Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiuHaka

Doom Ascension: My 3D Monsters, Items & Objects (Image Heavy)

NiuHaka said:

...The monsters will be created in this order:
Zombieman
Shotgun Guy
Imp
Demon
Baron of Hell
Cacodemon
Lost Soul
Cyberdemon
Spiderdemon

From this I assume this will only be for the original Doom right?

Regardless, this is awesome I can't wait to use them!

Wow, I love those models. I can't wait till you make some of the real monsters, but you will have imp ready sometime soon. :)
Good luck with this project and I hope you will continue it until it is done.

Amazing. 10/10. I've never seen anything, especially a model/models that look so accurate in comparison to the original sprites.

Shaviro said:

You should really make a high-poly/high-res version of these as well (for bumpmapping purposes) ;)
These would form the base of a nice DOOM TC for a new engine.
Great job though.

Ya, and maybe they would be good for making sprites from to, for anyone who likes them better.. Like the N64 version, models made to sprites, and though its pretty obvious how it was done, they dont look all blocky and ridged! lowering the resolution helps of course, but even on my hi rez doom 64 poster, the models still look fairly smooth!

If you manage to finish this project, this will really bolster Doom's graphic potential to a much more modern level.

Great job!

Shaviro said:

You should really make a high-poly/high-res version of these as well (for bumpmapping purposes) ;)

Whew! I already took off over a thousand triangles from the original model. Although I agree and think that normal map support would be super duper, normal maps would render my textures obsolete. I would have to change the way the textures looked in order to make them look right with normal maps. And This just sounds like a good way to make me bored and If that happens this project will die. I'll just keep it simple for now. Sometimes I even think that a 1024x1024 texture is too large because you can't really get close enough to see all the little things in these textures while playing Doom. I guess I'll find out during testing.

A.Gamma said:

From this I assume this will only be for the original Doom right?

You are right. This will only be for the original Doom. There are a several reasons for this. First being that I just like the original Doom more. Second being that I don't like the extra monsters in Doom 2 except for the Hell Knight. The last and most important reason is that there are some levels in Doom 2, mainly Icon of Sin, that would just be unplayable and I think it is VERY important that my models be playable in Vanilla Doom. To have them for moders would be very nice but that's not enough for me just yet.

ShaneAmp said:

Ya, and maybe they would be good for making sprites from to, for anyone who likes them better.. Like the N64 version, models made to sprites, and though its pretty obvious how it was done, they dont look all blocky and ridged! lowering the resolution helps of course, but even on my hi rez doom 64 poster, the models still look fairly smooth!

Sure! I think it would be quite hilarious to see someone turn these into sprites. I hope you mean to have them made into high res sprites because if not I think the vanilla sprites would still be better. Plus that is a lot of color tweaking to get the colors to look right. Whew man there are so many reasons why someone turning these 3d monsters into sprites would be hilarious. Oh man it is seeming more and more ridiculous the longer I think about it. Yup pretty sure vanilla doom sprites would look (EDIT: a LOT) better.

NiuHaka said:

Whew! I already took off over a thousand triangles from the original model. Although I agree and think that normal map support would be super duper, normal maps would render my textures obsolete. I would have to change the way the textures looked in order to make them look right with normal maps. And This just sounds like a good way to make me bored and If that happens this project will die. I'll just keep it simple for now. Sometimes I even think that a 1024x1024 texture is too large because you can't really get close enough to see all the little things in these textures while playing Doom. I guess I'll find out during testing.

The nice thing about not using normal maps is that the models will work with more source ports. :) Thank you. (I'm not even sure if any source ports support normal maps, but I'm sure many that support models don't.)

Spleen said:

The nice thing about not using normal maps is that the models will work with more source ports. :) Thank you. (I'm not even sure if any source ports support normal maps, but I'm sure many that support models don't.)

No source ports support normal maps and probably none of them will for some time if ever. I don't think enough moders would use them for anyone to find a way to make them work. personally I think wall textures would benefit from normals much more than 3D models.

Only Doom source port I know of that has had Normalmap support has so far been the Legacy2 beta. But that seems to be pretty dead.

NiuHaka said:

...turning these 3d monsters into sprites would be hilarious. Oh man it is seeming more and more ridiculous the longer I think about it. Yup pretty sure vanilla doom sprites would look (EDIT: a LOT) better.

