Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Standing on monster

It was quite a long time since I played the original doom2, and now when the only thing I can run is port because that doom2 is pretty much impossible to run, so I forgot most of behavior of stuff back then. I'm quite curious if it was normal if you could fall onto monsters and remain possible to walk back then? For example nuts.wad on my port goes like - I start, take stuff and jump onto that legion - is it normal if I simply remain mobile while running over heads of monsters? Or would it behave different in normal doom? I need to know it only because I managed to make a so-so pacifist run while during gameplay I did archvile jump right onto some monster. Because there was already a load of spawn, I could walk over a good portion of map on top of monsters. Hope I am clear enough.

Players/monsters in vanilla have infinite height so they can never overlap, in short you couldn't stand on top of a monster or another player in vanilla.

You could always use Chocolate Doom as well to play with faithful original behavior without the need to run the vanilla .exe.

Being able to walk over and under things is something that you'll find in some ports, such as ZDoom or Eternity for example. Look around the "compatibility options" menu, and you should find something along the line of "actors are infinitely tall" or "actors can pass under and over others" or something to that effect.

Note that some modern maps may have been designed with this in mind and can actually be much harder with infinitely tall actors, as your movement can be blocked by enemies you do not see.

Yeah, got it.

Also, just out of curiosity, is having this option off (possible walking under/above monsters) forbidden in speedrunning or something like that, since it's a modded doom feature? Or does it really not matter that much?

Depends what speedrunning you do. Compet-n only allows the original exe. No port, not even ChocoDoom.

Otherwise, there's no such rule. Vanilla runs, port runs, TAS runs, all are welcome as long as you're honest about what the run is. See this thread.

It does not matter unless you're recording the demo for a certain purpose, such as a competition where there are rules in place for what game options (or executables) to use.

Meh, thumped by Gez again.

Yup, all demos are welcome in the demos forum here, though in many of the threads for the more popular wads for recording, there is a stated preference/recommendation for the demo format to use, as this gives a "level playing field" and ensures that you are playing the maps with settings that they were designed for and have been tested to work correctly with.

Strict time comparisons can't fairly be made between demos that make use of totally different behaviour. If you do "beat" an existing demo by running over monster's heads, you haven't necessarily "beaten" it at all - it's essentially a different category of demo. And if the map wasn't designed with running on monsters' heads in mind, then it might be seen as a bit of a cheap trick.

Incidentally, in the second room of nuts.wad, there is actually room to squeeze between the monsters (i.e. not standing on their heads) while in the air and being propelled by archie blasts. This is used in all the newer Nuts speed/pacifist runs.

Gez said:

Depends what speedrunning you do. Compet-n only allows the original exe. No port, not even ChocoDoom.

Otherwise, there's no such rule. Vanilla runs, port runs, TAS runs, all are welcome as long as you're honest about what the run is. See this thread.

Yeah, even this can be considered a speed run.

EarthQuake said:

Shit, turn on jumping and you could shave off like five seconds.

Why not just lower the console and type exitlevel? :P