Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vdgg

External keyboard problem

I read this
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/47808-running-diagonal-left/
and this
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/40556-cant-press-up-left-alt-simultaneously/
which taught me to abandon any hope. My problem is similar to both, yet quite different.

Of of the keys (down arrow) in my notebook doesn't work. I decided to buy a USB to PS/2 adapter and connect one of 5(!) PS/2 keyboards available.
We're not talking about such a luxury as unability of strafing to one side. What I cannot do is even:
press "FORWARD"
and then press "TURN RIGHT".
After pressing "turn right" the doomguy just stops walking or running forward.

- It has nothing to do with the keyboards which work well when connected to my old computer.
- It has something to do with key bindings... To some extent. ESDF does not work. If forward = ctrl, it works. But only two keys I tried - ctrl and shift do work. This would mean forcing myself into unimaginably awkward key bindings.
So I guess it's the USB port fault (although I tried two different ones), adapter fault or accessibility settings fault. Maybe someone has experienced something like this before?

I was using QWE to sr50 to the left, along with space for run, and sometimes it failed. Recently I changed my setup to use AWE, instead, and it's much more reliable.

I doubt anything other than a different key setup, or a different keyboard, will help.

myk said:

I was using QWE to sr50 to the left, along with space for run, and sometimes it failed. Recently I changed my setup to use AWE, instead, and it's much more reliable.

Either you use your left hand on the keyboard, or you twist it 45° clockwise. Otherwise it seems quite painful and unnatural to keep your right hand's fingers on those keys. QWD would be easier.

I'm right-handed, and it normally is indeed almost at 45°, but in the other sense. When I sr50 I shift my hand to a more or less upright position and make something of a diagonal line with the three fingers used on those keys (the index over the top of E, the middle finger over the bottom of W and the ring finger more or less square on A, with the thumb on Space.) Keep in mind sr50 is used briefly and rather statically.

Well I didn't mean SR50, some way more basic movements were impossible. Anyway, when I'm still open to suggestions what could be wrong, I'm changing my key settings for the first time in my life probably AND I shall use the notebook keyboard, one which I used from Nov 2009 until now.

I'm using the same fingers as before, but I play like a 5-year old child :) How long could it take to adapt?
The funniest experience so far was: I ran PrBoom+, MM2, MAP16. I tried the red key grab which has always been eeeasy (no need to SR50). I tried 50 times or so with no success. Only THEN I realised it wasn't because of new keyboard settings, I just didn't write -complevel 2...

vdgg said:
Well I didn't mean SR50, some way more basic movements were impossible. Anyway, when I'm still open to suggestions what could be wrong, I'm changing my key settings for the first time in my life probably AND I shall use the notebook keyboard, one which I used from Nov 2009 until now.

Yeah, I just used my sr50 as an example to illustrate how changing the setup can allow or disallow movements. Keyboards have some limitations on how many keys may be activated at once, especially if they belong to the same sections or rows... I'm not certain exactly how it works, but it varies with different keyboard models.

I'm using the same fingers as before, but I play like a 5-year old child :) How long could it take to adapt?

My experiences changing bindings on the main movement keys were pretty painful, making me unable to play competitively for a while. (A month?) The worst were when I changed what the fingers did, like when I tried using the right mouse button to move forward, instead of a key. Minor changes, like the sr50 change I mentioned, had little adverse effect.

If you're making changes, I'd suggest also checking that vanilla's hard-coded keys (for the automap and chatting) aren't being used for movement or other actions.

When you connected external keyboard, try to disable internal keyboard via bios setup, if it's possible.

Try to connect a native usb keyboard, which works good with desktop PC. As I heard - most of ps2-usb switches is utter shit.