Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

BSP Holes?

Here's a picture of the level I'm working on:

As you can hopefully see, the room has four sectors at each corner. The bottom right one has a border. But, if I try to add a border to any other corner, it creates a rather ugly hole in my level:

How can I fix this? The only way that I've ever been able to do this is by deleting and completely redrawing the entire room, and I don't want to do that in this situation.

Here's the download link for the file (Doom 2 format):
http://forbidden.randomns0123.com/hell.wad

I'm not sure if it is related to your problem at all, but the diagonal sections of wall in that room have weird linedefs overlapping eachother. Though maybe that's intentional for some advanced port feature (I'm strictly a Boom guy myself).

For now I'm assuming you don't want them, so can just go ahead and delete them. Then to fix mess2.jpg; flip (F in most level editors) the linedefs involved in the border, mark them as double sided, and set the front sidedef sector to sector 164, and the back sidedef to sector 159.

Vorpal said:

I'm not sure if it is related to your problem at all, but the diagonal sections of wall in that room have weird linedefs overlapping eachother. Though maybe that's intentional for some advanced port feature (I'm strictly a Boom guy myself).

For now I'm assuming you don't want them, so can just go ahead and delete them. Then to fix mess2.jpg; flip (F in most level editors) the linedefs involved in the border, mark them as double sided, and set the front sidedef sector to sector 164, and the back sidedef to sector 159.

Thanks for pointing that out, I just now noticed the overlapping lines. The map is in vanilla Doom 2 format so they're not needed for any advanced features or anything. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to delete them without causing more errors. I just realized how messed up this map is, to many overlapping lines and unclosed sectors. Weird, I never had any problems with my maps in Hexen format- and I drew things the same way. Can someone more knowledgeable then myself take a closer look at the wad and try to fix it?

One way to eliminate overlapping linedefs that works for me is to set the grid to 1 or 2 map points, select a vertex that has a line overlapping it and jiggle it about a little before returning it to it's original position. In most cases DB2 will re-stitch the lines and remove the overlap.

Here is one of many ways to fix the problem. GreyGhost's is the easiest way, I explain it in a more manual way in order to illustrate some of the behaviors of linedefs. In the first step where I start changing stuff, I emphasize to hit "C" to deselect everything but don't reference it again... you should be using this probably at every step though.

step 1
step 2
step 3
step 4
step 5
step 6
step 7
step 8
step 9
step 10
step 11
step 12

That should fix everything on that one diagonal section of the room, but you'll have to fix the other 3 diagonals.