Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannebubinga

My new doom1 map needs feedback

Very good and non linear.

It has some issues though, the support columns are awkwardly small, the hallway with the blue computer texture was ugly, and some of the teleporter traps were a little buggy, but other than that it's a fun, nice looking map (I got into the outdoor area, but couldn't figure out the rocket launcher secret O_o).

Wich of the hallways do you mean?

The pillar with the rocket launcher is lowered when you step on the gate4 in the room where the imps and shotgun guys teleport to. A pretty far fetched secret maybe...

dannebubinga said:

Wich of the hallways do you mean?

The pillar with the rocket launcher is lowered when you step on the gate4 in the room where the imps and shotgun guys teleport to. A pretty far fetched secret maybe...

Not really to far fetched, I just couldn't figure out the secret.

Here is the hallway I was talking about. Also, this door should stay open after you hit the switch, it was a little annoying having to run back and open the door again after shooting the enemies.

bgraybr said:

Not really to far fetched, I just couldn't figure out the secret.

Here is the hallway I was talking about. Also, this door should stay open after you hit the switch, it was a little annoying having to run back and open the door again after shooting the enemies.

Hehe ok. I guess it makes it a pretty decent "secret" then.

I will fix the door and see waht I can do about that hallway.

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it

dannebubinga said:

I just done my first Doom1 map in doom builder 2 and would like some feedback! I have been critized before that my maps are to sharp-edged and that the maps are to linear.

Criticized for linear maps? By that I assume that people don't like Point A from point B, and no extra rooms to just look around at, right? If so, well, those maps I find to be a bit better than open ended maps or whatever... But thats my opinion.

It's style is very Episode 1 and has a good look, which gave me some nostalgia, played on Doom95 and I didn't found any bug (visplanes overflows for example), that means it's 100% vanilla compatible, except for the bunch of texture errors I found that don't appear on ZDoom and other ports, about gameplay I just tought it too softcore for a skill like Ultra-Violence, could be harder, placing some enemies tougher and on the exactly place, but if you're going to place it on a wad with multiple levels, then you're starting okay. A deathmatch on this map seems cool.

But still, I must say, I got trapped in a few times lol.

Cronyne said:

First map?

Jesus Christ. Good start man.

Hehe no. I was a bit unclear maybe. This my first Doom 1 map in doom builder 2. I have worked with wadauthor before but changed to doombuilder recently.

That was a damn good ep1 theme map. So dannebubinga your planing to make an episode out of this?

Philnemba said:

That was a damn good ep1 theme map. So dannebubinga your planing to make an episode out of this?

Thanks!

Yeah, i just started to making a new map in the same theme. But it will take me for ever to make 9 maps. I could use some help with mapping. As for making custom wads with new map names, music, titlescreen and stuff. That's way beyond my skills... I just know how to make a map :P

If someone is interested, just shout!

dannebubinga said:

Thanks!

Yeah, i just started to making a new map in the same theme. But it will take me for ever to make 9 maps. I could use some help with mapping. As for making custom wads with new map names, music, titlescreen and stuff. That's way beyond my skills... I just know how to make a map :P

If someone is interested, just shout!

Hmm... It could be in my interest. SHOUT.

The map was very well made and pretty fun! Only flaw I found in my playthrough was the "elevator" to the secret outdoor area not moving the sprite texture with it as it goes up, making it look unnatural.

Nice small and easy map with non banal design and good layout. But some decorative elements looks quite odd, like that star teleporter. Also, on my taste, usage of curved lines is excessive.

I played it in doom+ and not found any serious bug, except several vanilla-specific texture tiling errors.

Here's my game: http://e1m2.net/hth/1stdemos/nyd1-hth.zip

Not really all that bad, actually. Easy, old-schoolish fun. Nice twist at the blue armor... caught me a smidgen off-guard. Also, I'd switch it to green armor, personally.

Not bad. It was fun to play.

The only things I didn't like was the texture choice for that little exit room (the one with the STARBR2 texture). I wish you would have made the texture the same as the entire room that exit room was in. Also, I thought it was kind of hard to figure out how to leave that secret area with the chaingun and the rocket launcher. Not sure how you'd fix that though...

Anyways, I hope you continue making maps in the future.

Overall nice map. As Snakes said The Blue Armor could be changed to green armor.

Also in the beginning where the shotgun box is...you should move it away from the middle texture window because you can grab it from the secret area where the chaingun is located(even though that wouldn't help the level at all).

Are the rockets at the end of the level for the next level?

Clonehunter said:

Criticized for linear maps? By that I assume that people don't like Point A from point B, and no extra rooms to just look around at, right? If so, well, those maps I find to be a bit better than open ended maps or whatever... But thats my opinion.

