Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When Shaikoten mentioned this a few months back, I sort of glanced at it with a "hey that's nice" (the website wasn't very informative on what was free and what wasn't, don't take it personally). Then Tuesday, fourzerotwo (IW community guy) mentions it on his Twitter, so I decide to give it a try. I was hooked. Then the next day it came up on the TF2 official blog, and now it has exploded.

In the last 24 hours, 4438 people registered, and 1615 people bought the game.

http://minecraft.net/stats.jsp

The game certainly deserves the hype it's getting. I'm not going to try to sell it to you (aside from the bandwagon I just ran you over with), I'm just going to point you to http://minecraft.net/

In the options there's a 3D anaglyph (red/cyan) mode, and since clipping Hannah Montana 3D shades to my glasses aren't exactly the optimal solution, I went ahead and ordered glasses just for this.

If anyone decides to start a multiplayer Classic server, please put up a link.

"# Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM. "

hmm, worth considering...

I was waiting for a thread to pop up for this.

It's a great game if your into sandbox/survival/construction games. I bought it a few months ago.

For those here that play it, my user name is Archvile68 (Not to be confused with Archvile78.)

Been meaning to buy this forever. It's really one of the better online games to come out in the last few years. The lofi aesthetic mixed with the almost lego like mechanics make it a lot of fun to play.

Purchaseded. Rather good for pissing away the hours on a weekend, heh.

This sounds like a great game to play. However, when I think about all the games I've bought that I barely played yet... my head starts swimming.

I used to play the shit out of it, but my comp craps out when rendering the huge distances. When I upgrade, I'm buying it immediately.

Also, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Never looked that interesting to me. If I want a mining simulator, I'll just play Dwarf Fortress.

Danarchy said:

Never looked that interesting to me. If I want a mining simulator, I'll just play Dwarf Fortress.

BUT WHAT ABOUT 3D DWARF FORTRESS????

I'd play it.

Well assuming that they didn't destroy the game while adding a third dimension.

DuckReconMajor said:

If you think that looks like a duck, then for the love of God don't ever pick up a hunting rifle.

Danarchy said:

What about it?

What I meant was that Minecraft was inspired by DF a lot, to the point where it might become 3D DF in the future. Notch already remarked that pumps were one of the most requested features.

Think about: Multiplayer Survival mode, where you and 10-12 other guys are building a fort (with the ability to save). Monster swarms, massive constructions, and even hordes of demons that spawn if you dig too deep.

Count me the hell in.

The author also has been adding a number of features and items. Saddles for riding on animals, mine carts and track that can move items or players around, switches, functioning dynamite, etc. I subscribe to the Minecraft page on ModDB and the guy is constantly updating it with all sorts of great things.

Hehe, we just got chickens yesterday. Suddenly I'm swimming in arrows... not like that's a bad thing, though I've ran myself out of flint at this point. :P

Also, I think this game needs some sort of "ADDICTION WARNING!" label in large, bold letters... or perhaps not, because driving someone away from the awesome that is Minecraft should be a sin worthy of five to ten years. Of Minecraft, that is.

*ahem*, yes, I like it. Also, I wonder if I'm the only one who tries to build massive structures inside the already-existing landscapes instead of clearing everything out. Underground is where it's at in this game anyway -- still need to finish exploring those massive slime-infested tunnels beneath my favorite subterranean river (I named it after myself, after all).

I'm "Xaser," naturally, in case I somehow escape my own mineworld long enough to show up on a server somewhere.

Kyka said:

If you think that looks like a duck, then for the love of God don't ever pick up a hunting rifle.

Well, I have since changed him to just have a yellow shirt like the color I use in Skulltag/ZDaemon.

Oh, and you guys keep dropping names, which is nice and all, but I can't seem to find any sort of friends interface. Is there one yet? That would be cool.

Xaser said:

Also, I wonder if I'm the only one who tries to build massive structures inside the already-existing landscapes instead of clearing everything out

You mean like this or do you not break anything at all?

Ah, that's a really nice lodge in that vid. Stuff like that, sorta, though my current house is built into the side of a hill -- neat mix of natural and man-made architecture, if nothing more. Still plenty to add on to it, though, but I've got plans for a pretty large fort on top of the nearby mountain. Original, eh? :P

I'm trying not to play it too much, though, else I'll forget about what I'm supposed to be working on...

Usually I always try to build my fortress in the middle of a large body of water to prevent monster swarms.

It takes a while, but it's a good defense.

Had to resize the sprites, so it took a tiny bit of effort, but mostly pasted, yes. Former Human might look better as he has a square head anyway, heh.

//EDIT:

I'll slap you with my roast pork.

I was an early adopter. It was pretty easy to see, even in early alpha, that this game was going to be a fucking huge success. My kudos to Notch for all of the freaking money he's raking in as a one man dev team. His open development and weekly updates are really a thing of legend. I wish all games were as exciting as this to see developed.

I went and purchased the alpha, but have been playing classic ever since. I've never had so much fun griefing before (like flooding someones underground throne room 3 separate times).

He's sold over 40,000 copies, which is roughly $800,000NZD... freaking amazing.

Ah, I love Minecraft, it's such an amazingly addictive time vampire.

Every time I get back into it I end up having to force myself to stop playing as I can't survive on weeks of sleeping 3 hours a night.

My Doomguy skin: http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=superjamie

I also can't believe how much money Notch has made from this. On his recent 1000-sale spike all I could think of was "Wow, you just made €10000 in 24 hours... on a Saturday!"

Hell's Vendetta said:

This game is difficult to put down. Also, has anyone noticed the creepy ambient sound when you're in a cave?

Heh, yeah. I nearly crapped my pants the first time I heard it. As if exploring caves filled with monsters wasn't creepy enough already. The worlds the game generates really are mind blowing. I remember on one map I was exploring a cave when I came to an area where there was a hole in the ceiling through which the sun shone. There was a waterfall pouring from the hole straight down in to a deep dark abyss directly below it. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a game.

The texture detail reminds me of Quake, and the general look reminds me of RobLox, which is phucking horrible. Still, this actually looks fun. Never heard of it 'till now.

Craigs said:

Heh, yeah. I nearly crapped my pants the first time I heard it. As if exploring caves filled with monsters wasn't creepy enough already. The worlds the game generates really are mind blowing. I remember on one map I was exploring a cave when I came to an area where there was a hole in the ceiling through which the sun shone. There was a waterfall pouring from the hole straight down in to a deep dark abyss directly below it. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a game.

Indeed, i managed to get 2 waterfalls coming out of the same mountain on my first generated level. I decided to make a base there and dig to the bottom and what do i find? A GIGANTIC natural cave with a mob spawner to boot. It was a very lucky find.

Clonehunter said:

The texture detail reminds me of Quake, and the general look reminds me of RobLox, which is phucking horrible. Still, this actually looks fun. Never heard of it 'till now.

You can actually download some fairly good looking hi-res texture packs. As far as the models go, the character models don't look anywhere near as shitty as the roblox models
http://legoless.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/roblox.png