Welcome to the DOOM community - where 3D models are widely disliked because of their very 3D-ness ;)

Normal mapping and associated techniques are among those that Doomsday 2.0 will support. Just don't ask me when that be.

DaniJ said:

Welcome to the DOOM community - where 3D models are widely disliked because of their very 3D-ness ;)

Normal mapping and associated techniques are among those that Doomsday 2.0 will support. Just don't ask me when that be.

I like models, these are looking good! I like the idea of some sprite remakes, but i know they would be a ton of work! The reason i say that about these models, is they look to have potential for sprites, remind me of doom 64's a little, other models ive seen dont seem to work for that..

DaniJ said:

Nah it's not so much that.

I'm more turned off by how sharp the models look, but how poorly they animate. First of all, the models, with their high polycount, and super high resolution skins, they ultimately look better than the environment around them. The models simply look far more advanced than the maps and the game engine they are being used in.

However, in contrast to that, they animate very poorly. The monsters look very boring and pessimistic when they walk and attack as if they are being forced to act instead of actually present a threat to the player. I'd totally prefer lame blocky models and pixelated skins that animated smooth and ecstatically over the ones that are already in the pack.

That said, the models in this thread, they look awesome, but honestly I have no interest in actually using them in doom.

40oz said:

Nah it's not so much that.

I'm more turned off by how sharp the models look, but how poorly they animate. First of all, the models, with their high polycount, and super high resolution skins, they ultimately look better than the environment around them. The models simply look far more advanced than the maps and the game engine they are being used in.

However, in contrast to that, they animate very poorly. The monsters look very boring and pessimistic when they walk and attack as if they are being forced to act instead of actually present a threat to the player. I'd totally prefer lame blocky models and pixelated skins that animated smooth and ecstatically over the ones that are already in the pack.

That said, the models in this thread, they look awesome, but honestly I have no interest in actually using them in doom.

That's why I think that sticking to the vanilla sprites is best. I think they look great and would always look better than trying to make other peoples 3d meshes into sprites. Vanilla Doom will always rule supreme in my eyes. Stick with them and you will always be glad you did.

For me though I'm not stopping after the monsters (unless I get bored of doing this.). I totally plan on making the surrounding world match up with the 3d monsters (texture-wise anyways).

These models do look great.

Whether or not they maintain that magical yet elusive "Doom Feeling" remains to be seen. But they do look good nonetheless.

The only thing that occurred to me; perhaps you could try widening the models slightly. The Doom Marine, the Shotgun Guy, and the Zombieman are all very stocky in the original game, so perhaps emulating that stockiness somewhat (though probably not to the same degree) might give them a more original feel.

All the best with the project tho. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. :)

Doing the Baron and Mastermind also covers Hell Knight and Arachnotron - the Cacodemon is also similar to the Pain Elemental in ways. With only a handful of DooM 2 monsters left over, it's easy to tackle the denezins of the bestiary, 'cause many are just recolors. aka another skin. Plasma Zombies, etc....

Kyka said:

Whether or not they maintain that magical yet elusive "Doom Feeling" remains to be seen. But they do look good nonetheless.

The only thing that occurred to me; perhaps you could try widening the models slightly. The Doom Marine, the Shotgun Guy, and the Zombieman are all very stocky in the original game, so perhaps emulating that stockiness somewhat (though probably not to the same degree) might give them a more original feel.

Agree.

These look fucking fantastic :)

I cannot wait to see how you get around some of the other modelling/texturing issues that I'm sure will crop up with some of the more complex monsters. Given your obvious skill at this, I'm sure they'll turn out great though.

How about animation, though? Animation is damn tough from what I gather, and models as pretty as these need equally good animation I reckon.

Also, if these go well, do you think you might consider doing the expanded Doom2 bestiary as well? (The Doom 2 list of monsters contain quite a few of my faviroutes :D)

CodenniumRed said:

Doing the Baron and Mastermind also covers Hell Knight and Arachnotron - the Cacodemon is also similar to the Pain Elemental in ways. With only a handful of DooM 2 monsters left over, it's easy to tackle the denezins of the bestiary, 'cause many are just recolors. aka another skin. Plasma Zombies, etc....