I like linear maps too. It was interesting. Today I played all of 40oz's maps because I liked his latest birfday map so much. The one map of his that got 4 1/2 stars (the others were 3 1/2 I think) was my least favorite. It was the most non-linear. For some reason people really like the non-linear maps. I just find them to be annoying. The rest of 40oz's maps were very fun.

as to this thread, I really liked the map. I thought the textures, motifs and architecture were nice. It was a bit easy; the blue armor should be green, for instance. The teleports were very cool/creative. I thought this map had a good balance between linear-non-linear in that it wasn't too linear and didn't have the open go anywhere ambiance that I hate so much (and others seem to like so much).

While lower unpegged makes texture alignment easy, you really shouldn't do it on lower textures of lifts per twinen's comment and the lifts in the exit area, because the lifts are doing something impossible then. Unless you're going for a 'fell realm' effect that id did in some later maps in episodes 2 and 3, lower unpegging lower textures that move vertically is bad. Also, it's a bit un-id/unprofessional to have a window be the way out the secret. it would be cooler to have a little passageway out of that area or a normal lift operable by a switch or a real lift texture. The lower part of the window being an activatable lift seems unrealistic/stretching the 'physics' of the doom reality.

Hellbent said:

"Nonlinearity bash"

Nonlinear maps are fun because they give the player a lot more space to explore (this is optional usually) and thus makes the map feel a lot bigger and funner than it actually is.It also gives an exploration feeling,given that there are a lot more routes than in linear maps.That being said,I like both styles,as long the map is well made.

TendaMonsta said:

Are the rockets at the end of the level for the next level?

Hehe yes they are!

i have already made some minor changes. I have changed the armor to green, made the armor-trap more non-buggy, added some enemies and made some enemies deaf so they won't walk around to much before noticing them.

I will also change how you reach the secret outdoor area.

as for the lower unpegged elevator... I just couldnt figure out how to make the texture look good without unpegging it. This is what happened (the doorstop texture was added to give a hint on how to get out there):

Hitherto said:

Nice small and easy map with non banal design and good layout. But some decorative elements looks quite odd, like that star teleporter. Also, on my taste, usage of curved lines is excessive.

Agree.

I love the level-design of this map; also, i like the fact that this is relatively easy, it's cool (i think) to go through the map without too much problems. Traps were cool too. But I've been stuck in the outdoor area (with the rocket launcher at the top of the pillar). I didn't know how to get out of there. It have taken me at least 10 minutes until I manage to get out of there!
In any case, that's a cool level !

Tyro said:

It have taken me at least 10 minutes until I manage to get out of there!

For 10 minutes you can click on every pixel there at least 10 times. May be you played it drunk?

I didn't play it drunk. But I was pressing spacebar without interruption while walking along the walls and nothing happened... Until it worked. Don't know why it took me so much times before the lift lowered.
And for a while I stopped press spacebar and tried to fire on the computer through the windows... :s (sorry for my bad English...)

Ok. Thanks for the responses!

I have fixed some things that have been mentioned here and have started working on a second map. I will try to make it a 9 level wad but I could really use some help. Please contact if you feel like helping me out with testing and mapping.

Here is the map with the changes made:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3po6rdwu1p8x1m9

I like what you did with the secret. The line trigger is too close to the door now. Can you make the lift a little bigger? very cramped in there. But I like it.

THe green armor room: The level doesn't seem fell enough for monsters to be teleporting into a room randomly in my feeling. I would have the shotgun guys teleport into the blue cubbies.

The pillars at the beginning make it feel a little chaotic and cumbersome. Might be better to just get rid of them?

Not really crazy about the fact that you can step up onto the computer panel in the corner of the dark blue computer room.

can you put a ring around the upside down star? /diabolical look/

Hellbent said:

I like what you did with the secret. The line trigger is too close to the door now. Can you make the lift a little bigger? very cramped in there. But I like it.

THe green armor room: The level doesn't seem fell enough for monsters to be teleporting into a room randomly in my feeling. I would have the shotgun guys teleport into the blue cubbies.

The pillars at the beginning make it feel a little chaotic and cumbersome. Might be better to just get rid of them?

Not really crazy about the fact that you can step up onto the computer panel in the corner of the dark blue computer room.

can you put a ring around the upside down star? /diabolical look/

I have fixed the mentioned things. I can't get my choc doom to work so I don't really know when the triggered lift lindef is to close to the door.

I will try to make a circle hehe.

I would love to playtest your levels if you keep making, you seem to have a talent. :p

As hellbent said it felt a bit unnatural to be able to walk onto the computer in the dark blue room, and also the teleport star looks a little off. Those are the only things that struck me in this excellent map.