Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

how to merge .mov files?

I want to merge 3 .mov files into one. I do not want to convert them. Is there a simple software solution for this task? Many programs seem not to support .mov file type.
thanks

You can use mencoder (part of mplayer) to do this:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy file1.mov file2.mov -o everything.mov

The output *might* have to be AVI, though.

Eponasoft said:

I used to have a program that was called EO Video that could merge video files, and it had .mov support.

I can't figure out how to use the joiner tool. Here's how my brain works: I would like to load three .mov files into the program, click on the joiner tool and have it output 1-3.mov

I was able to specify an output file in the destination folder of my choice, but I can't figure out how to umm... import the files I want joined.

If I remember correctly, you first have to select the files in the file browser to make a "playlist". Then, go to the Joiner and it should work.

AFAIK, .mov files are just a container format that might contain ANYTHING from legacy quicktime to standard MPEG4 video, so joining any number of them them "losslessly" without transcoding will depend primarily on all files using the same exact codec and format (same resolution etc.). The same requirements, with some quirks, hold for their audio audio.

If they are NOT in the same format, tough luck, you'll have to transcode. If they are all MPEG4 AND use the same resolution, you might be able to splice them together with a program such as AviDemux, and even keep the output format the same.

Maes said:

AFAIK, .mov files are just a container format that might contain ANYTHING from legacy quicktime to standard MPEG4 video, so joining any number of them them "losslessly" without transcoding will depend primarily on all files using the same exact codec and format (same resolution etc.). The same requirements, with some quirks, hold for their audio audio.

If they are NOT in the same format, tough luck, you'll have to transcode. If they are all MPEG4 AND use the same resolution, you might be able to splice them together with a program such as AviDemux, and even keep the output format the same.

they are all shot with the same camera so they should be fine, but good point.

Eponasoft said:

If I remember correctly, you first have to select the files in the file browser to make a "playlist". Then, go to the Joiner and it should work.

You wouldn't want to by chance download the program and play along with me would you? *bats eyelashes*

There are 4 tabs at the bottom of the program: explorer, player, joiner, converter.

I assume I need to use the explorer tab. I use the explorer to find the three .mov files I want to join. I highlight the three using ctrl key. Now what do I do?

OK I found an old copy I have backed up, but the program never really changes much so this should work...

In the Explorer tab, you should see all the supported files. You simply drag the files you want over to the Playlist. Once you have all the files you want in the Playlist, click on the Joiner tab. Just choose your Destination Folder and Output File Name, then click on the Join button on the side, and then click on Start. It should work. I'm not 100% sure if it can join them as .mov files but I'm pretty sure it can as long as you have the correct Qt codecs installed.

You're right, it won't just join them. I really don't understand why a software can't just stick 3 files together and make it one, without touching the format of the file. Thanks for explaining how to do it.

AviDemux and VirtualDub can do it if you append files subsequently and you set them for "direct stream copy". However the formats must match EXACTLY.

In the case of MOV files created by a camera, they are most likely MPEG4 streams contained in MOVs. You can use Avidemux to extract the raw MPEG4 streams, and then "losslessly join" them.

Most editing programs will just transcode everything.

Maes said:

AviDemux and VirtualDub can do it if you append files subsequently and you set them for "direct stream copy". However the formats must match EXACTLY.

In the case of MOV files created by a camera, they are most likely MPEG4 streams contained in MOVs. You can use Avidemux to extract the raw MPEG4 streams, and then "losslessly join" them.

Most editing programs will just transcode everything.

I wish I understood what you just said and knew how to do it. I have to have all the files (30) joined and uploaded by tomorrow night. Several gigs worth. youtube.com/lifeinaday only accepts 15 files. So now I have to upload my 30 files all over again, but i need to join some of them so that i am dealing with less files. Preferably about 5. It has to remain in HD so that the filmmakers will actually be bothered to look at my videos. If they are converted to lo-fi which all these programs do, it's no good.

Well, I tried merging two AVGN .MOV files downloaded from GameTrailers with Avidemux and it worked. They were both h264 encoded with 480 x 360 resolution, and VBR audio. Those generated by the camera will likely be in formats that are easier to handle.

I just opened the first one, then selected "Append" from the menu, selected another, and changed the output container format to "MPEG4" so when I saved I had a raw ".mp4" file. Media Player Classic was able to play it just fine, although I got warnings about the VBR audio, so you might want to convert that one to CBR.

You could set the format directly to AVI, but that caused crashes for me. Your best best is to merge everything to a big MPEG4 raw file and then see which format works best for youtube's loader.

MPEG Streamclip 1.2 (not the beta version)

File -> Open Files
Pick the files you want to join, and make sure they are in the right order that you want in the File name: field in the Open dialog. In most Windows versions, this means holding CTRL and clicking on the files in the reverse order you want them to end up.

File -> Save As
Pick a filename to save the result into. Wait for it to finish. You're done.