Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

GZdoom question [lost souls and kills]

I'm kinda new to gzdoom and upon trying to do some demos, I discovered that lost souls count as kills after level finish. I changed just about every option to remove this issue, but meh, no change. Is there any way to disable this?

Aside from redefining them, no. They are monsters and the only reason they don't count in Doom 2 is programmer's laziness.

Make a DECORATE replacement of the lost soul adding the -countkill flag and add that DECORATE in the command line. If you want it to work always, just add the file to the DOOM autoload in the INI file.

Amazing! It looks like there is something GZ and I agree upon.

For a permanent "fix" -COUNTKILL can be added to the "+FLOAT +NOGRAVITY +MISSILEMORE +DONTFALL +NOICEDEATH" line in gzdoom.pk3/actors/doom/lostsoul.txt.

Editing g/zdoom.pk3 sucks because you'll have to modify it every time G/ZDoom is updated, you'll have to make the edit for every ZDoom-based engine you use, and you can't easily undo it if you want lost souls to count under certain circumstances. The attached file makes the change, just adding what is needed, and can be loaded by all applicable engines.

lostsoul.zip

Lost souls used to count as monsters until v1.666 of the exe. I've just tested all the exes from 0.99/1.0 onwards, with a custom level containing a lost soul and an imp, and killing just the imp before leaving. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.25 Sybex, 1.3/1.4 bootleg, 1.4 beta, 1.5 beta, 1.6 beta all gave me 50% kill for missing the lost soul. (1.666, 1.8 and 1.9 give 100%.)

Yeah, my bet is that them not counting was introduced because id couldn't be bothered handling them when they added the Pain Elemental.

The irony here is that the crap they added to make the Lost Soul a non-counting monster was far more work than to add a proper monster counter...