Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
shinobi.cl

New female marine skin... Criticism needed, maybe some help?

Hi!

I´m making a "standard" female doom marine skin. The basic ideas are:

* The overall size of the female must be THE SAME as the male one. The skin should have the same height and width as the male marine.

* It should be as similar as possible as the original marine.

I have this for the moment.

(1st image: Original, 2nd: Female version)
(See this thread to see the images as i update them)
http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=13389

Im planning to do portrait images too. Seems hard, but i'll try at least.

I don't like it at all, it just looks like an emaciated Doomguy. I think the Illucia skin from Skulltag is probably the best female skin around.

she looks horrifically alienish.

Bank said:

I don't like it at all, it just looks like an emaciated Doomguy. I think the Illucia skin from Skulltag is probably the best female skin around.

The problem with Illucia is that is smaller in width than the male marine.

I'm trying to make a female skin that presents no advantage in any way over the standard male skin.

shinobi.cl said:

The problem with Illucia is that is smaller in width than the male marine.

Isn't the players bounding box the same regardless of what skin you use? If you play as that female skin can you fit into 32 wide spaces easier?

Use3D said:

Isn't the players bounding box the same regardless of what skin you use? If you play as that female skin can you fit into 32 wide spaces easier?

I know about the "hit box". But still, visibility is as important as that. Iluccia's width is 80% of the standard marine width. That is an important "visual" advantage for, (for example) a tournament match.

If you're using skins then you are pretty obviously playing for fun and not competitively. Otherwise you'd turn off skins all together. I agree with that the skin should be as close to the original doomguy's size but your reasoning for doing so isn't what I agree with.

40oz said:

If you're using skins then you are pretty obviously playing for fun and not competitively. Otherwise you'd turn off skins all together.

This is true - considering that Skulltag by default comes with a Goddamned Hissy skin, I can only assume that players who seek fair and competitive gameplay simply disable skins. Kind of like how Quake Live endorses bright skins, because apparently using a map's natural shadows to gain the upper hand is deceitful. You know, every combat encounter has to climax in an amazing 1v1 rocket launcher duel.

I kid, of course.

Looks like a skinny dude wearing boob armor. I would suggest doing something to make her more unique. I know you said you wanted it to be close to the original doomguy, but for a second I didn't even notice there were two different skins shown in your pictures...she looks too similar.

I think part of the problem is that you are trying to keep the width the same. Because of that she looks too wide, especially in the frontal view where her skinny arms are like a mile away from her body.

StoneFrog said:

Skulltag by default comes with a Goddamned Hissy skin

No longer BTW.

shinobi.cl said:

I'm trying to make a female skin that presents no advantage in any way over the standard male skin.

If that is your concern, then just dress her.

Or if the size is a concern, then I guess you can ignore that and play by the default rules. The width difference doesn't look significant. Hell, all those humanoid monsters are thicker ingame than the player, despite looking the same.