Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malinku

Rustpoint E1 (map 2 is finished)

A limit removing Episode that will feature 5 maps. I use deConstruct Industrial Textures (decontex) as well as some textures Nick Baker made. The sky(s) come from Necrodome
I also have custom music (Radix: Beyond the Void map 3 midi by: Zero Prophet)
it is made for single player or co-op play. Its also my first attempt at adding Difficulty levels.

screenshots: (taken in skulltag)
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/Ogerz001/Screenshot_Doom_20100726_144048.png
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/Ogerz001/Screenshot_Doom_20100726_144013.png
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/Ogerz001/Screenshot_Doom_20100726_144104.png

map 1 and 2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bd5988

Might want to work on the lighting in the first shot, and the shadows in the second shot. They look quite unnatural. Other than that, it looks pretty exciting.

Also, do make sure it works in vanilla, including testing for visplane overflows. Else tag it as limit-removing or something else.

FDA, prboom+ 2.5.0.5 -complevel2 w/HUD. It's an interesting looking map, considering I haven't seen many maps that used deconstruct. I thought you used most of the textures pretty well, although it's pretty difficult not to overuse the gray concrete. Generally for supports I'd use less of the blocks and more of the top-edged stuff, if you can figure out what I mean there. I think some blocky supports join very awkwardly with the ceiling in the upper area where the ssg is. Like earthquake said, lighting is a bit of an issue - I think you forgot to darken the imp cage sectors in the big area. Just adding an extra sector or two for darkness gradients in the first and second shots would help greatly. The blue key area was veeeeerry wide open, you could probably reduce that a bit if you're keeping the monster count, maybe throw a few more things in there to keep the challenge up too.

So onto gameplay. Not very difficult but it doesn't need to be. It's a little difficult for the revenants to pose much of a threat where they teleported in, maybe teleport them into the hallway with the chaingunner window and use some block monster lines to keep them there? Speaking of that window, I found a teleporter pad behind a COMPWERD(?) panel in the big area opposite the blue key door, but it didn't work in -complevel 2. Check the line action on that.

A blast from go to whoa ! :)

Bugs ...

1. Monsters at line cannot teleport since there is no sector tag 26.

2. Teleport thing at sector 276 is flagged multiplayer. Is this intentional, since the player misses out on being able to be at sector 268 and surrounds ?

3. Sector 211 has the effect 26. This is not a vanilla sector effect.

4. There is a problem with MIDSPACE at sectors 206/205 in vanilla. Easily fixed by giving sector 206 a light level of 193.

5. Line 703 needs its back sidedef associated with sector 158 ( unclosed sector ) .

6. Sector 45 should have had the floor flat STKIM2F.

7. Sector 51 would look better with HEXF5 as the floor flat.

8. IMO, sector 167 should be a secret, since the player has to activate the switch at line 780 to open sector 157, and only a short time to get there.

ArmouredBlood said:

I found a teleporter pad behind a COMPWERD(?) panel in the big area opposite the blue key door, but it didn't work in -complevel 2. Check the line action on that.

That directly relates to my bug report point 2.

hawkwind said:

That directly relates to my bug report point 2.

More on this ...

This does need to be fixed i.e. multiplayer flag removed from T137, since if the player stays at sector 287, sector 285 closes and the player is trapped. Also line 1208 could do with an upper texture.

Sorry for the double post. Tried to delete but was denied ... :(

EarthQuake said:

Might want to work on the lighting in the first shot, and the shadows in the second shot. They look quite unnatural. Other than that, it looks pretty exciting.

Totally agree with EarthQuake here. The smaller brighter squares to the left of the first screen need to be dimmer, I think this would fix why it looks weird, and that shadow thing on the grassy area is way too dark.

But looks really good otherwise.

What texture pack are the textures from, just outta interest?

Not bad at all. Gave it a quick runthrough with Chocolate, though I couldn't finish it all the way since it bombed out when I hit the sector with the (as far as Chocolate/Vanilla is concerned) nonexistent type 26 that Hawk mentioned. Still, very solid and polished, though simple and straightforward. Would make a good early map for a episode of some sort, though a few side areas here and there to explore can always help make a good map better.

Bonus props for using Radix music. :P

Nice map, I enjoyed it. :)

Outside of what others have said, I have also noticed that this corner (in the red key room) VPO's when the outside area is opened up. Using ZenNode with options "-n2 -nq -rf -bc" I got it down to 133 or so.

Also, IMO, this map is screaming for a different sky. That stock D2 sky just looks so out of place with all the new DeConstruct textures.

Kyka said:

What texture pack are the textures from, just outta interest?

Malinku said:

I use deConstruct Industrial Textures (decontex).

the sector with the 26 action tag is supposed to have that as the sector tag instead (just put it in the wrong area)

I forgot to take the multiplayer tag off that teleport thing (and the only time I tested it was in multiplayer XP)

Fixed all bugs other that Hawkwind pointed out

Fixed the VPO

lighting: made the outside supports 208 instead of 192. Changed the small lights in shot 1 to 192 instead of 255.

no gameplay changes.

new version: NOW TOTALLY WORKING IN VANILLA.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/g8udj0

Hi there!
Just played the map and I found it really nice :)
It had a grungy look, which I liked very much! For the gameplay I would say it would be perfectly fitting for a map01 or map02 for a megawad. Really good job overall! The fights were nice and had a good set of variety and I found the ammunition quite right, because when I ran out of shotgun ammo, I just went berserk on some imps and demons for a change :)

Some things I would suggest:
- The chaingun secret was almost impossible to find. I had to open the map in the editor to find that the first switch also opens the secret door. This is too hard to figure out, because you don't think that a switch opens two doors at once (or maybe I'm just an idiot^^). Maybe place a switch somewhere else, which is hard to find, that opens the secret instead.

