Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Walkover ambush?

How do I teleport a monster in, triggered by doom guy walking over a linedef? I'm doing a map in jdoom.

If it's just a standard teleport ambush, just use the method used for Vanilla Doom; have a monster pen outside the map with the teleporte intially blocked. Then have the walk over trigger unblock said teleporter allowing monsters to enter it and teleport into the main map.

I'm not sure how to do this. Do I put a wall around the teleporter and have the walkover lower it? How do I get the monsters to actually walk over the teleporter linedef and enter the room the player is in, rather than stand there stupidly in their room because they can't see or hear the player? I don't want to use gun fire to get them moving.

audiodef said:

Do I put a wall around the teleporter and have the walkover lower it?

Correct.

audiodef said:

How do I get the monsters to actually walk over the teleporter linedef and enter the room the player is in, rather than stand there stupidly in their room because they can't see or hear the player? I don't want to use gun fire to get them moving.

This is one area of modding that Doomsday remains at Vanilla Doom level; you either have to fire a shot to, or it has to see you, to alert a bad guy.

That said, you can move (i.e push) a deaf bad guy over a teleporter line using a wind sector using XG; it will just not wake up at the destination unless one of the above has occured.

Here is an example of a wind XG sector type. For reference, 0 is east, 90 is south, 180 west and 270 north (naturally it can be any value, not just those).

Sector Type {
ID = 10000;
Flags = "stf_windany";
Wind angle = 0;
Wind speed = 0.75;
}

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm going to go over my map and see what fits. I may get around to doing extra stuff with zdoom someday...

A method I usually use is to create a very very thin hallyay/path between the area you want the monster to be alerted from, and to the portion outside of the map. You can over it up with an impassible line and a middle texture that hides it. You want to keep the hallway in a position where the player isn't likely to shoot through it though.

I think Doom E1M9 does this for the rocket launcher room.

40oz said:

A method I usually use is to create a very very thin hallyay/path between the area you want the monster to be alerted from, and to the portion outside of the map. You can over it up with an impassible line and a middle texture that hides it. You want to keep the hallway in a position where the player isn't likely to shoot through it though.

I think Doom E1M9 does this for the rocket launcher room.

Joining the monster box with a sector you're going to shoot is generally better though: You don't get the "tunnel" sector on your way while mapping, you can easily join the teleport box with the most likely sector you're going to shoot in, etc. Also the fact that if you meant doing boxes that work by sight, running too fast past or some other tricks can still potentially let you pass through without waking everyone up. Especially if the tunnels are really small.

If you want to have 100 % foolproof monster teleports, you have to either use gunshots that the player can not avoid doing (shootable switches), Boom conveyor belts with teleport-back-to-line-specials OR scripting. Everything else has a chance of failing, no matter what.

Jodwin said:

If you want to have 100 % foolproof monster teleports, you have to either use gunshots that the player can not avoid doing (shootable switches), Boom conveyor belts with teleport-back-to-line-specials OR scripting. Everything else has a chance of failing, no matter what.

There's another method you can do with high-health monsters: use a walk-over-triggered crusher to destroy a barrel, the explosion of which propels a monster into a teleporter. At least one KamaSutra map uses this trick, except it uses barrels to propel more barrels, creating a nasty trap.

Spleen said:

There's another method you can do with high-health monsters: use a walk-over-triggered crusher to destroy a barrel, the explosion of which propels a monster into a teleporter. At least one KamaSutra map uses this trick, except it uses barrels to propel more barrels, creating a nasty trap.

Unless the monster wakes up, that's not really foolproof either: Because something might be blocking the teleport destination, in which case the monster gets only one chance to teleport.

Spleen said:

At least one KamaSutra map uses this trick, except it uses barrels to propel more barrels, creating a nasty trap.

I like this idea a lot. What's a KamaSutra map?