hellish."

The level started you in a room with some floating computers, and the exit was presented right down the stairs from you, but you were expected to go kill all the demons to "avenge your slain buddy".

There was some huge city level that had an OBSCENE amount of monsters, but was fun as fuck. I haven't been able to find it for over two years :(

I remember some outdoor Doom 2 level with huge, tall, animated red portals with tons of monsters teleporting out of it. At the center of the map was some sort of aztec pyramid looking structure, and most of the ground outside of it was lava.

Maes said:

and in general had a very cool use of polyobects).

Since I played those back in 1996 and they both came from a shoveware levels PWAD CD, they can't be older than taht (or even older than 1995).

Surely you meant "they must be at least as old"? And either the second WAD had a very cool use of polyobjects, or you played it back in 1996. :P

Phml said:

I remember some outdoor Doom 2 level with huge, tall, animated red portals with tons of monsters teleporting out of it. At the center of the map was some sort of aztec pyramid looking structure, and most of the ground outside of it was lava.

That sounds a lot like Titan.There is also a sequel,Titan 2.Just do a search at /idstuff,at titles,keyword "titan".

One wad I do remember but don't recall where I've found it at was a vanilla slaughter map for Doom2 that had most textures replace with black and white colors. I don't remember much of the map besides that it had 3 cyberdemons in a black maze area(or was it white?) and an icon of sin boss at the end of the map. Also the name of it is call bw.wad.

killer2 said:

That sounds a lot like Titan.There is also a sequel,Titan 2.Just do a search at /idstuff,at titles,keyword "titan".

Yep, that's exactly it ! Thank you very much. :)

nvm, beaten to the punch. Titan 1 and 2 are stonking episodes, the first one was what got me into ZDoom. I hear there's a 1024 remake on the way...

Philnemba said:

One wad I do remember but don't recall where I've found it at was a vanilla slaughter map for Doom2 that had most textures replace with black and white colors. I don't remember much of the map besides that it had 3 cyberdemons in a black maze area(or was it white?) and an icon of sin boss at the end of the map. Also the name of it is call bw.wad.

That sounds like a wad by Virgil the Doom Poet (cool name, heh). You might have gotten it from his site back when he had it up.

Never_Again said:

Surely you meant "they must be at least as old"? And either the second WAD had a very cool use of polyobjects, or you played it back in 1996. :P

Well, actually I meant "At most as old" ;-)

And I played the second WAD in 1996, it was probably older than that (I recall it coming from either a Doomania shovelware CD, so that puts a cap in mid-1996) or some SIMTEL archive mirror CD (max. cap placed at late 1995-early 1996). AND it had a cool use of polyobjects :-p

The cyderdemon maze/romero head thing might be one "The Lord" levels (it had an Icon of Sin as early as MAP01).

Mr. Freeze said:

There was some huge city level that had an OBSCENE amount of monsters, but was fun as fuck. I haven't been able to find it for over two years :(

Was it an underground city or not? I think i may know this one.

A few years ago I played a wad which was insanely hard and populated. I discovered it when someone said in the idgames archives that it was one of the most populated wads there (in the comments of a difficult wad but I can't remember which one).
There were just Doom2 textures and it had few maps, while the last (or the first) was all the maps together in one huge fragfest. I believe it was like a sort of isle with underground buildings, arenas and perhaps few SS here and there.

At the time I just deleted this from my hard drive thinking it was a bunch of crap, but I'd like to give it a second shot.

Sadly I can't remember the title.

K!r4 said:

A few years ago I played a wad which was insanely hard and populated. I discovered it when someone said in the idgames archives that it was one of the most populated wads there (in the comments of a difficult wad but I can't remember which one).
There were just Doom2 textures and it had few maps, while the last (or the first) was all the maps together in one huge fragfest. I believe it was like a sort of isle with underground buildings, arenas and perhaps few SS here and there.

At the time I just deleted this from my hard drive thinking it was a bunch of crap, but I'd like to give it a second shot.

Sadly I can't remember the title.

Sounds like Holy Hell

Hmm, I recall a very nice wad I played earlier back like several years ago when I was new to the community. It was called Prison and had udoom's ending song music playing. It had a very nice atmosphere and was a decent challenge for me. Can't really find it on idgames.

Hell's Vendetta said:

Sounds like Holy Hell

Yes! May the great radioactive beaver give you a supersonic penis 'till the Deepwater Horizon kills us all!

Mr. Freeze said:

Kinda sounds like CoopBuild, don't know how old that one is though.

Maes said:

One was a Doom 2 map (I recall a chaingunner) whose most distinctive feature was having a sort of open-ceiling inner courtyard in the mid of some building blocks, and in the courtyard there was a bench and a very convincing streetlight near that bench).

