Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Problems opening a doc file (solved)

Hey, I was writing a document with Microsoft Office and after I was forced to reboot in the old way I couldn't open the file again.
Office asks me to download a converter to open it, I did it but it still asking me the same, and the file formats Word offer can't open it.

Any help will be appreciated, the file can be downloaded here
http://www.2shared.com/document/SMcVkiTc/Situaciones_tpicas_del_acompaa.html

Thanks for the quick reply, yep I tried it too but the result was the same :(

This is weird, I opened it with both MS Office and OpenOffice with the same errors as you, then tried opening it in plain text with Notepad++ and getting the same strange encoding problems. I'm not sure if this is recoverable, I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks corrupted. The header is missing, so Word-compatible apps can't identify it as a Word document. I tried opening it with my WordPad, and it opened it as a text file, showing all the formatting junk.

If the header is all that is missing, perhaps it could be copied from another DOC file and completed or added, but if the corruption is more severe, you might be out of luck.

Javier, it is corrupt. Open a readable word document with notepad, you'll see that after applying word wrap you can see the text. In your document there's garbage where it shouldn't be like Robbie Williams rock dj.mp3 and then some nice characters. Again: they shouldn't mix.
You can try searching for .wrl documents and open each of them with word. Sometimes this can save your day.

@averyMaurice: I didn't have that conversion thing while using notepad++ but the result was poor anyway compared to notepad or pspad. I should use this but 59.95$?

Coldfusio said:

@averyMaurice: I didn't have that conversion thing while using notepad++ but the result was poor anyway compared to notepad or pspad. I should use this but 59.95$?

It doesn't come up with a conversion window for me either, just a bunch of formatting and encoding garbage and unreadable text.

Damn, I was going to say 'Open and Repair' is your friend, but it couldn't repair it :(

Does your version of Office not keep any backup files at all? What OS are you using?

Thanks to all guys, I solved this in the oldschool way rewriting this from scratch. It was easier than the first time and ended out to be a smoother version.
The thread can be removed or whatever.

Thanks again for your time.