- 2 HOM in the chaingun secret room! (obvious find if you are inside)

- I didn't like the choice of 255 brightness in the last areas. For some reason I think that Doom levels should never (or only in small highlighted areas) have 255 brightness sectors. It just looks amateurish to me. Doom just looks ugly if you put brightness too high. The textures just look too bright and the grungy style doesn't come across so well in the outdoor parts. But that of course is just my opinion.

Are you going to make another map in this style? I would really like to play more :)

Hi! just did a quick playtrough. fun gameplay, nice architecture, and i liked the flow of the map too. the idea with monsters teleporting in right at the start was a little unexpected, but clever :)

The only bug i found is the chaingun HOM one (no lower/upper texture on the window/door on the outside).

The chaingun secret was easy enough to find, IMHO, i managed to figure it out on the third press of the switch, while running around tysoning the HK's for fun :)

Heh, I was just thinking about this map a few days ago. I'd seriously do midis of the other Radix tracks if you'd make a Rustpoint episode.

I realize this is a bit late since you've already uploaded the map, but whatever. :P The beginning felt a bit hallway-ish and boring, the trap at the shotgun was nice but after that there was a duller part where you were just shooting at monsters that came from the front. The fight at the two small doors after picking up the SSG was really boring too, I would have removed at least half the monsters that are able to come at the doors or make it so that they spawn in once you're outside. Just waiting them to come at the doors is boring. Then, I would have added either a few shells more or a chaingun at the hell knight, before the four cacos and the pain elemental. There is enough ammo for them, and yeah there's the berserk fist, but you're probably going to have to pistol quite a bit there and that's boring. Last, I would have tried some other ground texture for the outside areas. The clean and tidy grass clashes with the gritty, dirty and grainy wall textures.

Xaser said:

Heh, I was just thinking about this map a few days ago. I'd seriously do midis of the other Radix tracks if you'd make a Rustpoint episode.

That be great as I do plan on making more maps for this.

I'm not really going to change the gameplay of the first part of the map (not outside). I will be making the first outside fight have teleporting monsters so it is not a door fight.

I fix the hom in the uploaded version but forgot to make the cg secret jump proof.

Hey Malinku.

Just had a play through this map, finally got around to it, and it is a pretty good map overall. I would have preferred it a little harder, but it is a pretty good start to an episode.

Couple of bugs on the map (I did download the latest version posted here)
-linedefs 1335 and 1330 need some aligning on their lower textures.
-as mentioned, the chaingun secret HOM's
-sector 152 needs to have the sky texture removed from its ceiling.
-the linedef on the side of sector 152 next to the window, the lower texture facing into the door moves when the door opens. You will see what I mean when you see it.
-I don't like the way the window at sector 122 closes fully after hitting the switch next to it, though being vanilla I am not sure what you could do about that. I like the idea of making it a lift that lowers instead of a door. Would also make the door at sector 152 seem less poo as well, seeing it opens directly into the sky when viewed from the outside.
-Surely finding the teleport at sector 287 should trigger a secret somewhere.

I liked this map, gameplay was pretty solid, but I do agree with a lot of what Jodwin said re gameplay. In regards to the grass texture, I didn't think it was too bad, but try some different textures anyway. I think there would be something that might look better. (I did try a few and I liked STKIM2F, tho this might make the whole level look too brown.)

Good work tho, I will definitely look forward to more of this. :) The map design and layout was very good.

Started working on map 2. Its going to be another grungy metal building.

I finalized the plans for the episode.

It will have 13 maps
Will have 2 base map themes. Grungy metal buildings, TBA (still making/finding textures for this one). 7 will be in the first theme styled, 6 for the other theme.
Will be using Radix: Beyond the Void music for each map

screenshot map02:
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv326/Ogerz001/Screenshot_Doom_20100910_175253.png (lighting not finished)

Well in his defense, Decontex isn't really the most versatile texture pack ever.

I gotta agree, it does look a little plain. But the first map looked fine in spite of the color limitations, I think it is just the big, empty walls that make it look plain.

Glad to see progress on this. Nice work.

Personally I think it looks fine; but 7 maps of it would get old. I'd say you can get away with 4 max, if you don't make them any bigger than the first map.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :p

The secreenshot is just showing the base textures. I will be adding in different colors but I have to make those textures. (as decontex has only gray brown and white textures)

I played through the first map and it was a lot of fun, I didn't find any part of the gameplay dull at at all, but then again I ran past a lot of the monsters when I started running out of ammo. :P The level also looked pretty good, but the out door sections could have done with a more "natural feel" though.

It's also pretty cool to see your making more levels like this, as I felt hungry for more at the end of the map.

Looking good dude.

The colors on the new sky match pretty well the colors in the map itself.