Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necrosis1994

Delta Complex X [My second WAD]

I put about 20 hours into this one over the course of about a week. It's much longer than my first one, knowing where everything is I can do it in about 10 minutes. It's also much harder. I look forward to any and all feedback; be it positive or negative.
http://www.mediafire.com/?af11rc18f9mzzeo

I also recorded a playthrough of the level if anyone's is interested in that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBFJvntnJmw

It's a pretty fun level, but see several problems with it:

1. Not enough height variation. There was a staircase or two but other than that the level seemed very flat.
2. Not enough detail. Many of the rooms only had one texture for the walls, try to add computer stations/decorative items or something to fill up the space.
3. The secrets are to random. Walking up to random walls and pressing "use" over and over again is not a fun way to find secrets.
4. This isn't a mistake in your level, but in the last room of that video did you use god mode? You hid the HUD and appear to be taking huge amounts of damage without dying.

If you look closely pretty much all of the secrets are made pretty obvious, as they are either much brighter or darker than the surrounding walls or there are a lot of enemies crowded around staring at it. And I didn't use God mode, and I didn't even purposefully hide the HUD, I'm not sure why it did that...I just got really lucky with that room, and I really didn't have much health left when I got to the exit. And I tried to mix up the textures a bit in some areas, but atleast it's better than my first level which was all STARTAN =P I'm glad you liked the level though, a lot of work went into it.

Well, I know this sounds harsh. But I admit that this level looked too much like a slige level pretty much. I can agree with bgraybr's points.

I also missed more variation in how the rooms were made as it pretty much felt like the same room repeated over and over again.

Torn said:

Well, I know this sounds harsh. But I admit that this level looked too much like a slige level pretty much. I can agree with bgraybr's points.

I also missed more variation in how the rooms were made as it pretty much felt like the same room repeated over and over again.

What's a slige level? A lot of rooms were pretty samey I guess because I made most of them in the same 14 hours stretch, and I was getting pretty tired. I probably should've taken a break lol. I did go back the next day and add some detail to attempt to make them a bit more original though.

Watching the first few minutes of your video it seemed like a succession of grey tech rooms with low ceilings and square sky-lights. It looked like it could have been copy/pasted. Another thing I noticed was you don't leave enough room above the doors in rooms where there's sky. It looks like they disappear up into the sky.

General variation (height/texture/gameplay/lighting/architecture) is what I would recommend. Maybe also making smaller maps as this will get you into the habit of trying new things rather than repeating yourself.

I hope you learned a lot of new things making this map - that's most crucial thing making your first maps. Making any maps anyway - that you learn new things to improve your skill.