Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Do people still create Mods and maps for Quake 1 and 2?

Recommended Posts

I recently bought the Quake Collection from STEAM and so far I have been having a blast with Quake 1 and 2. And then while I was thinking about how Doom still has a fully active modding community after all of these years I started to wander if the same thing applied to Quake 1 and 2.

I know Quake 1 and 2 were also very popular and were both released by Id Software, so do those 2 games also have a active community worth checking out? I would love to create some maps from Quake 1 and 2, but I doubt I will bother if there is nobody around to play them anymore :(

Share this post


Link to post
AveryMaurice said:

Indeed they do: http://quakeone.com/

Not new, but definitely try out the original Team Fortress.


I already played the original Time Fortress years ago.

Also, while the site may still be there do people actually continue to make and submit maps or has the site just become sort of a library for Quake 1 and 2 maps with the actual community being dead?

Share this post


Link to post

Why not look at the link and check?

It's pretty obvious there's activity, given there's recent news on releases and projects.

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

Why not look at the link and check?

It's pretty obvious there's activity, given there's recent news on releases and projects.


Good point.

But this all appears to be Quake 1 stuff, no Quake 2?

Share this post


Link to post

AFAIK Quake 2 is far less active than Quake 1 when it comes to modding.

Share this post


Link to post

I already watched the original Time Squad years ago.

Share this post


Link to post

Currently working on a map pack for Quake, though its currently on hold until I knock out the other stuff I am doing.

Share this post


Link to post

Both Quake and Quake 2 are most active in their MP communities. But there are still stuff being made for the SP.

Share this post


Link to post
K!r4 said:

AFAIK Quake 2 is far less active than Quake 1 when it comes to modding.


Why? Don't get me wrong I like Quake 1 a lot but so far the single player in Quake 2 is just so much more fun.

kristus said:

Both Quake and Quake 2 are most active in their MP communities. But there are still stuff being made for the SP.


Do you know about any Quake 2 mapping sites?

Kaiser said:

Currently working on a map pack for Quake, though its currently on hold until I knock out the other stuff I am doing.


I would be more then willing to playtest you know?

:)

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

Why? Don't get me wrong I like Quake 1 a lot but so far the single player in Quake 2 is just so much more fun.

I don't know, a community can fade away no matter how the game is good.
I could be wrong though, perhaps someone knows more about Quake 2 modding community than me.

A great ressource for inspiration in Quake 1 mapping, too bad it seems to be inactive since 2008: http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/underworld/

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

Do you know about any Quake 2 mapping sites?


Trawl through this extensive review depot, be forewarned a number of links (the highly recommended ones infuriatingly) have broken download links. http://tenfourmaps.telefragged.com/php/revidx.php?gameid=q2&sortby=date&reversesort=1&page=1

Secondly theirs Mark Shan's array of critically acclaimed projects, bizzare as they exhibit a semi slaughter style of gameplay with enemies appearing in hordes. Very alien to the original game's sprawling, non-linear design and strategic placement of individual enemeis in crafty areas.
http://www.markshan.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Bloodite Krypto said:

Secondly theirs Mark Shan's array of critically acclaimed projects, bizzare as they exhibit a semi slaughter style of gameplay with enemies appearing in hordes. Very alien to the original game's sprawling, non-linear design and strategic placement of individual enemeis in crafty areas.
http://www.markshan.com/

Yeah Pax Imperia is pretty well known, although I have yet to play it to see it by myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Kaiser said:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18609/kq.zip

Go nuts. DOSQuake and WinQuake may experience some problems due to limits being reached in some maps.


Thanks.

I can't play it right now since its 00:26 over here and I need to get some sleep, but I will take a look at them either in the next 24 hours or this weekend. I will send you my thoughts via PM.

Also, I am assuming I need to start the mod via console command (correct me if I am wrong), so what is the name of the first map I need to enter into the console?

Share this post


Link to post

Read the readme text file. This is actually a mod so you'll need to create a folder and throw the pak file in there. Then launch quake via Quake.exe -game <name of folder>. Start a new game as normal after that.

Share this post


Link to post

hardcore_gamer, be sure to check Insomnia, Once Upon Atrocity, Dawn of Eternity and Marcher Fortress for Quake I, all downloadable from the website I gave you above.
BTW I find XXXI Cybersky from Eternal very close to those levels.

I will try your mod too Kaiser, with ProQuake.

Share this post


Link to post

This is kind of off topic, but what is the best port to play custom maps for Quake 2? The only port I have atm is KMQuake2. Also, whatever happened to the Quake 2 Evolved port? I remember finding out about this neat engine over a year ago, but I didn't really get around to try it. Now it seems like the entire project just vanished...

Share this post


Link to post

I would like to try making maps for Quake, But I don't have Quake 1. But I do have Quake 2 luckily. Is it just like with Doom that mapping for Quake 2 is more interesting because of the extra resources? Is it harder to map for Quake 2 than for the first Quake, or isn't there any difference.

Share this post


Link to post

Map format is essentially the same. Main difference is the monsters weapons and that you can have colored light in Q2.

Share this post


Link to post
Kaiser said:

Read the readme text file. This is actually a mod so you'll need to create a folder and throw the pak file in there. Then launch quake via Quake.exe -game <name of folder>. Start a new game as normal after that.


How can I change the parameters? When I right click on the exe (note that I am using a source port, but I doubt that is the problem) and select properties and I can't find the launch parameters anywhere. Note that I am using Windows 7.

EDIT: Forget it, it turns out that my source port has a awesome in-game MOD browser that allows me to start any MOD I want without having to create any shortcuts or edit .exe files.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

Map format is essentially the same. Main difference is the monsters weapons and that you can have colored light in Q2.

Many Q1 engines now support colored light. It's also backwards compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
dutch devil said:

I don't have Quake 1. But I do have Quake 2 luckily. Is it just like with Doom that mapping for Quake 2 is more interesting because of the extra resources?

Resources are completely different.

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

How can I change the parameters? When I right click on the exe (note that I am using a source port, but I doubt that is the problem) and select properties and I can't find the launch parameters anywhere. Note that I am using Windows 7.

EDIT: Forget it, it turns out that my source port has a awesome in-game MOD browser that allows me to start any MOD I want without having to create any shortcuts or edit .exe files.

You can add those parameters like you add command lines for Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
K!r4 said:

You can add those parameters like you add command lines for Doom.


Yea Well I don't have to since the source port I am using has a in-game mod browser.

Anyways, as for Kaisers MOD:

So far I have only played level 1 and a chunk of level 2 and I can't state just how impressed I am with them (but considering that Kaiser is a level designer from the actual industry I wasn't really expecting anything less). The level of detail is very high and enemy placement is good. The first level is a tech base map and is only populated (as far as I could see) my zombie marines and is basically a fast paced action map. My only problem so far is that I think level 1 is just a little bit tight on ammo and I found myself finishing the level with just the axe and 2 shotgun shells and no new weapons besides the super shotgun.

Anyways, I really like what I see so far. I will report more on what I see in the near future on this thread.

Share this post


Link to post

There was the Some old games mod for Quake II, containing stuff from Wolfenstein 3-D, Doom, Quake and Quake II. Unfortunately all links to the project are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Deeforce said:

Is there a mod where you can see doom demons or other great things in Quake 1,2,3? Maybe there is something like Shamblers Castle, but please don't talk about Quake 4!


YPOD for Quake 1.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×