Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyro

I made a map and I want to share it

Hello all!

I just finished my new map today and i wanted advices and comment. Although I read all the rules, I don't know if this is the good forum to post this but anyway, I post it. Sorry if this is not the good board or the good forum to post this.

This is the first map I made with the configuration "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen version)". Before, I used to do vanilla-Doom levels, just with the configuration "Doom 2". And recently I discovered that I could change "Doom 2" for "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen version)" in the map options/configurations (the windows before you start mapping). I was surprised how many things it does (it allows you to change the movement speed of the doors, make bridges, fake-floor, etc...).
So after some test-levels, I did this map which is my first real map using "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen version)".

The player is in a city and he must defend it alongside his comrades, against the two waves of monsters coming from the east and from the west (at the west, there is the sea). (Once the first wave is destroyed, player must press the switch which is in one of the buildings at the west, in front of the beach, in order to make the second wave appear. I was forced to do so, or else the game is laggy (too many monsters moving in the same time)).
There is a lot of secrets; most of the buildings are opened and can be visited. There is weapons and ammo a little bit everywhere.
I did some new textures, it was funny.

The map can be download here :
http://www.4shared.com/file/_q-ktv0p/_2__city_defend_wad.html

or here if the previous link don't work :
http://www.4shared.com/file/0pR6IqGd/city_defend_wad_alt.html

Of course there's the .txt file inside.

Here is some screenshots :
http://s2.noelshack.com/old/up/screenshot_doom_20100605_111226-b1b3407d43.png

http://s2.noelshack.com/old/up/screenshot_doom_20100730_145641-9f78471d98.png

http://s2.noelshack.com/old/up/screenshot_doom_20100724_223910-6cb9bbf683.png

http://s2.noelshack.com/old/up/screenshot_doom_20100729_220538-3699620999.png

http://s2.noelshack.com/old/up/screenshot_doom_20100730_132607-7b7309bf38.png

Enjoy! Don't forget it works with Zdoom. (Zdoom (Doom in Hexen Version)). And of course it is MAP01.

Wow, I'm still on the first wave, but it looks pretty sick.

Nice.

EDIT: Really great. One of the funnest wads I've played.
One thing I seemed to notice, was the door's Doortraks weren't Lower unpegged.

I loved those textures. Especially the self-advertisement .

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but you can get to the exit before any of the monsters reach the city if you use a couple of secrets to get to the outer wall that is blocked and jump over the edge.

Hello again!
Thanks for your comments.

"bgraybr
I don't know if this is intentional or not, but you can get to the exit before any of the monsters reach the city if you use a couple of secrets to get to the outer wall that is blocked and jump over the edge."

Sorry, I still don't know how to do quotations :s
Thanks for the info. No, that's not intentional. I'll have to see what I can do about this.
But could you please tell me what secrets you are talking about ?

"Manhunt21
One thing I seemed to notice, was the door's Doortraks weren't Lower unpegged."

Well I did'nt know that Doortraks should be lower unpegged. From now I will always Lower unpegged them :) Thanks for the tips.

"Manhunt21
Also, if I may.... could I request a sequel?"

Well, I love this kind of level; when I was younger I used to create several map on the D-Day theme. So, I'll certainly make other maps in the same style.

Welcome to Doomworld!

This was a well-done city map, and some of the custom textures were brilliant (I laughed at the Doomguy-as-leader poster).

If you want to you are able to add an ACS script which will immediatley start the second wave once the first wave is completley destroyed. This removes the switch pushing which can detract from the experience ("Oh no! Our city is under attack! Let's push this switch to spawn more monsters against us!").

Ultraboy94 said:

If you want to you are able to add an ACS script which will immediatley start the second wave once the first wave is completley destroyed. This removes the switch pushing which can detract from the experience ("Oh no! Our city is under attack! Let's push this switch to spawn more monsters against us!").

Sorry for the late response. I have a limited access to internet (I have access to a computer only two weeks per months).
Indeed the next step for me is to master the script thing; I will soon follow tutorials that I can found on the ZDoom Wiki.
Also, I laughed at the end of your post!
In any case, thanks you all for your response!

Tyro said:

Sorry for the late response. I have a limited access to internet (I have access to a computer only two weeks per months).
Indeed the next step for me is to master the script thing; I will soon follow tutorials that I can found on the ZDoom Wiki.
Also, I laughed at the end of your post!
In any case, thanks you all for your response!

Try IDDIT (the cheat code) while you are on the map screen. Type it 2 times and you should be able to see where they are.
But unfortunately I think that sometimes, some of the monsters are not teleported (they stay away of the teleportation lines). So you can wait long before they eventually come (if they come).

Tyro said:

Try IDDIT (the cheat code) while you are on the map screen. Type it 2 times and you should be able to see where they are.
But unfortunately I think that sometimes, some of the monsters are not teleported (they stay away of the teleportation lines). So you can wait long before they eventually come (if they come).

Did you mean to quote me? It's IDDT, actually. And I did get 'em all. :D
Can't wait for number two.

Manhunt21 said:

Did you mean to quote me? It's IDDT, actually. And I did get 'em all. :D
Can't wait for number two.

Oops, yes, of course I meant to quote you, I'm sorry. And yes, it is indeed IDDT, I don't know what I had yesterday, maybe I was tired. :s
Anyway, i'm glad you managed to shoot them all ! I don't know if I already did that myself.

Tyro said:

Oops, yes, of course I meant to quote you, I'm sorry. And yes, it is indeed IDDT, I don't know what I had yesterday, maybe I was tired. :s
Anyway, i'm glad you managed to shoot them all ! I don't know if I already did that myself.

Okeh Dokeh. Well, I'll be ready for the sequel.