Will other Doomers be allowed to make altered versions of your monsters for this purpose once you're done with them, NiuHaka? :P

Yeah, CodenniumRed, I really can't imagine NiuHaka trying to make models for the custom monsters and edits from the Realm667 beastiary. Do you realize how much work has to go into every one of these things? :-\

WOW. Not sure how I missed this, but these are incredible!

It's great to get some professional-grade treatment on the 3D side at long last. I like pretty much everything about these models - the angular, geometric look to them, the beautiful and stylish texturing, just great! Reminds me of the Quake III / Unreal Tournament days when the texturing and model geometry was pretty much in harmony in terms of maturation and quality (before high poly models and bland texturing came on the scene).

Anyway, I look forward to future updates with much interest :)

Okay, in case anyone cares, i've been on a break from making more models. If you have been following anything i've said you would notice that I talk allot about making sure I don't get bored. Anyways, I'm also currently playing Star Craft 2 so that will prolong the break.

Anyways, after much thinking and pondering i've decided that creating the Doom 2 monsters also would only be super awesome and I have decided that I will create them. I will stick to the list of monsters that i have previously displayed and randomly insert a Doom 2 monster. Most will probably be created after the Doom 1 monsters.

Kyka said:

I think the magical Doom feeling was thrown out the window the moment I decided to give all models a sense of "real world" proportions. This is also why I won't be thickening these guys. That has already been done and with great style in my opinion. I however wish to do something different. When I set out to make these my motto was "What doom 3 should have looked like" I want them different but not too different.

CodenniumRed said:

Nah! They will all get their own mesh. Arachnotron needs to look like a baby mastermind after all. And Pain Elemental doesn't look like cacodemon. Anyways, you win you spoiled bastard. Doom 2 monsters will get their turn... I'm just an old school Doomguy so I don't know what the hell a Plasma Zombie is but, whatever.

Insane_Gazebo said:

How about animation, though? Animation is damn tough from what I gather, and models as pretty as these need equally good animation I reckon.

Also, if these go well, do you think you might consider doing the expanded Doom2 bestiary as well? (The Doom 2 list of monsters contain quite a few of my faviroutes :D)

Well, I judge myself to be "ok" at animating. I'm not too excited about some of the md2/md3 limitations but we'll see what we end up with. I'll go on the record as saying that any animations that suck where because of the md2/md3 format and has nothing to do with my mediocre skills;) My major was in animation and my job title has been artist/animator. Now that I admitted that there won't be any excuse for crappy animations so lets just pretend I didn't say it.

Spleen said:

Will other Doomers be allowed to make altered versions of your monsters for this purpose once you're done with them, NiuHaka? :P

Sure. Not sure how i would stop anyone from doing it anyways. I would actually love to see other peoples modifications of my monsters. that would be pretty cool.

Trilinear said:

Reminds me of the Quake III / Unreal Tournament days when the texturing and model geometry was pretty much in harmony in terms of maturation and quality (before high poly models and bland texturing came on the scene).

Ah! Now here is someone with taste. Q3 is one of my least favorite id creations but their models and textures are some of the best out there. The days before bump-maps made everything look plastic wrapped.

Agreed. Quake3 remains one of the most finely crafted pieces of gaming nirvana I've ever gazed upon. The attention to detail across all facets of game design still astounds me.

just wondering is there any hope for these models actually making it into doomsday? or is this pretty much dead already?...

Dee said:

just wondering is there any hope for these models actually making it into doomsday? or is this pretty much dead already?...

Not dead. Just running in stealth mode... OOPS! That wasn't very stealthy!

Probably won't be updating much. Don't like requests and I don't want to share until i'm finished.

Isn't there an option to delete a post when you edit it, or does a moderator have to do it?
(mod edit: it depends. either way, I did it for him :P)

Anyway, the models are really cool, can't wait 'till it's done!

NiuHaka said:

Not dead. Just running in stealth mode... OOPS! That wasn't very stealthy!

Probably won't be updating much. Don't like requests and I don't want to share until i'm finished.

awesome! very understandable, these are the most impressive models I've seen and I don't want to see these models go to waste. if you need assistance with this project, please pm me because I will do what I can, I have experience with models and importing them into doomsday. if help is required don't hesitate to ask for it. :)

the demons will need a much more organic look. you shouldn't base them entirely off the original monsters. very similar in most respects, and not quite as different as doom 3, but still a more realistic look.