Since I played those back in 1996 and they both came from a shoveware levels PWAD CD, they can't be older than taht (or even older than 1995).

Perhaps a dodgy Doom2 conversion of cortyr_b? No bench, but a very convincing streetlight.

Okay, here's one:

Before I had internet access, I would download wads from my high school library. A wad I downloaded was for vanilla Doom deathmatch, and it was set on a shoreline with one or two buildings, and you could enter the water via teleport. It would teleport you to a corresponding underwater part of the level, and have different entry points as to not ruin the illusion too much. The teleport sound was also replaced to have a splash effect, I guess to further fortify the underwater illusion. There was a dock, and when underwater, you would see it from the underside. Moving back up towards the shore would teleport you to the surface. It was a pretty small map.

Now, I seem to remember there were some custom sprites or textures which in retrospect meant that I was seeing custom textures that looked like sprites, or I was actually running a "limit-removing" wad with actual sprites under ZDoom or Legacy (those were the first two source ports I ever tried). I seem to remember these graphics resembling something out of one of those gore wads with modified decorations and player deaths, although my memory has never been very reliable at these sorts of things. :)

I probably downloaded this thing around 10 years ago. Anyone got any ideas what wad it was?

RjY said:

Perhaps a dodgy Doom2 conversion of cortyr_b? No bench, but a very convincing streetlight.

Hey, that actually might be it! Memory plays trick at times, and I got the same feeling as a kid who's finally granted a toy he's eyeballed through a store's window for some time....only to discover that he had idealized it a bit too much through imagination while he still hadn't got it.

Thanks anyway, the streetlight is definitively there, as is the courtyard, and an overhead view of the courtyard, just as I remember. The rest of the level is playable, though not as memorable. Pretty tough one too :-/

Hell's Vendetta said:

Was it an underground city or not? I think i may know this one.

If by "underground", you mean "no sky textures" then yes.

There was this one wad I used to play back in 95 that had you start off in a small outside room adjacent to an indoor room with a teleporter. This teleporter took you to a much bigger part of the map, which was in the shape of a giant star, with a star shaped building in the middle that you had to explore. Everything was covered in brovine2 and was tan and stuff. I don't remember the name at all and have never seen it since. Kinda sad cause I liked it.

There was some sort of shotgun replacement too that made it look like a peppergun, but that may or may not have been separate.

Mr. Freeze said:

If by "underground", you mean "no sky textures" then yes.

Did it have Super Metroid music? Did it give you plenty of ammunition at the start?

Maes said:

Hey, that actually might be it! Memory plays trick at times, and I got the same feeling as a kid who's finally granted a toy he's eyeballed through a store's window for some time....only to discover that he had idealized it a bit too much through imagination while he still hadn't got it.

Thanks anyway, the streetlight is definitively there, as is the courtyard, and an overhead view of the courtyard, just as I remember. The rest of the level is playable, though not as memorable. Pretty tough one too :-/

That is actually a very nice map. I first found out about it from an Ultimate Doom megawad compilation at Toasty-Tech.

EarthQuake said:

Okay, here's one:

Before I had internet access, I would download wads from my high school library. A wad I downloaded was for vanilla Doom deathmatch, and it was set on a shoreline with one or two buildings, and you could enter the water via teleport. It would teleport you to a corresponding underwater part of the level, and have different entry points as to not ruin the illusion too much. The teleport sound was also replaced to have a splash effect, I guess to further fortify the underwater illusion. There was a dock, and when underwater, you would see it from the underside. Moving back up towards the shore would teleport you to the surface. It was a pretty small map.

Now, I seem to remember there were some custom sprites or textures which in retrospect meant that I was seeing custom textures that looked like sprites, or I was actually running a "limit-removing" wad with actual sprites under ZDoom or Legacy (those were the first two source ports I ever tried). I seem to remember these graphics resembling something out of one of those gore wads with modified decorations and player deaths, although my memory has never been very reliable at these sorts of things. :)

I probably downloaded this thing around 10 years ago. Anyone got any ideas what wad it was?

Marina!

The wad has new sounds for when you enter the water, as well as new music, but it doesn't have any new graphics that I recall. However, this sounds too much like marina for it to be something else. Me and my father had fun duking it out on this one. =)

I think I've asked this one before and there was no luck that time... (though the other wad I inquired about was identified, REAL) maybe someone can help?

It was a pwad for doom2, and it started in an elevator with revenants (?) and it lowered to an outdoor area. You went into a building inside which were pictures of the cyberdemon of Doom2 titlescreen/boxart. The final level ended with a texture containing the author's thanks and a sprite of the spiderdemon. I think the wad was called wood isle, island or something. Very hazy on that regard though.

Would be very cool if this wad would be found, because it was the first PWAD I played.